Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Differences between the AF540fgz version 1 and II?

I haven't had a lot of luck looking for good comparison data on the newer AF540fgz version 1 and II - does anyone know what they are? My list so far:

Weather Sealing
More Flash Power (unclear how much)
Better Battery Door (?)

If there are any good articles out there point me that way - I tried google but my Ninja like search skills failed me - I probably just had the wrong search terms but I can't think of a better way to phrase things so far.

11-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An important consideration for me is Version I has a built in light meter (therefore an 'A' mode), and supports analog TTL as well as digital pTTL. Version II only supports digital pTTL, has no light meter, but it's weather sealed, and as a plus for video shooters, it has a continuous LED.

Version II is also one of the most expensive flashguns I have ever seen.
11-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the II version and there is no provision for an external power pack as with the I version.

I will say that the II version is - so far - the best flash unit I own (and I do own 4 others).
11-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I haven't had a lot of luck looking for good comparison data on the newer AF540fgz version 1 and II - does anyone know what they are? My list so far:

Weather Sealing
Better Battery Door (?)

If there are any good articles out there point me that way - I tried google but my Ninja like search skills failed me - I probably just had the wrong search terms but I can't think of a better way to phrase things so far.
Also, the build quality of the mark II is considerably better. If you're planning on getting one, I'm sure that it will be on sale on black friday.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, the build quality of the mark II is considerably better. If you're planning on getting one, I'm sure that it will be on sale on black friday.
Adam - as lovely as that sounds, my father couldn't wait. He's 75, his birthday was this past Monday and he decided to buy ME a flash. I don't know why but that's what he did. So I have a series 1 coming - apparently new. I'll have it Monday when he arrives for Thanksgiving. Additionally somewhere in the house I have a Tumax that's pretty handy but I've misplaced it (don't laugh too hard). I was hoping to combine the two for some nice shots.

I had been looking at a 360 series I and a Sigma 610 Super prior to this news. Honestly the Sigma seems the equal if not superior to the 540 series.
11-20-2014, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote

Weather Sealing
Better Battery Door (?)

Not sure about more flash power.... but definitely WR and battery door improved plus...
-front LED (very significant IMHO, replacing catch-light and also provide continuous light for video)
-overall smaller size (less bulky)
-improved menu systems and controls

Note: I don't have the AF540fgz II but I have both AF360fgz II, AF360 (old) and AF540fgz old and checked out the AF549fgz II when I got the AF360fgz II (cost less).
11-20-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The mk1 has a connector for the TR3 external battery pack, the mk2 doesn't.

Regards,
--Anders.

11-20-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Difff

Here is a ready reckoner
- 540FGZ has a bounce card paired with the diffuser. 540FGZ II does not. Only has diffuser
- 540FGZ has TR3 power pack connector. 540FGZ II does not.
- 540FGZ does not have LED light. 540FGZ II does and acts as a catch light as well as continuous video light. I get white eyes sometimes though. (Like red eyes but white)
- 540FGZ is not weather sealed. 540FGZ II is weather Sealed.
- 540FGZ poor batter door compared to 540FGZ II.
- 540FGZ build quality feels lower than 540FGZ II.
- 540FGZ recycle time is slower (way slower). 540FGZ II recycles faster and gives more pops (about 10-12 more, used alkalines at that time). 540FGZ recycle times are matched with TR# power pack and can have more battery life. 540FGZ II it is not possible.
- 540FGZ has slide switches that although work tend to feel worn out after a while.
- 540FGZ has a plastic mount. The plastic is very resilient though. 540FGZ II has a metal mount.
- AF assist is some red beam (possibly red LED) on 540FGZ. AF assist on 540FGZ II is white LED. It also auto adjusts for the exposure in video. For ex. LED brightens when shooting pitch dark areas from the lighted areas.
- 540FGZ is cheaper ($50 bundled with a K-3 at the time of posting). 540FGZ II is obscenely expensive.
- 540FGZ has TTL mode. 540FGZ II does not and only supports P-TTL.
- 540FGZ battery polarity terminals are alternated. 540FGZII has polarities aligned per pair and are better marked. (Faster battery loading if you will)

I skipped the operation/menu differences.
11-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Here is a ready reckoner
- 540FGZ has a bounce card paired with the diffuser. 540FGZ II does not. Only has diffuser
- 540FGZ has TR3 power pack connector. 540FGZ II does not.
- 540FGZ does not have LED light. 540FGZ II does and acts as a catch light as well as continuous video light. I get white eyes sometimes though. (Like red eyes but white)
- 540FGZ is not weather sealed. 540FGZ II is weather Sealed.
- 540FGZ poor batter door compared to 540FGZ II.
- 540FGZ build quality feels lower than 540FGZ II.
- 540FGZ recycle time is slower (way slower). 540FGZ II recycles faster and gives more pops (about 10-12 more, used alkalines at that time). 540FGZ recycle times are matched with TR# power pack and can have more battery life. 540FGZ II it is not possible.
- 540FGZ has slide switches that although work tend to feel worn out after a while.
- 540FGZ has a plastic mount. The plastic is very resilient though. 540FGZ II has a metal mount.
- AF assist is some red beam (possibly red LED) on 540FGZ. AF assist on 540FGZ II is white LED. It also auto adjusts for the exposure in video. For ex. LED brightens when shooting pitch dark areas from the lighted areas.
- 540FGZ is cheaper ($50 bundled with a K-3 at the time of posting). 540FGZ II is obscenely expensive.
- 540FGZ has TTL mode. 540FGZ II does not and only supports P-TTL.
- 540FGZ battery polarity terminals are alternated. 540FGZII has polarities aligned per pair and are better marked. (Faster battery loading if you will)

I skipped the operation/menu differences.
Thank you!
11-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
An important consideration for me is Version I has a built in light meter (therefore an 'A' mode), and supports analog TTL as well as digital pTTL. Version II only supports digital pTTL, has no light meter, but it's weather sealed, and as a plus for video shooters, it has a continuous LED.

Version II is also one of the most expensive flashguns I have ever seen.

This comes really handy at weddings. Too bad Pentax decided to sun-down this feature. However the Metz-58 AF1 an the AF2 have it and are about 30% cheaper than the 540GZ II, but they are not weather sealed
11-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks this has helped a bunch.