Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Thomson IPA Quote
Hi Veronica (Sorver),

please don't feel hesitant at helping by any means. It is by these sorts of things, sharing each other's knowledge, experiences & tricks that we all learn and progress in our photographic journey and skills.

Also, if I can be of any assistance with certain things, settings or advice please let me know, either through here or message me on fbook or my redbubble site. I did have a look through your images and there are some real beauties there plus you have been fortunate to go to some special places and capture those aurora shots.
Keep up the the great work and continue to feed your talent & passion in the days ahead.

BTW, if ever you venture down my way around Geelong in Victoria, please contact me and we can possible arrange a shoot together at some of my special locations nearby.

Cheers and thanks again,

Phil T.
Thanks too, for the earlier posts and it seems obvious when you think about it. Maybe just being a male (and 'not bothering to read the instructions' properly) I overlooked where to turn off the Auto Power off.
Thanks Phil and likewise if you ever find yourself up on the darling downs in Qld would be happy to show you around and no not being male just not having to use it like I had in the previous month I still had to go through and check hehe.

Yes very fortunate or very determined saved for 4 years for the trip to Alaska but worth every cent and will do it again.
Photography replaced my horse passion so it won't disappear in a hurry and when I can blend it with my love of travel even better 😜. It seems to have dragged up another interest of identifying birds and insects as well.
I am sure at some stage I will be calling upon your expertise. cant wait to see that breath taking lightning shot when you catch it .

02-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flat Black Quote
Cheers Sorver, yes i switched it into MF as per the instruction sheet, i will have another play tomorrow and see what i can work out, when i couldn't get it to work i changed the camera setting from single shot to remote continuous but from reading above in Jabiru's post he said something along the lines of no settings to change.

One thing i did notice i still had everything on and i unplugged the cable from the camera and it took a shot, does the same if you plug it back in, not sure if this behaviour is correct.
I have a movo trigger and when I unplug it while the camera is still powered on the shutter will trigger.....I have yet to have the opportunity to use it in the field to try to capture lightning but I have a few times set it up and experimented using the af-200fg flash with room lights on and off with some success and adjustments.....pretty sure I will get frustrated the first few real attempts but think success will come with gained experienced........my approach will be setting up for a typical single exposure for the day given the light and like a firework at night.........just waiting on the opportunities!!!
02-25-2015, 01:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I have a movo trigger and when I unplug it while the camera is still powered on the shutter will trigger.....I have yet to have the opportunity to use it in the field to try to capture lightning but I have a few times set it up and experimented using the af-200fg flash with room lights on and off with some success and adjustments.....pretty sure I will get frustrated the first few real attempts but think success will come with gained experienced........my approach will be setting up for a typical single exposure for the day given the light and like a firework at night.........just waiting on the opportunities!!!
I hope you get a storm with the flashes so you can try it for real and if not the fireworks are pretty cool too hope you get the opportunity real soon. I was so lucky we had an electrical storm the day after I received it so pretty much got to try it out straight away. There is no doubt success does come with experience but also a bit of luck and opportunity at times too. I admit I watch the weather like a hawk so if storms are predicted I have everything ready to go on the stand so all I have to do is walk or rush out the door so it hasn't passed me by by the time I have set up. Sometimes it's a waste of time and sometimes I get lucky. Hope you get your lucky streak. Can't wait to see your light works whether it be Mother Nature or man made
02-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

thanks Sorver appreciate that!! very much looking forward to the opportunity.....kinda tuff getting something like this goin into winter!!

02-26-2015, 04:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Sorver appreciate that!! very much looking forward to the opportunity.....kinda tuff getting something like this goin into winter!!
Yeah but the weather is unpredictable hopefully in your favour 🙏
02-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #36
Pentaxian

hahaha! fingers crossed!
02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hahaha! fingers crossed!
Definately don't give up had a corker come thru at 3am this morning totally unexpected but I wasn't ready and was feeling a tad lazy and thought by the time I would be ready it would be gone but no it lasted for 2 hrs sigh.. So there is definately hope 😀

02-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #38
Pentaxian

hahaha...dang!
04-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #39
Pentaxian

well finally had a storm that I could possibly shoot out my front door.......the movo trigger did go off for good flashes of lightning even one in the line of sight but it did not capture it.....it was night time and I did 10sec exposures when triggered.....disappointing but atleast an experience using the device.....I think I will eventually catch some someday with the trigger
04-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well finally had a storm that I could possibly shoot out my front door.......the movo trigger did go off for good flashes of lightning even one in the line of sight but it did not capture it.....it was night time and I did 10sec exposures when triggered.....disappointing but atleast an experience using the device.....I think I will eventually catch some someday with the trigger
Dang I am so disappointed for you. I find the sheet lightning not so great to capture the folk lightning is much more impressive. I ended up ripping down my hubby's xmas lights the blinking on them were setting my trigger off unnecessarily. Was the exposure ok on them, were you just not capturing the flash? How frustrating. What was your F stop? How wide is your lens? I am all of these are fine I just can't believe you didn't get at least one.
04-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #41
Pentaxian

yeh me too.....had a second storm and the trigger went off but alas not strikes in frame...I only saw 1 bolt through the trees........really I cannot complain yet as it has missed only the one possible strike and the camera was inside looking out the front door/screen door...........the exposures were fine.....however they may get over exposed if it were to catch bolt....I forget the f-stop on the 10 sec exposures....the last time I bounced between night scene mode and landscape mode......I will know if I ever get any bolts/strikes in my line of sight! that's kinda funny about the xmas lights!!