Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,461
camera bag for 80-200 f2.8

I have more camera bags than I really need. (Like most of you do, I'm sure.) But outside of my largest bag, none of them seem to accommodate my larger lenses, specifically my 80-200 f2.8. I don't want to go the backpack route. I'd rather have something that's deep enough to stand this lens on end and still be small enough to carry around. Any suggestions?


Last edited by TaoMaas; 11-17-2014 at 05:08 AM.
11-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Forum Member
darek's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: ___
Posts: 52
Think Tank Photo Retrospective 5.
11-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6
Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7
RetrospectiveŽ 7 (Pinestone)
11-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,991
looking for a similar bag myself, though I need space for the DA*300mm. Just about the same size though. Seems most of the bags big enough to fit what I want are too short. The retrospective line seems tall enough but I'm looking for a bit bigger bag to hold DA*300, DA*16-50 and k-3 plus 3 other smaller lenses.

11-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6
Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7: K-3 with lens, Tripod (Velbon UT 43D), AF-540 FGZ and 8 additional lenses:







If the bag is packed like this, it is only suitable as a transport/storage solution. It is too heavy for a shoulder bag.


Velbon UT 43D: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=details&...&fromDisList=y
11-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Nakedgun's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southwest
Posts: 919
Why not this?

Urban Disguise 70 Pro V2.0
11-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,654
I've stopped looking for the best messenger bag once I discovered the Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger. the "Small" model should be deep enough for the 80-200, it can accommodate snugly the 60-250 mounted on a camera.

It is the best I've seen from any brand.

11-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,803
AFAIC, a bag accommodates a lens if it fits when mounted on the body, with the hood in shooting position (i.e. not reversed).
11-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,991
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
AFAIC, a bag accommodates a lens if it fits when mounted on the body, with the hood in shooting position (i.e. not reversed).
I would just be happy to find a bag that fits the DA*300 not on camera, vertical, with hood reversed. That takes just over 9" of clearance and most regular bags are not that tall.

Messenger style bags are that tall but I was really looking for a regular style camera bag, not messenger. It needs to hold the k-3, DA 12-24, DA*16-50 and DA*300. Plus a few other lenses that are smaller. The problem is those three lenses are all 77mm with even larger hoods so they take a lot of space.
11-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,654
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was really looking for a regular style camera bag, not messenger
What's the difference? a "regular" bag is more square, a messenger more rectangle? I'm not sure I see the distinction.
11-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,803
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Messenger style bags are that tall but I was really looking for a regular style camera bag, not messenger.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "regular" style bag. Could you link or name one?
11-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,991
Well, things have changed a lot since the last time I bought a camera bag which would have been maybe 1979? My current Tamrac, bought then is fatter and sits firmly on the ground without tipping. It is two lenses wide instead of most of the 'messenger' style ones seem to be only 1 wide.

So I guess I was looking for something similar. It would not be a carry bag at all, just in the car or on location. Something like: Amazon.com : Lowepro Magnum 400 AW Shoulder Bag (Black) : Camera Cases : Electronics or Amazon.com : Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Camera Bag (Black) : Camera Accessory Bags : Electronics

I see the messenger bags as something you would actually have on your shoulder while you work and I have a sling bag for that.

I am interested in messenger or briefcase style bags though, and I am looking for a briefcase style bag for on airplanes and I posted a new thread specifically for that here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/279504...amera-bag.html I have realized that I am still using the same bags I had for my film and early digital gear and the gear has changed dramatically since then so I'm upgrading to bags that will work for what I actually do now.

I seem to have hijacked Taomaas's thread, for which I apologize. I thought since we were both looking for something similar we might both get more responses but this seems to have veered from his original question.
11-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,461
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I seem to have hijacked Taomaas's thread, for which I apologize. I thought since we were both looking for something similar we might both get more responses but this seems to have veered from his original question.
No need to apologize because it sounds to me like we're in similar situations. I have also been using bags from my pre-digital days. Back then, I shot almost exclusively prime lenses so I didn't need a bag as tall as I need these days. Now, I'm more zoom oriented and that has presented some problems. I thank those who suggested the Think Tank bags (in reality, I thank everyone who contributed). In looking at a few on B&H, it looks like they specify which bags will take an 80-200.

P.S. To jatrax: That Lowepro Magnum bag you linked to is very close to one I have. It's almost tall enough, but not quite. Plus, it's in an odd range. It's so big that, if I fill it with gear, it's too heavy to carry...and if I don't fill it, it's too big for a "walking around" bag. Great bag for transporting gear, though.
11-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,654
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My current Tamrac, bought then is fatter and sits firmly on the ground without tipping. It is two lenses wide instead of most of the 'messenger' style ones seem to be only 1 wide.
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
No need to apologize because it sounds to me like we're in similar situations. I have also been using bags from my pre-digital days. Back then, I shot almost exclusively prime lenses so I didn't need a bag as tall as I need these days. Now, I'm more zoom oriented and that has presented some problems. I thank those who suggested the Think Tank bags (in reality, I thank everyone who contributed). In looking at a few on B&H, it looks like they specify which bags will take an 80-200.
I still have on hand a few bags from the early film era (including a genuine Pentax ). I've used them, as well as small holster bags, backpacks, messenger (a few), slings, cases, etc.

I think there is no perfect bag. For studio work when I need a lot of stuff, I use a rolling case. when I want to travel light I carry a small sling bag. I have my backpack with a good insert for hiking and such. My main go-to bag is a messenger bag. I never use the "squarish" older models anymore.

A couple of reasons. first (and least important) it just screams camera bag, and might tempt thieves. Second, being think it's not convenient when I carry it, making it more cumbersome. A messenger style will wrap around you a little and won't get in the way. Third, the way buckles are attached, and the way the top cover moves, was actually poorly done on all such bags I've used. With a (good) messenger bag, the flap is flexible and will easily bend out of the way. With the Timbuk2 I use the flap even has velcro fixtures in the corners that can be "unfolded" to give even easier access. The same applies to the end pockets that were always awkward to use. There is little chance of being able to attach a tripod to an old-school bag, that counts for something for me too.

What am I trying to say? Simply that, even though old-school bags can get the job done, there is a reason the market moved away from them. Maybe if you try a messenger bag (again, a good one) you'll see if some of those points may be relevant to you.
11-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,803
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would just be happy to find a bag that fits the DA*300 not on camera, vertical, with hood reversed. That takes just over 9" of clearance and most regular bags are not that tall.

Messenger style bags are that tall but I was really looking for a regular style camera bag, not messenger. It needs to hold the k-3, DA 12-24, DA*16-50 and DA*300. Plus a few other lenses that are smaller. The problem is those three lenses are all 77mm with even larger hoods so they take a lot of space.
The Think Tank Retrospective 30 will accommodate that load quite well. I just tested it with the DA*300 and a couple of substitute lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bag, camera, camera bag, f2.8, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA* 80-200 f2.8 focus issue... ADVICE NEEDED for lens adjustment! mattieyp3 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 09-17-2014 08:30 AM
Looking for Pentax Lens Manuals for FA* 80-200 f2.8 and A* 645 600mm f5.6 seventhdr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-16-2012 03:41 PM
For Sale - Sold: M 50/f1.4, Takumar 135/f2.5, Super Tak 28/f3.5, Tokina 80-200/f2.8, M 80-200/f loudbay Sold Items 11 03-07-2008 04:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top