Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestions for laptop / camera bag?

I am looking for a good briefcase or messenger style bag that fits under airline seats. Has to hold a small laptop or tablet plus charger & cables and a k-3 plus DA*16-50 and DA*60-250. Space for camera charger, phone and charger, notebooks and so on as well.

Currently I travel with a an old briefcase style laptop bag and an old Tamrac camera bag. Looking to combine both and travel with only one bag. I use a roll aboard suitcase that goes in the overhead and tripod and additional lenses and gear will go in there. Looking for a 'mobile office' that holds my tablet or laptop and other office stuff as well as a limited amount of camera gear.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of online research and honestly am more confused than before.

11-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a Manfrotto Advance Travel Backpack http://www.manfrotto.com/product/24329.8615.17668.0.0/MB%2BMA-BP-TRV/_/Advanced_Travel_Backpack. It's not a briefcase or messenger style bag but it should fit under an airline seat and it has a laptop pocket. It's about $149 and will definitely handle a K-3 plus those lenses. Check it out. One nice feature is that it has a hidden tripod bag (on the right side) which will accept a travel tripod to about 16 inches. I'm quite high on this bag really.
11-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Tenba messenger bag (size Large) that works very well. It holds my 15" laptop, K-3 & DA*50-135 in neoprene sleeves, DA10-17 & Sigma 10-20 in zipper cases, plus the DA Limiteds in their zipper case. Plus a Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet and a bunch of cables. It fits under the airline seat and counts as a "personal item", allowing a full-sized carry-on LeMans bag for the 645N gear.
11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is my messenger bag

Amazon.com : National Geographic NG 2476 Earth Explorer Medium Messenger : Photographic Equipment Bag Accessories : Camera & Photo

11-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Think Tank Retrospective 7

A really well-designed bag that will carry that gear, but not much more, is the Think Tank Retrospective 7. I love this bag. You'll have to have a fairly small "laptop" to fit in there. I can get my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 in there no problem and previously just managed to squeeze in a Sony VAIO Duo 11. The VAIO Duo 11 (specs here) is about the biggest computer that could ever fit in the rear laptop pocket.
11-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #6

Lowepro backpack is great and have wide variety...
11-20-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have a Tenba messenger bag (size Large) that works very well. It holds my 15" laptop, K-3 & DA*50-135 in neoprene sleeves, DA10-17 & Sigma 10-20 in zipper cases, plus the DA Limiteds in their zipper case. Plus a Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet and a bunch of cables. It fits under the airline seat ....
+1 for the Tenba - different gear, different tablet but same pluses and comes with lots of colours - I was boring and went black but wished I had got the burnt orange. Inside camera baffles all unload to provide heaps of space for K3 + grip+ Nissin Potato masher flash plus 16-45 lens for assignment work. Lots of extra pockets and document sleeves. Very professional looking.

Engravable Messenger Bag - Personalize Your Bag; Tenba

Scores of reviews on Amazon and other sights as it has been around a long time virtually unmodified and all reviews are positive and where not so are for quite personal reasons. As a 6'4" person the shoulder strap is just right. For small framed people it may be bulky. Baffles and reinforcing materials and bag walls are all up to the job and everything fits in well. Get this one.

11-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
ive got the lowepro event messenger 250 when im travelling light, and its great. of course the k-50 is smaller than the k-3, but I can fit the camera in there, usually mounted with the 18-135. in the other compartment there is another zoom, either the 55-300 or the sigma 24-70 and also a couple of primes in the 3rd slot. rear slot fits my 10 inch tablet and front compartment usually has charger, spare battery, remote, CPL, ND and optech shoulder sling. external side pockets as well for holding bottles of water. its perfect when im travelling abroad, since it fits perfectly under the plane seat since I cant trust putting it in the overhead cabin with people shoving there bags in there, sometimes with severe force if its a full flight.

Event Messenger 250 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

the lowepro urban reporter is also very good by the way and very convenient when travelling since it has a trolley sleeve
11-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The Tenba is nice, it was my second choice. My first was the Timbuk2 snoop messenger (small, which is actually pretty large). It is hands down the best messenger bag I've ever seen, and I've tried a lot of them over time.

Normally they come very cheap around black Friday and just after Christmas.
12-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I got the Tenba Discovery: Mini Photo/Laptop Messenger (637-341) precisely for the kinds of reasons you state. HERE is my rather thorough review w/ lots of pics.
12-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 V2
12-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Retrospective 7, or it's slightly larger cousin the Retrospective 10. The laptop sleeve holds a Surface Pro 3, MacBook Air or similar sized laptop. There are also larger versions but I can't vouch for the under seat fit.

Photo comparison here:
Think Tank Retrospective camera bags compared - ProPhotoNut
(But despite the link, the 7 holds a K3 plus 2 lenses just fine, with room to spare.)