Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #16

hi Sorver, any updates ?

when you said you have had some hits and misses ? can you elaborate on the misses ?
Currently looking at the AEO micro 4 but now interested in the Aussie one.

cheers
Darren

11-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flat Black Quote
hi Sorver, any updates ?

when you said you have had some hits and misses ? can you elaborate on the misses ?
Currently looking at the AEO micro 4 but now interested in the Aussie one.

cheers
Darren
Hi Darren I sm very happy with the trigger like anything it is having a wide lens to get you a better chance of capturing the Lightning the misses are basically me not having the lens the right direction. I have no issues in recommending this product it has been fantastic I got some more shots that I will put up,

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 03:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Hi Darren I sm very happy with the trigger like anything it is having a wide lens to get you a better chance of capturing the Lightning the misses are basically me not having the lens the right direction. I have no issues in recommending this product it has been fantastic I got some more shots that I will put up,
You can see a few that I took last week I just uploaded them on the go from my iPhone
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/sorver/15716877220/
11-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #18

Thanks for the feedback Sorver
Looking forward to your future pics.

I've sent an email to them.
11-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback Sorver
Looking forward to your future pics.

I've sent an email to them.
No worries. Martin is a really lovely guy and has given me great customer service I don't think you will be anything but happy with it. Can't wait to see your future shots either 😜

12-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #20

Hey Sorver, i received my trigger today, i also found Martin's customer service exceptional.

now i just have to wait for some Pilbara storms to roll in

cheers for the heads-up

Darren
12-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

I recently got one of those DSLR Lightning Triggers from the ICE IN SPACE Astronomy Website shop. Thought it was pretty good value for $99 and included a rain cover as well. A local Australia Guy makes them and he offers a lifetime warranty on his item.. Hence I thought it seemed like a pretty good deal... Well when it arrived it was well packed and seemed to be well worth the dollars.... Got to try it out the other day and was very pleased with the results. No settings to change. just put it on your camera and was good to go.. It did take lots of shots of nothing as it triggers on just about all lightning flashes, but does get the ones that fall in front of the lense.... Very happy with this item and it works very well. I am now going to give it a try on Daytime shots as I can't do that with time exposures. This seems to be the only way of getting daytime lightning images..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 300D DIGITAL  Photo 
01-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Sorver, i received my trigger today, i also found Martin's customer service exceptional.

now i just have to wait for some Pilbara storms to roll in

cheers for the heads-up

Darren
My NYE success almost felt like I was cheating set her up and let the camera and trigger do the rest 😜BTW Happy New Year

01-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sorver,
I have been very interested in your post, replies and images. I, too have a K3 and have already bought myself a Nero Trigger and tried a couple of times on storms down here in Geelong recently. I have not had a great deal of success and definitely a lot of misfires shooting during the day.
I was wondering what sorts of settings do you have your camera on, as at present it seems to start the the camera on the first flash and then quite often fire continuously but still no real lightning strikes, just a lot of blanks and wasted shots.
I am shooting with a 12-24 Pentax lens and using Manual Focus on infinity, single shot shooting, even tried Mirror Up setting. It fires on that but still no strikes. It was getting rather frustrating sitting in the car last night with lightning strikes all around me but also pouring rain

BTW, the Nero uses the C2(Canon) cable for the Pentax K3.

Maybe I need to wait til a storm after dark??

I would appreciate any advice or tips.

Phil T.
01-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Thomson IPA Quote
Hi Sorver,
I have been very interested in your post, replies and images. I, too have a K3 and have already bought myself a Nero Trigger and tried a couple of times on storms down here in Geelong recently. I have not had a great deal of success and definitely a lot of misfires shooting during the day.
I was wondering what sorts of settings do you have your camera on, as at present it seems to start the the camera on the first flash and then quite often fire continuously but still no real lightning strikes, just a lot of blanks and wasted shots.
I am shooting with a 12-24 Pentax lens and using Manual Focus on infinity, single shot shooting, even tried Mirror Up setting. It fires on that but still no strikes. It was getting rather frustrating sitting in the car last night with lightning strikes all around me but also pouring rain

BTW, the Nero uses the C2(Canon) cable for the Pentax K3.

Maybe I need to wait til a storm after dark??

I would appreciate any advice or tips.

Phil T.
Hi Phil keeping it on manual focus and infinity length works well unless you have something in the foreground you want to focus on as you would know. Keep your K-3 on awake mode so it doesn't turn off.
Now this might be where you could be having the problem set your camera to shutter or aperture or manual mode.
For night the recommended setting I was given was 0.3-1/8 f1.8-7.1 adjust as needed I find I can have it a little quicker depending on the ISO i sometimes jump inbetween 200 - 600 you can go up to 800 but means mucking around with some of your other settings and haven't found any advantage going higher than 600. I mostly sit around 400.
Day use 1/8 - 1/30 same f stop as above I find that I can quicken the shutter speed up a lot faster depending how dark the clouds have made it. Just a thought triggers don't work well near fluro or energy saving lightbulbs but if in the car don't imagine this would be an issue. When you visit my images at flicker you can click on the information button and it will usually give you my settings I have used at the time.
The idea of a trigger is so you can capture daylight shots so you don't let too much light in and can capture that daytime strike.
i use the k-3 with a samyang 14mm f2.8. I hope this helps I am sure there are folks here with much more knowledge than I have that could help but I will try my best. Hope this info helps you get your shot.
01-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Phil keeping it on manual focus and infinity length works well unless you have something in the foreground you want to focus on as you would know. Keep your K-3 on awake mode so it doesn't turn off.
Now this might be where you could be having the problem set your camera to shutter or aperture or manual mode.
For night the recommended setting I was given was 0.3-1/8 f1.8-7.1 adjust as needed I find I can have it a little quicker depending on the ISO i sometimes jump inbetween 200 - 600 you can go up to 800 but means mucking around with some of your other settings and haven't found any advantage going higher than 600. I mostly sit around 400.
Day use 1/8 - 1/30 same f stop as above I find that I can quicken the shutter speed up a lot faster depending how dark the clouds have made it. Just a thought triggers don't work well near fluro or energy saving lightbulbs but if in the car don't imagine this would be an issue. When you visit my images at flicker you can click on the information button and it will usually give you my settings I have used at the time.
The idea of a trigger is so you can capture daylight shots so you don't let too much light in and can capture that daytime strike.
i use the k-3 with a samyang 14mm f2.8. I hope this helps I am sure there are folks here with much more knowledge than I have that could help but I will try my best. Hope this info helps you get your shot.
Hi Sorver,
that has been a tremendous help with those recommended settings etc. Cant wait til another storm situation to try them out. As you said not to shoot near fluros and the ES light bulbs, and I would be doing that, as most times I will head out to Ceres or Barrabool (countryside)or shoot over Corio Bay(Geelong) and wont have those sorts of lighting nearby.
Also, what where you referring to re the Awake Mode, where do I find that??
Maybe my problem was not having on the Awake Mode and this was causing it to start on the initial strike.
I do have do use Manual Mode for shutter and fstop 99% of the time of my shooting, especially with landscapes, sunrises, storms & weather, etc., as that is the way I have always done it even since my film days.

BTW, I tried to look up your Flicker site and couldn't find it. I would appreciate you posting the link so that I can have a look at your work in general and the lightning images too.
if you are interested , you can view my work at both my "redbubble site":Phil Thomson IPA | Redbubble and my "facebook page":https://www.facebook.com/phil.thomson.334

Cheers,

Phil T.

Last edited by Phil Thomson IPA; 01-09-2015 at 07:53 PM.
01-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #26

Happy New Year to you as well Sorver.

It looked like we may of had a storm rolling in the other day so i hurriedly set the trigger up on my K-5ii using the supplied instructions.
I would assume the cable supplied would also suit the K-5ii as well as the K-3, i was pulsing a very bright led torch to try and trigger it, maybe this is the problem but in the supplied sheet it say's it won't operate near fluoro or energy saving lights, not sure if LED's fall into this category as well.

Any suggestions on possible settings i've missed or how to trigger it manually so i can at least test it works ok ? I made sure the camera was set not to go into hibernation as previously discussed.

cheers
Darren
01-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Sorver,
that has been a tremendous help with those recommended settings etc. Cant wait til another storm situation to try them out. As you said not to shoot near fluros and the ES light bulbs, and I would be doing that, as most times I will head out to Ceres or Barrabool (countryside)or shoot over Corio Bay(Geelong) and wont have those sorts of lighting nearby.
Maybe my problem was not having on the Awake Mode and this was causing it to start on the initial strike.
I do have do use Manual Mode for shutter and fstop 99% of the time of my shooting, especially with landscapes, sunrises, storms & weather, etc., as that is the way I have always done it even since my film days.

BTW, I tried to look up your Flicker site and couldn't find it. I would appreciate you posting the link so that I can have a look at your work in general and the lightning images too.
if you are interested , you can view my work at both my "redbubble site":Phil Thomson IPA | Redbubble and my "facebook page":https://www.facebook.com/phil.thomson.334

Cheers,

Phil T.
Hi Phil to stop your camera from going into sleep mode go to your spanner menu and number 3 the 2nd one down is auto power off, switch that to off. I have a couple of Flickr pages will post their links when I have a little more time but if you go back through this post there is a couple of links that will get you there. Thanks for yours will take a look when my visitors head home end of next week can't wait to check them out

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 05:43 AM ----------

Happy New Year to you as well Sorver.

It looked like we may of had a storm rolling in the other day so i hurriedly set the trigger up on my K-5ii using the supplied instructions.
I would assume the cable supplied would also suit the K-5ii as well as the K-3, i was pulsing a very bright led torch to try and trigger it, maybe this is the problem but in the supplied sheet it say's it won't operate near fluoro or energy saving lights, not sure if LED's fall into this category as well.

Any suggestions on possible settings i've missed or how to trigger it manually so i can at least test it works ok ? I made sure the camera was set not to go into hibernation as previously discussed.

cheers
Darren
Hi Darren I find that blocking the light from going in with hand in front of the sensor and removing it is usually enough to see if it is working. As this blocks the input then the sudden exposure to light is enough for it to set the trigger off. LEDs don't give the same pulse that you would get from a lightning strike so probably won't work. Hope that helps. Also not sure of your cameras set up but absolutely vital that you have your lens focus set to manual as well on the k-3 it is directly behind where you mount the lens as well as having your camera in the options suggested which it sounds like you have done.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 06:01 AM ----------

Hi Sorver,

Cheers,

Phil T.
Ok got the better of me had a quick peak oh my gosh how beautiful is your work must say feel slightly hesitant to share mine now your work is what I hope to be able to achieve one day. Feel totally chuffed I could help a photographer with your skill thank you for sharing.

Last edited by Sorver; 01-10-2015 at 05:48 AM.
01-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Sorver,

Cheers,

Phil T.
Hi Phil link to my photos as promised

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124684011@N05/
01-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #29

Cheers Sorver, yes i switched it into MF as per the instruction sheet, i will have another play tomorrow and see what i can work out, when i couldn't get it to work i changed the camera setting from single shot to remote continuous but from reading above in Jabiru's post he said something along the lines of no settings to change.

One thing i did notice i still had everything on and i unplugged the cable from the camera and it took a shot, does the same if you plug it back in, not sure if this behaviour is correct.
01-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Phil to stop your camera from going into sleep mode go to your spanner menu and number 3 the 2nd one down is auto power off, switch that to off. I have a couple of Flickr pages will post their links when I have a little more time but if you go back through this post there is a couple of links that will get you there. Thanks for yours will take a look when my visitors head home end of next week can't wait to check them out

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 05:43 AM ----------

Hi Darren I find that blocking the light from going in with hand in front of the sensor and removing it is usually enough to see if it is working. As this blocks the input then the sudden exposure to light is enough for it to set the trigger off. LEDs don't give the same pulse that you would get from a lightning strike so probably won't work. Hope that helps. Also not sure of your cameras set up but absolutely vital that you have your lens focus set to manual as well on the k-3 it is directly behind where you mount the lens as well as having your camera in the options suggested which it sounds like you have done.

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 06:01 AM ----------

Ok got the better of me had a quick peak oh my gosh how beautiful is your work must say feel slightly hesitant to share mine now your work is what I hope to be able to achieve one day. Feel totally chuffed I could help a photographer with your skill thank you for sharing.
Hi Veronica (Sorver),

please don't feel hesitant at helping by any means. It is by these sorts of things, sharing each other's knowledge, experiences & tricks that we all learn and progress in our photographic journey and skills.

Also, if I can be of any assistance with certain things, settings or advice please let me know, either through here or message me on fbook or my redbubble site. I did have a look through your images and there are some real beauties there plus you have been fortunate to go to some special places and capture those aurora shots.
Keep up the the great work and continue to feed your talent & passion in the days ahead.

BTW, if ever you venture down my way around Geelong in Victoria, please contact me and we can possible arrange a shoot together at some of my special locations nearby.

Cheers and thanks again,

Phil T.
Thanks too, for the earlier posts and it seems obvious when you think about it. Maybe just being a male (and 'not bothering to read the instructions' properly) I overlooked where to turn off the Auto Power off.