Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monopods

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Sirui P-204S Aluminum Photo/Video Monopod BSRP204S B&H Photo

It looks pretty stable with the larger feet. I have a very sturdy tripod, but find I don't use it as much as I should, as it's rather heavy for me.

11-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes it looks stable, but think if you really want to have monopod with the feet. I never missed it, most monopod are stable without it. I would advise leightweight tripod, or sturdy, but simple monopod.
11-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, I would want the feet on a monopod. I'm thinking of night exposures, etc., where I don't want to stand & hold it. Even then I'm sure the camera would sway a little back & forth during a time exposure without the feet for stability.
11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with that model but it's very similar to the one I own from Manfrotto.

Manfrotto 560B-1 Aluminum Fluid Video Monopod RC2 Quick 560B-1

I do like mine - with feet. The Sirui has a detachable foot, very cool actually. Honestly, it looks like a good one. My operational comment on a monopod with feet is that the feet, when folded, sometimes get caught up in things and is sometimes hard to strap on to my camera back pack, but...it does give me a stable platform for my camera or long telies.

Edit: the foot...I find that the foot is very useful step on for stability or to use as a quick camera tripod (carefully balanced mind you). and you don't have to use it either.

I'd say go for it.

11-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yep, I would want the feet on a monopod. I'm thinking of night exposures, etc., where I don't want to stand & hold it. Even then I'm sure the camera would sway a little back & forth during a time exposure without the feet for stability.
This sounds like it could result in a dropped camera. Do be cautious.
11-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Blackcloudbrew! At my age, I won't be backpacking, so no worries about attaching it to a pack. Glad to hear you like yours with the feet; this is what I was looking for, someone that's used one with feet.
11-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michaelina2, thanks; but I'm not interested in this type of monopod, although I can definitely see it's advantages for quick shooting!

11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
This sounds like it could result in a dropped camera. Do be cautious.
Unfrotunately I have to agree, this feet is maybe OK additional support, but even with this monopod is not a tripod.
11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
AquaDome, I would never be away from the camera on the monopod; rather I just don't want to stand & support the monopod while taking exposures. I don't even leave my camera on my extremely sturdy tripod.
11-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
Unfrotunately I have to agree, this feet is maybe OK additional support, but even with this monopod is not a tripod.
That's all I would be using it for, is additional support, not to walk away & leave the camera on it.
11-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
appearance is impressive, I think it will be no problem a good assistant in your business.
I have a nice carbon fiber tripod, bought on ebey.
On the surface it does not seem powerful, but it keeps excellent load!
good shopping!
11-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you might want to consider this accessory (which I own) which works with any monopod with a 3/8" thread for its foot:

Benro ST1 Hydraulic Universal Three Feet Support Stand for Monopod 3 8 Screw | eBay

Michael
11-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michael, thanks for that link! I didn't know that this was available separately. Good price also!
11-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think having those three feet kind of defeats the purpose of the monopod. You might as well carry a light tripod then.
11-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well maybe; but I'm going to give one a try. Even a lightweight tripod is bulky, compared to a monopod, while carrying. Where you would carry the monopod, the feet would not interfere.