Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey there, I have a Nest NT6294C, and have been using it as my "hiking and travel tripod" for about 4 months now.
Wow, panoguy, what a great response! Thanks! It is exactly what I was looking for. It is curious that these tripods are not more popular, though. Perhaps they really are too new. And indeed, I'm rethinking this whole thing now, and started looking at 3LT, RRS, Induro and Gitzo. It happens that I can afford these (or at least, the smaller ones, to about $400), but I still don't want to pay more for a tripod just because I paid more for a tripod. The Gitzo Mountaineers look ok, but a little short (shorter than the Manfrotto 190xProB that I already have). The RRS ones are really expensive, with not a whole lot of obvious improvements in specifications. Of course, the unobvious ones might be worth it, I suppose. 3LTs are a possibility, too. I have a Sirui K30x head, and, while a little heavy (1.07 lb), the quality isn't too bad. So, I support a Sirui tripod might be ok, too. But I don't think they are in the same class as the Gitzo, RRS and 3LT. I have heard so much about Gitzo, though, and B&H now has $150 rebates on the 1542T, making it more attractive, and barely in-budget. I *probably* couldn't go wrong by getting one, right? You wouldn't recommend the Nest over the 1542T, would you? How about a 3LT Brian over the 1542T? But 5 Sections?!! And what about the CT114 Induro? Would you get that over a Nest?

Decisions, decisions.

11-26-2014, 08:31 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
I have heard so much about Gitzo, though, and B&H now has $150 rebates on the 1542T, making it more attractive, and barely in-budget. I *probably* couldn't go wrong by getting one, right? You wouldn't recommend the Nest over the 1542T, would you? How about a 3LT Brian over the 1542T? But 5 Sections?!! And what about the CT114 Induro? Would you get that over a Nest?
Well, once you're looking at a bunch of good tripods, it really is up to you.

Thing is, I'm not the best person to give purchasing advice when it comes to well-respected brands: I can afford a BMW, but I drive a Hyundai because it does 95% of what the other does for less than half the price. (Modern Hyundais don't suck, really!) I'm sure there are intangibles that I'm missing by not tooling around in an X5, but if I don't notice it every day, then who am I to care, right?

In that sense, Gitzo is the BMW of the tripod world: very well made, engineered to the limit (particularly the latest models), but without the expensive upkeep of a Bimmer.

Thing is, most photographers won't need or use all the intangibles (and tangibles) that a Gitzo has to offer. I've extensively tested the GT1544T (the more compact version of the 1542T) and it is a wonderful tripod that basically punches above its weight and size.

Speaking of size, Gitzo does something that a lot of other companies imitate. They separate their products by size and how much they can carry with the shorthand of a "Series" with a number. Series 1 is usually the smallest (GT1542), with 24mm diameter top tubes (and a suitably lower weight rating), while Series 2 (GT2542) has 28mm tubes, and Series 3 has 34mm, etc. For Induro, roughly the same specs follow CT114, CT214, CT314, etc. See what they did there? 3LT has the Brian (25mm tubes) then the Eddie (29mm tubes) and other totally non-descriptive names, while Nest puts the tube size in the name (NT-6294C is "Nest Tripod 6, 29mm tube, 4 sections, Carbon fiber") So the Nest tripod we've been talking about is a "Series 2" in terms of size and weight and load, but they also make a 6245C which is smaller all around.

Would I buy one over another? Yes, because I know what I need for this type of tripod among the ones that I already have (Series 2 size and weight capacity, but relatively compact and tall). That was easy for me, because my old Feisol fit the bill for a decade, and I just needed a new one! Rather than buy another Feisol, I took a chance on the relatively unknown Nest brand, just like I did in 2004 with the relatively unknown Feisol brand, or before that with the relatively unknown Markins brand (hint, Feisol and Markins are not "unknown" anymore!). Hey, I shoot with Pentax, so I'm not a follow-the-leader type of consumer by definition!

One more thing, the Induro tripods do not fold up as small as the Gitzo Travelers, 3LT's, Feisols, or Nest because their legs do not fold up 180° around the center column. Also, the difference between a Gitzo Mountaineer and a Traveler (which may even have the same number, like 1542) is that the Mountaineer cannot flip its legs around for compact packing. Speaking of which, Giottos makes YTL "Silk Road" tripods which have a non-round center column designed for even more compact packing! Finally, I'd go with 4 sections or fewer, since I prefer stability over packed size.

Last edited by panoguy; 11-26-2014 at 08:52 PM.
11-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, the tripod itself has only two leg angles
Well, that is not so good...

Steve
12-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that is not so good...
Meh, Gitzo Travelers have only two leg angles, and people seem to do fine with them. Same goes for MeFoto tripods...

12-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Meh, Gitzo Travelers have only two leg angles, and people seem to do fine with them. Same goes for MeFoto tripods...
I guess it depends on how you use the tripod. I frequently use the intermediate angle in tight spaces where the ground is uneven (mostly at stream margins adjacent to waterfalls). For most people, that might not be a common use case.

Steve
12-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess it depends on how you use the tripod. I frequently use the intermediate angle in tight spaces where the ground is uneven. Steve
You can get the equivalent of intermediate angles by extending some of the legs more than others. I shoot in the middle of a cactus garden, and I can state rather pointedly that I shoot in tight spaces. On a related note, I have decided that I didn't want yet another so-so tripod, so I just purchased a Gitzo 1542T and an Acratech Ultimate. It arrives on Friday, so I can report what I discover about them, but I think most of what can be said about them has already been said, both here and on other forums.
12-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can get the equivalent of intermediate angles by extending some of the legs more than others.
Congrats on your purchase. I am looking forward to reading a report on your impressions.

I guess I would have to take a photo to show how I use the intermediate angle. Is it enough to say that I brace the third leg against the sides of boulders and that 70+ degrees is too wide and 20 degrees is too steep? The third leg is generally set to a rather small extension.

Steve

12-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I shoot in the middle of a cactus garden, and I can state rather pointedly...
Hey, let's not get prickly about it!
("Originally posted by asharpe," no less!)

Enjoy the Gitzo and the Acratech. A great combination that should serve you well for many years!
12-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Too good to be true? Maybe, but I think a lot of this stuff is overpriced. I have a Promaster carbon fiber tripod I bought at a local shop that cost me $149. It's tall enough for me (6'1") and weighs only a couple of pounds so it's easy to travel with and carry. It's sturdy enough and also has a hook so you can hang a sand bag to stabilize it even more. I can use it at almost angle or height and it doesn't need level ground. I have used it on ski slopes. It didn't come with a head so that is extra but I already had a couple of ball heads. My set up might not work for everybody but it has performed well for me for 3 years now and has been used in the mountains, on the seashore in sand and in winter in knee deep snow.
12-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #25

Original Poster
Hey, let's not get prickly about it!
("Originally posted by asharpe," no less!) Enjoy the Gitzo and the Acratech. A great combination that should serve you well for many years!
Yeah, my name and my photographs are usually a thorny subject. And I'm old enough that this setup should be the last one I buy. Famous last words from a person that likes to try different gear, but this should be a good pairing.
12-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to consider about stability, is that weight is many times your friend. Having said that, almost any tripod can have the stability significantly improved by hanging something below the center column . I usually hang the remainder of my gear, in the bag or back pack it is contained in, below the tripod.

Don't overdo it but hanging weight below the tripod even if it is a pouch full of rocks is great
12-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both of my current tripods, a Benro and a Sirui, came in black boxes with gold lettering that look similar.
I see a similar box in the linked to review above for the Nest tripod.
Do all these manufacturers get their boxes from the same supplier/designer or are they all really just one big manufacturer making all the tripods coming out of China?
12-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Do all these manufacturers get their boxes from the same supplier/designer or are they all really just one big manufacturer making all the tripods coming out of China?
Shhhh.... Gitzos come in black boxes with silver lettering. Don't let on!
12-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I wouldn't mind if all tripod boxes came from China, the quality of their packaging materials has always been excellent.