Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax AF-540 FGZ Locking Pin problem survey

OK...we've read through the threads here about people having problems with the flash getting stuck on the shoe because the locking pin doesn't retract when it should.

Is there a chance that those that have the flash can tell us if they have had the problem?

Is it possibly due to people not making sure the flash is not fully installed on the shoe before locking it down and then consequently bending the arm the pin is attached to?

Or is this something that is in reality a relatively rare situation?

I know there are threads that discuss this problem but if the frequency can somehow be documented we would have a better chance of knowing whether others want to buy the flash or perhaps even getting Pentax to fixing the problem if it is indeed a common problem or on the other hand if it really isn't that common a problem that would keep people from purchasing alternative flashes.

Thanks for those that contribute..

05-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have the flash, but only for about three months. No problems to report, so far I really like it.
05-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
...i guess since no one seems to be willing to participate as soon as I get the 540 flash tomorrow I'll return it before i even open the package and get a flash that people seem to have some enthusiasm for.
05-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

so, because people don't say they've had issues, you're just going to assume it has issues, and return it immediately? that makes LOTS of sense.

05-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well...since there are other threads that people have written that complain about the issue and since no one wants to say they haven't had any issues the people that are complaining have gotten my attention and i'll base my decision on that.
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
well...since there are other threads that people have written that complain about the issue and since no one wants to say they haven't had any issues the people that are complaining have gotten my attention and i'll base my decision on that.
Honestly Sprags, I wouldn't be so hasty. This thread has been alive for less than 7 hours. On a Sunday. The only reason I'm on the forum now is because it's belting rain outside. Also, the Accesories forum is #3 in traffic, way behind the DSLR discussion. Lastly, most people are more likely to gripe about a problem rather than heap praise on something that works.

That being said, I've not had a problem with the 540FGZ locking pin. My biggest problem with the flash is that it doesn't have a PC contact.
05-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have one, I have had no issues with it.

Does that help?

D.

05-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
I have one, I have had no issues with it.

Does that help?

D.
...except you sent me a private message asking how to plug up the hole after removing the pin...

though i am convinced that perhaps i should wait a while to get perhaps more results...
05-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
...except you sent me a private message asking how to plug up the hole after removing the pin...

though i am convinced that perhaps i should wait a while to get perhaps more results...

No... I posted a message asking about the thread in which someone was talking about it.

I wanted to know more about the refrence you made in a thread to having to remove the pin.

For the record i have not modified my flash nor will I be.

It is working just fine for me.

D.
05-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #10

I poke my head in this area about once every three weeks or so - I guess this is your lucky day if you're desperate for responses.

I've had my AF-540 for just over a year now. The only problem I've had with it is worrying about the pin after reading about other people's troubles.

Luckily, I was too distracted taking photos to dwell on it overly long.
05-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

im sorry if im asking too late for this. is there any ever official responses for this matter from pentax. i am bout to buy this flash in about two month from now.
05-19-2008, 04:50 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have had this flash for about a year now and use it regularly - no problems.

After careful consideration of the mechanism and MANY posts I make the following points.
  1. The pin is pushed home into the camera socket hole by a small internal spring in the flash shoe.
  2. It is withdrawn from the camera socket hole by a long ramp on the top of the locking ring.
  3. If the shoe is not full pushed to the front of the camera socket or is twisted then it is possible to lock (jam) the pin somewhat.
  4. As there is no "feel" due to the big mechanical advantage of the ramp the lifter pin just goes up whether or not the locking pin is jammed. This breaks the small plastic link between the pin lifted by the ramp and the locking pin.
  5. The only way to remove the flash then is to use a long shafted fine Phillips head driver to unscrew the foot from the flash and to delve in the foot internals to lift the pin.
As I fear I may, due to rushing, forget to seat the shoe properly when I remove the flash from the camera I may end up with a jam, I have filled the socket hole in the camera shoe with a short cylindrical piece of wood made by carving down a cocktail toothpick tip. I have done it this way, so that if I find that my flash tends to work loose when only only using the shoe friction and the clamping ring pressure for retention, I can easily revert to the designed locking system by picking out the wood with a needle.

Rod
05-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RodConn Quote
I have had this flash for about a year now and use it regularly - no problems.

After careful consideration of the mechanism and MANY posts I make the following points.
  1. The pin is pushed home into the camera socket hole by a small internal spring in the flash shoe.
  2. It is withdrawn from the camera socket hole by a long ramp on the top of the locking ring.
  3. If the shoe is not full pushed to the front of the camera socket or is twisted then it is possible to lock (jam) the pin somewhat.
  4. As there is no "feel" due to the big mechanical advantage of the ramp the lifter pin just goes up whether or not the locking pin is jammed. This breaks the small plastic link between the pin lifted by the ramp and the locking pin.
  5. The only way to remove the flash then is to use a long shafted fine Phillips head driver to unscrew the foot from the flash and to delve in the foot internals to lift the pin.
As I fear I may, due to rushing, forget to seat the shoe properly when I remove the flash from the camera I may end up with a jam, I have filled the socket hole in the camera shoe with a short cylindrical piece of wood made by carving down a cocktail toothpick tip. I have done it this way, so that if I find that my flash tends to work loose when only only using the shoe friction and the clamping ring pressure for retention, I can easily revert to the designed locking system by picking out the wood with a needle.

Rod
I haven't got the flash but I like your solution, better than removing the pin.
Good thinking.

- Bert
05-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sell Pentax flashes. Have never sent one in with bad pin. Never. My 540 has worked 6 months without pin problem. Have sent flahes in for other problems. Think people force the thumb crank too much. People used to do that with the screw tighten flashes from all brands.
thanks
barondla

Enter the Point & Shoot contest. Any brand, any camera, except slr. Any subject. In P&S forum.
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got mine last night...I can see how if you aren't careful about making sure the locking ring doesn't have the pin retracted all the way before trying to install or remove the flash it can easily become damaged. The pin and its mechanism are kinda small in scale compared to the size and mass of the entire flash. Even though I said I was going to return it and get the Metz I think I'm going to keep it.