Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Big nose. Big problem.

Hello friends I have a predicament that is rather annoying. I have been shooting with the K-3 some time now and I have run into this almost every time. I have a hard time being able to see the entire frame through the view finder when I hold the camera to my face.

Problem 1. My nose is big. How big? well it's relative to anybody but to give context my nose is a lot like Ian Mckellon's. When I try to look through the view finder I have to keep my head at the right angle so I can get my nose out of the way and make contact with my glasses to the view finder.

Problem 2. I wear glasses. If there's any residue on the view finder my glasses pick it up. And two it creates more space between me and the viewfinder.

Would the viewfinder Loupe 0-me53 magnifier help? Yes I know I can use live view. But most lenses just seem to work better without live view. So any suggestions besides plastic surgery would be great to hear. Thanks again friends.

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 10:57 PM ----------

I should also point out the diopter doesn't help me...my vision is poor. So my glasses have to stay.

11-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AbadPhotography Quote
Hello friends I have a predicament that is rather annoying. I have been shooting with the K-3 some time now and I have run into this almost every time. I have a hard time being able to see the entire frame through the view finder when I hold the camera to my face.

Problem 1. My nose is big. How big? well it's relative to anybody but to give context my nose is a lot like Ian Mckellon's. When I try to look through the view finder I have to keep my head at the right angle so I can get my nose out of the way and make contact with my glasses to the view finder.

Problem 2. I wear glasses. If there's any residue on the view finder my glasses pick it up. And two it creates more space between me and the viewfinder.

Would the viewfinder Loupe 0-me53 magnifier help? Yes I know I can use live view. But most lenses just seem to work better without live view. So any suggestions besides plastic surgery would be great to hear. Thanks again friends.

I have the O-ME53 loupe on my k-5IIs it works great for me... it is so good that I bought another one for my backup k-5; and don't think that will ever go back without it.
11-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's been a fair bit of discussion here about this subject, one way or another. I don't have a particularly aquiline nose, but I've found that using a Tenpa eyepiece magnifier gets my eye further back from the camera back, and allows for a much more comfortable viewing through the eyepiece. This accessory stands further out from the LCD plane than the Pentax version, and I find that the eyecup provides better shade from stray light. You can find them for a moderate price on eBay. The magnifier, of course, increases the size of the viewed image, at the expense of a little brightness, but I don't find that so great as to be a problem for me.

PS - I wear specs, too, but I take them off to view through the eyepiece, as, unlike with some binoculars, camera eyepieces never seem to have been designed with enough eye relief to allow for un-occluded vision, so you're constantly moving your eye to see the whole picture.
11-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The O-me53 does help in that it holds your eye away from the rear of the camera just a bit, good for that nose. However, it also compresses the view a bit because of the magnification and makes it harder to see the info at the bottom of the viewfinder.

I also wear glasses, but take them off to shoot. I have the diopter adjusted to be correct without my eyeglasses. Fortunately the adjustment is within the limits of my prescription. You might try that to see if it will work for you.

11-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The O-me53 does help in that it holds your eye away from the rear of the camera just a bit, good for that nose. However, it also compresses the view a bit because of the magnification and makes it harder to see the info at the bottom of the viewfinder.

I also wear glasses, but take them off to shoot. I have the diopter adjusted to be correct without my eyeglasses. Fortunately the adjustment is within the limits of my prescription. You might try that to see if it will work for you.
I noticed it magnifies a bit initially, but after a while, I don't feel any difference. And I also don't have any problem reading the information off the bottom of the viewfinder. The O-ME53 protrudes more out (about 3/8 inch) from the rear LCD; this certainly makes it easier to use my left eye to look through the viewfinder.
11-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Original Poster

Thank you. The diopeter does not help me unfortunately. My eyes are around -4 and at the best settings I can't even see the numbers in the viewfinder.

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 11:16 PM ----------

I should have specified also that I want to see the whole entire image corner to corner. I have k-1000's and other 35mm vintage cameras and have no trouble seeing the whole image. The k-3, perhaps it's because APS-C, is much different. It takes more effort to view and compose each shot.
11-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. The diopeter does not help me unfortunately. My eyes are around -4 and at the best settings I can't even see the numbers in the viewfinder.

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 11:16 PM ----------

I should have specified also that I want to see the whole entire image corner to corner. I have k-1000's and other 35mm vintage cameras and have no trouble seeing the whole image. The k-3, perhaps it's because APS-C, is much different. It takes more effort to view and compose each shot.
Interesting. I have a bit of a big nose too, and have not struck this problem. Which eye do you use?

11-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had one of those magnifying eye pieces awhile back for my K-5 but eventually took it off and went back to the stock one. It was just too much hassle and seemed to cut off the edges of the frame from my view. I have a long nose and thick glasses so I understand your problem. If you shoot with your right eye, you can usually angle a bit to the side and get decently close to the eye cup. I just accept that my cheek and nose are going to smear the back LCD a bit. I put on one of those clear, stick-on screen protectors and carry a soft cleaning cloth just for the LCD and live with it. If you shoot with your left eye, the only way I found that works is to really angle to the side so the left cheek is pressed against the LCD. That means you are actually looking through the viewfinder through the outside corner of your eye. That can be problematic if your glasses cause distortion at that angle.

It just takes practice to find the best eye and angle that will work for you. All the more reason to get out and practice shooting.

Good luck.
11-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Do a search for Pentax Diopter on ebay. The eye-piece on the K-3 is the same mount as the M-bodies.
There is also a variety of corrective lenses out there for Nikon and Canon. You might be able to stuff one into something like the Pentax 13A magnifier.
The Pentax 13A magnifier gives you about an inch of space, plus it flips up. However, it fits a K-body. The clip is a wee bit too narrow to mount the K-3 unless you adjust it.
11-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11-09-14 at 10:57 PM ----------

I should also point out the diopter doesn't help me...my vision is poor. So my glasses have to stay.
I also wear strong glasses and have a larger than average nose.

Have you thought of adapting Canon EP-EX15 or EP-EX15 II ? It should be easy to adapt. It extends the eyepiece exit pupil out 5/8". They are designed for glasses wearers and cost around $15 on Amazon a dollar more at B & H. You might need to buy a Canon eye cup to put over it.
11-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe these cameras, as designed by the Japanese, have not taken aquilinity into much consideration when designing the ergonomics. [We, Asians, have usually small, sometimes, even "flat" noses.]

I wear glasses too. I hope that they can take the dioptre correction to -5. I actually have to use O-ME to aid my poor eyesight.
11-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I recently started wearing glasses but I found I needed to keep them on - most of the photos I try to take at home are of birds in the local forests, and it's just impractical to spot a bird then take off the glasses. I still haven't managed to get the viewfinder adjusted correctly.
11-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've always wondered why they don't put the lens completely to one side for this reason - especially the MILCs. Since the digital camera there has been no need to put the lens in the middle. On my K5ii, the lens is mostly left but not completely. Perhaps due to sensor mechanisms. I wonder if they could move it even further to the left. Yes, I have a biggish nose and wear glasses :-S

EDIT: Of course in the case of the MILCs, I'm talking about putting the viewfinder over to the side.

Last edited by k5astro; 11-10-2014 at 07:52 AM.
11-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I've always wondered why they don't put the lens completely to one side for this reason
On the K-x, they pretty much did.

It's the "flagships" that have the extra body piece that seems to be causing the trouble.
11-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
On the K-x, they pretty much did.

It's the "flagships" that have the extra body piece that seems to be causing the trouble.
I've just noticed that the K-S1 looks even farther over - like the K-x, no knob on the left.