Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AS plate for the DA*60-250/300 lens foot

I'm waiting for the sales for the lens, but would like to order a plate (arca swiss type) for the foot that is included with the DA* 60-250 and/or DA* 300 lens. From what I gather the are the same foot.
  • What is a good size?
  • Any vendor suggestions?
  • It is a one or two screw attachment, etc.?

Thanks!!!!

11-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm using Desmond DTB-60 with OP/TECH USA sling strap. It's 60mm (2.4") long. It has two strap loops. It works very well with my Oben AS QR ball head.
11-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The foot is different between the DA*300 and DA*60-250, the latter has a taller foot.
Consider this option from Fanotec that is an integrated plate and clamp for these lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html

He is no longer selling through the marketplace but you can contact user @fanotec via email to order the plate and clamp.

I like the LP100 plate for my DA*300. Since the 60-250 gets longer for zooming you may need a longish plate like the 100mm

If you just use the included foot it is one screw so try to buy a plate with a anti rotation stop.

There are some comparison pictures here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...ml#post2442990
11-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The foot is different between the DA*300 and DA*60-250, the latter has a taller foot.
Consider this option from Fanotec that is an integrated plate and clamp for these lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html

He is no longer selling through the marketplace but you can contact user @fanotec via email to order the plate and clamp.

I like the LP100 plate for my DA*300. Since the 60-250 gets longer for zooming you may need a longish plate like the 100mm

If you just use the included foot it is one screw so try to buy a plate with a anti rotation stop.

There are some comparison pictures here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...ml#post2442990
I was just going off of memory. I though that I had read that the two lens shared the same foot. I am planning on getting the 60-250. I was going to try to order the plate now, so that it may arrive in the same time frame as the lens. Do I remember correctly that the Fanotec foot has a ArcaSwiss plate built into it? Otherwise, I'll just search on line for a 100mm plate for the foot.

Thanks!!!

11-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was just going off of memory. I though that I had read that the two lens shared the same foot. I am planning on getting the 60-250. I was going to try to order the plate now, so that it may arrive in the same time frame as the lens. Do I remember correctly that the Fanotec foot has a ArcaSwiss plate built into it? Otherwise, I'll just search on line for a 100mm plate for the foot.

Thanks!!!
The fanotec is an integrated foot with arca Swiss plate. Check the links for pictures. Are they not working for you?
11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The fanotec is an integrated foot with arca Swiss plate. Check the links for pictures. Are they not working for you?
Hi Crew, Thanks for the links and pictures! I have been on the phone with my brother and sister since noon about our Mom's current housing situation. She's 90 and fortunately still in pretty good health. Nothing like a independent living housing center, trying to take an unfair advantage. I had not really a chance to take a look, until just now. Just after I made the initial post, I had just gotten a call from Mom and the links did not register with me - as I dashed out of the house, to take care of her affairs. Fortunately, I took this week off as vacation.

Actually Fanotec is over on the other side of Phoenix. I will probably just make a slight detour and drive over there sometime this week - as I drive over to Mom's.

Thanks!!!!
11-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Crew, Thanks for the links and pictures! I have been on the phone with my brother and sister since noon about our Mom's current housing situation. She's 90 and fortunately still in pretty good health. Nothing like a independent living housing center, trying to take an unfair advantage. I had not really a chance to take a look, until just now. Just after I made the initial post, I had just gotten a call from Mom and the links did not register with me - as I dashed out of the house, to take care of her affairs. Fortunately, I took this week off as vacation.

Actually Fanotec is over on the other side of Phoenix. I will probably just make a slight detour and drive over there sometime this week - as I drive over to Mom's.

Thanks!!!!
I hope things get sorted out with your mom, and she gets the care she deserves. Best wishes.

11-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm waiting for the sales for the lens, but would like to order a plate (arca swiss type) for the foot that is included with the DA* 60-250 and/or DA* 300 lens. From what I gather the are the same foot.
  • What is a good size?
  • Any vendor suggestions?
  • It is a one or two screw attachment, etc.?

Thanks!!!!
If you still need a plate I have found that the Desmond DPL60 fits perfectly for both the DA*300 and he 60-250.
11-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If you still need a plate I have found that the Desmond DPL60 fits perfectly for both the DA*300 and he 60-250.
Evening Mike,

No, I have not done anything as of yet - except buy a 1.4xTC. This looks nice - and you really can't beat the price. I think that I will just order it and be finished. I need to still order the 60-250, and then I will be done with everything - except selling the MF lenses that all of this is going to replace.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!
11-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening Mike,

No, I have not done anything as of yet - except buy a 1.4xTC. This looks nice - and you really can't beat the price. I think that I will just order it and be finished. I need to still order the 60-250, and then I will be done with everything - except selling the MF lenses that all of this is going to replace.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!
Your wallet will be thinner but I doubt that you will have any regrets. the 60-250 and 1.4 TC are both superb and even better together.
11-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your wallet will be thinner but I doubt that you will have any regrets. the 60-250 and 1.4 TC are both superb and even better together.
Yes, my wallet is a bit thinner - I wish my waist line was as well. As I was driving over to the post office this afternoon, it occurred to me that since the TC adds 1 f stop (which I really do not need for landscapes), but does not diminish the IQ, do you have any idea as to how the TC performs with the 31Ltd. The TC coupled with the 31Ltd would be ~43mm, and would fill in whatever gap (with quality IQ and AF) between 31 and 60.

Trying to simplify my lenses and life without giving up any quality. I just ordered the 60-250 along with the plate, so that is a done deal.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-28-2014 at 09:40 PM.
11-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, my wallet is a bit thinner - I wish my waist line was as well. As I was driving over to the post office this afternoon, it occurred to me that since the TC adds 1 f stop (which I really do not need for landscapes), but does not diminish the IQ, do you have any idea as to how the TC performs with the 31Ltd. The TC coupled with the 31Ltd would be ~43mm, and would fill in whatever gap (with quality IQ and AF) between 31 and 60.

Trying to simplify my lenses and life without giving up any quality. I just ordered the 60-250 along with the plate, so that is a done deal.

Thanks!!!!
I just got my 31 a couple of weeks ago but I will test it today to see. The TC works great with the DFA 100 but, I have heard that there can be problems with wider angles. Maybe 31 is on the boarder. I will get back to you.
11-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I just got my 31 a couple of weeks ago but I will test it today to see. The TC works great with the DFA 100 but, I have heard that there can be problems with wider angles. Maybe 31 is on the boarder. I will get back to you.
Mikesul/interested_observer,
We're going to be visiting family in a couple of weeks in Scottsdale for 5 days. Any suggestions for National or State Parks for photography day hikes within 100-150 mile radius? Thanks!
11-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
We're going to be visiting family in a couple of weeks in Scottsdale for 5 days. Any suggestions for National or State Parks for photography day hikes within 100-150 mile radius? Thanks!
Boy, you can hardly go out the door here without good possibilities. A car trip up the Apache Trail has been a favorite Arizona scenery trip for almost 100 years. It is a mainly gravel road leading from Apache Junction (Superstition Mountains) to Roosevelt Dam. Lots of hiking trails along the way. There are lakes, mountains, Sonora Desert habitat, canyons, wildlife etc in abundance. You can come back on paved road through the old mining towns of Superior, Globe and Miami. A long but memorable day trip. Too many individual spots to innumerate here. Another great drive is south through the Tohono O'Odham reservation. Vast vistas of pristine Sonora Desert leading ultimately to the observatories on Kitt Peak and then Tucson. A very long day trip. It also has the appearance in parts like a war zone with all of the Border Patrol vehicles and checkpoints but it is still a beautiful trip, desert to alpine. Tucson has Mt. Lemon on its north side. Lots of trails. In Phoenix, South Mountain, the White Tanks and McDowell Mountains offer excellent hiking trails, vistas and are not too far to drive. Much, much more but this should get you started.
11-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Mike has given you a very good overview. Here are some different suggestions. Trying to avoid overlap.
  • Montezuma Castle National Monument - Its about 90 miles north of Phoenix right off the I17 on the way to Flagstaff. Indian ruins - cliff houses. Also, about 10 miles farther north is Montezuma Well. Another set of smaller cliff dwellings (well rock walls, creating small living areas). Its all freeway driving, but the drive shows you a lot of Arizona's landscape. You can also continue north a bit and take 89A off to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Drive up through Oak Creek Canyon coming back out to I17 just a bit south of Flagstaff (which is 2 hours north of Phoenix - all freeway driving). This would take all day, but with stops and everything - it would be pretty enjoyable.
  • Jerome, AZ - An old gold mining town. About an hour ~60 miles north of Phoenix off the I17 (maybe 20 minutes). You can spend an afternoon in various parts of the town.
  • Goldfield - It's a gold mining town for tourists (its free and interesting), that is on the outskirts of Apache Junction, nearly right across the road from the Lost Dutchman State Park. Its probably 30 minute freeway drive and the another 20 minute 2 lane road drive. Its on the start of highway 88 - the Apache Trail (the paved part).
  • Camelback Mountain - which it the mountain in the center of town. 20 minutes from Scottsdale - 10 minutes north of the Sky Harbor Airport (its the mountain shaped like a Camel that you see as you fly into town). If you are going to hike it - its very strenuous - take water even in winter. Folks are airlifted off the mountain on a weekly basis.
  • Papgo Park - again in the middle of town. The park also features the Desert Botanical Garden, a large zoo (the Phoenix Zoo), picnic areas, several small lakes, hiking trails, bicycle paths, a fire museum, etc. A 10 minute drive from Scottsdale. The zoo has their Zoo Lights at night.
  • Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesin - one of his homes, now his school of architecture. Its in Scottsdale.