Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
This will be OT, but the price difference between US and Europe is enormous. Just too bad that Amazon is not shipping from US (except CDs, DVDs and such tiny things). Wouldn't there be a chance to get the Nest from the US distributor directly?
(btw. same absurd price situation concerning GP...)
The best thing to do is email and ask. B&H ships world wide. I don't know what the custom duties would be in the Czech Republic - but it sounds like a lot less than just purchasing locally. If one retailer does not ship internationally, it does not mean that another dealer will not.

11-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

I think Sirui and Feisol have remained independent, one-brand companies in the far east, while RRS, FLM, and now even Jobu have started making ultra-high end tripods themselves with no outsourcing. Painstakingly handcrafted, indeed!

This is what happens when you immerse yourself in the world of tripods for too long...
Does RRS make their own tripods? I thought they were putting their name on someone else's, but didn't know. I looked at their smaller, travel tripod when I was over there last week - it was hard to put it down and walk out without buying it. It's quite light and looks really sturdy for a smaller tripod. I thought it would be wonderful to have something lighter and smaller than the one I have, for this new lighter camera and small lenses. I think I'll have to pay more attention to what they say about their tripods now, I know they only make quality stuff that holds up well.

This thread, that I thought would be perfectly safe for me to read without thinking of buying anything is turning out to be anything but!
11-25-2014, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
This thread, that I thought would be perfectly safe for me to read without thinking of buying anything is turning out to be anything but!
No place is safe and you can't hide!
11-25-2014, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The truth is that there are secret agents from Adorama and B&H between us which have the mission to support our LBA

11-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Does RRS make their own tripods? I thought they were putting their name on someone else's, but didn't know.
Yes, RRS makes their own tripods. The buy the carbon tubes, but otherwise fabricate all the other parts of their own design, and naturally assemble it all in-house. FLM does the same in Germany, kind of serving the European market for those who find it to expensive to self-import an RRS tripod.
11-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, RRS makes their own tripods. The buy the carbon tubes, but otherwise fabricate all the other parts of their own design, and naturally assemble it all in-house. FLM does the same in Germany, kind of serving the European market for those who find it to expensive to self-import an RRS tripod.
I freely admit to this - this is an unabashed plug......

RRS - or Really Right Stuff is located in a small coastal town of San Luis Obispo, California - or more affectionately known as SLO town. It's half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco, straddling highway 101 and 1. On the northern edge of town is the sleepy campus of California Polytechnic State University or also known as CalPoly, home to 12,000 students (and only 12,000 - if they go 1 over the limit, the town throws a royal s**t fit and hauls the school into court). If you go, you are essentially in one of three majors - Agriculture, Architecture or Engineering (that you basically live, eat, sleep and breath 24/7). One small additional aspect of the school that is 10000% different from every other university (especially in the US). They teach backwards! Their motto is "Learn by Doing". Also, the professors there actually teach their own classes.

RRS makes good use of their proximity to CalPoly along with their Mechanical Engineering Department with their students and graduates.
11-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, RRS makes their own tripods. The buy the carbon tubes, but otherwise fabricate all the other parts of their own design, and naturally assemble it all in-house.
Hmmm, this is looking like I might just have to take a day off of work in January, assuming I have any money left over from the lens discounts going on at B&H.

12-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So... decision taken...

Today I've received Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.

Acratech GP + Nodal Rail + Extended Universal L Bracket on the way (ordered from US as the EU prices are simply crazy).

Come on, spring! Now I'd like to be outside and shoot (without risk of frostbites ).
12-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #54
Pentaxian

So... decision taken...

Today I've received Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.

Acratech GP + Nodal Rail + Extended Universal L Bracket on the way (ordered from US as the EU prices are simply crazy).

Come on, spring! Now I'd like to be outside and shoot (without risk of frostbites ).
Hooray! Buy some gloves and get out there and shoot...

12-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hooray! Buy some gloves and get out there and shoot...

I should have ordered good gloves, too

Anyway, today UPS brought me the Acratech GP parcel.

So far I only had few minutes to play with it, but - probably a stupid - question: is there any reason, why not to keep the GP head always in upside down (i.e. in the panorama/leveling position), I mean except the fact that in standard position it's more rigid?
12-12-2014, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I should have ordered good gloves, too

Anyway, today UPS brought me the Acratech GP parcel.

So far I only had few minutes to play with it, but - probably a stupid - question: is there any reason, why not to keep the GP head always in upside down (i.e. in the panorama/leveling position), I mean except the fact that in standard position it's more rigid?
I can not think of a good reason why not. I have had mine in the standard - right side up configuration, perhaps once or twice in the last 7 years or so. It just lives upside down on my tripod.