Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Larger Travel Tripods

I've been researching travel tripods for some time, and have read most of the posts here. The reviews (outside of the PF) for the Sirui 25x are somewhat mixed. I'd be using it for both landscapes and wildlife. Definitely partial to the built in monopods.

I am willing to spend a bit more now to avoid spending it later - though Gitzo is still too much. I'm committed to carbon to get weight down and improve dampening. I'm debating the MeFoto Roadtrip and Globetrotter, the 3 legged Brian and Eddie, or the Induro 114 GT. For me the keys are packing down below 18 inches, holding 12+ lbs, and solid as a rock.

I welcome any comments or feedback. Black Friday is approaching - it may just be that whoever hits the sales rack is what I end up with. But I'd like to focus my lust properly....

11-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the 3LT Eddie and the Brian. The Brian is good but very light, solid but not rock solid. The Eddie is rock solid and packs small. Really can't fault it.

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinG Quote
I've been researching travel tripods for some time, and have read most of the posts here. The reviews (outside of the PF) for the Sirui 25x are somewhat mixed. I'd be using it for both landscapes and wildlife. Definitely partial to the built in monopods.

I am willing to spend a bit more now to avoid spending it later - though Gitzo is still too much. I'm committed to carbon to get weight down and improve dampening. I'm debating the MeFoto Roadtrip and Globetrotter, the 3 legged Brian and Eddie, or the Induro 114 GT. For me the keys are packing down below 18 inches, holding 12+ lbs, and solid as a rock.

I welcome any comments or feedback. Black Friday is approaching - it may just be that whoever hits the sales rack is what I end up with. But I'd like to focus my lust properly....
11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a 3 Legged Eddie and I am very pleased with it. It's light, sturdy and pretty compact when folded down. And it is very tall once extended. Came with a nice carrying bag and tools. It has a nice carbon fibre finish and nothing looks or feels cheap on it.

So Eddie gets my vote
11-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
I have the 3LT Eddie and the Brian. The Brian is good but very light, solid but not rock solid. The Eddie is rock solid and packs small. Really can't fault it.
Wow - sounds like tripod buying addiction! I hope I don't catch that, too!

11-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a mefoto road trip and it is a well built tripod. Excellent weight to stability to price ratio. The only issue i've had is that the head will unscrew sometimes from the mount, but all threaded heads do this... as much as I would like a 3legged thing, I can't justify something that expensive that I would scratch up working landscapes and travel.
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Moved to more appropriate area.
11-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Slik Pro 330DX-B, with Manfrotto 494 head on the short center column. It is a great value ($135 including head) and quite sturdy (8 lbs capacity) for the weight (<3 lbs). I did two posts to Hin's blog a few years back about narrowing my choices and how it performs:

Hin's Photo Corner: The Magic Tripod

Hin's Photo Corner: Magic Tripod, Part II

Steve

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 05:16 PM ----------

I'm committed to carbon to get weight down and improve dampening.
Ooops...missed that part. Ignore my titanium alloy suggestion above

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.
11-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't hesitate on the MeFoto. I can't speak to it being superior or inferior to the others you are considering. However, I can say after having the MeFoto for a couple of years, it's a bargain. I am still impressed with mine. If you find a deal on one, grab it.
11-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the MeFoto RoadTrip. It has held my 645N with some pretty heavy lenses on it.
I keep it stored in its bag with the twist-locks loose for quick deployment. Zip, flip, twist the locks.
11-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm committed to carbon to get weight down and improve dampening.
Now that I've tasted it, I too am partial to carbon. I cannot believe how light and sturdy that material is.

I'm debating the MeFoto Roadtrip and Globetrotter
I have handled the Sirui T-025X and those MeFoto side by side. the MeFoto are excellent, no actual faults there, but the carbon versions are heavier and more expensive than the Sirui, don't collapse as small, and showed no visible improvement on stability.

I think you'd be well served with the MeFoto but would be better served with the Sirui. Regarding the other models, I haven't handled them.
11-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - sounds like tripod buying addiction! I hope I don't catch that, too!
Bought the Eddie and was gifted the Brian, so the addiction is one off. Brian makes an excellent light/off camera flash stand as it extends to > 7ft
11-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm debating the MeFoto Roadtrip and Globetrotter, the 3 legged Brian and Eddie, or the Induro 114 GT. For me the keys are packing down below 18 inches, holding 12+ lbs, and solid as a rock.
Three of the tripods in this group review (including the Eddie and Globetrotter) meet your needs. Read the group conclusion for a comparison of their merits. BTW, Induro and MeFoto are both slightly modified Benros, and MeFoto is the best bargain of the bunch in the US.

Consider the Sirui N1204 or 2204 over the 025x. The latter is an ultra-compact tripod, which simply can't be as solid as the larger competitors you mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Now that I've tasted it, I too am partial to carbon.
You really shouldn't lick your tripod... too often.

Last edited by panoguy; 11-04-2014 at 11:45 AM.
11-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
And don't lick a metal one when it's cold out... Carbon fibre is much safer for the tripod licker among us
11-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought a carbon tripod for $ 100, it holds up to 8 kg.
The staff is very light and very compact, suits me completely, but I do not often use it.
I bought on ebey
11-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Three of the tripods in this group review (including the Eddie and Globetrotter) meet your needs. Read the group conclusion for a comparison of their merits. BTW, Induro and MeFoto are both slightly modified Benros, and MeFoto is the best bargain of the bunch in the US.

Consider the Sirui N1204 or 2204 over the 025x. The latter is an ultra-compact tripod, which simply can't be as solid as the larger competitors you mentioned.

The Sirui 2204 is a decent option - no monopod but I'm ok with the flip locks and lower height might not be an issue.