Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Shoulder strap for my K-50?

I'm currently using my K-50 with the original strap it came with. Hanging it around my neck hurts and I have tried to hang it how it should be (around the shoulders diagonally) but I find the strap to be way too short and I can't barely move the camera.

So I realize I need a new strap and I was looking at:

JOBY Pro Sling Strap
and
BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme Strap

and I like the concept of both straps very much. However, I realize that they attach to the camera at the button with the screw used for tripods and immediately my worry was "what if it unscrews and the camera drops?". I read the reviews for both and the vast majority were praises but I did find 1 or 2 whose camera dropped to the floor due to my worry...

Is this a valid worry?

Thanks.

11-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
"what if it unscrews and the camera drops?"
I guess that is possible..... But surely you would notice if it was loose long before it actually came off? Not, IMHO, any more risk than any other strap coming loose.

I prefer the Op/tech sling strap. I have it attached to the tripod plate so I can still use the tripod. The connectors unsnap and snap together without the strap leaving a short loop just big enough for one hand. Since I work off a tripod about half the time this makes it easy. I do not like having the strap on when on the tripod, too easy to snag it and pull everything over. It can create vibrations in the wind as well.

You have to buy the sling strap adapter: OP/TECH USA Sling Strap Adaptor System Connector and then the actual strap of your choice. The nice thing is you can have multiple straps in different colors to color coordinate Just un-clip and put a new one on.

11-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

I've used my Blackrapid with my K-5 IIs and, earlier, K200D for several years for all sorts of photo ops, and it never even gave me a hint of coming unscrewed. The rubber pad between the head of the screw and the bottom of the camera acts as a lock-washer, and it takes quite a bit of torque to unscrew the mounting deliberately.
11-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have the Joby. I have yet to see it so much as loosen. There is a security tether available for the strap. I put it on out of habit, not need.

11-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Banned

I use the BlackRapid Yeti, it can be used as a double or single sling, as well as their wrist strap. Never had anything come loose. That said, they do sell a tether kit, I use it for added piece of mind. I've modified the attachment a bit using caribiners as quick releases.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 04-18-2015 at 05:59 AM.
11-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always used OpTech straps, and absolutely love them. I love the 3/8" Pro Strap. It distributes the weight very well, and is very comfortable on the neck.
11-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious, wouldn't the caribiners rub the finish off the camera in time?

11-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Another vote for Optech straps. You can buy just the parts you need to build the strap you want.
11-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just curious, wouldn't the caribiners rub the finish off the camera in time?

Never gave it any thought. Personally, I'm not really concerned if they do. They're quite smooth and lightweight and there's really no pressure on them so I'd guess they wouldn't do any damage for quite some time. The old "hippie looking" straps of days gone by had metal clips and I never incurred any damage from them in all the years I used them.
11-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I was just curious as I'm over "picky" on keeping my equipment looking new, even when it's not!
11-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks, I was just curious as I'm over "picky" on keeping my equipment looking new, even when it's not!

They weigh next to nothing (Aluminum), and basically just hang there, there's no weight on them at all. Suppose you could always wrap or glue some soft fabric on them if you wanted to, as added insurance!
11-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

Here is my variation. As noted above, Optech makes many things possible. I use their clips with my film bodies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know there's no weight to them, I have several; but would be concerned that they could scratch the finish on the camera/lens.
11-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #14

I will cast a vote for the OpTech system too. I like that I can keep a simple hand strap connected for when I just want to pull it out for a quick picture or two. In 10 seconds I can have that disconnected and clipped on to the sling which I can wear all day without any discomfort.
11-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I prefer the Op/tech sling strap. I have it attached to the tripod plate so I can still use the tripod. The connectors unsnap and snap together without the strap leaving a short loop just big enough for one hand.
Same here. But I modified it a little bit to make it also a handstrap (Sorry for iPad-quality photos).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad 2  Photo