Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I consider the Pentax Flash System to be...
Amazing! I use it's advanced features and it hasn't let me down yet! 515.63%
It's ok for basic stuff, as long as you use the flashes manualy.. 1134.38%
Not good enough. For flash photography I'd go for another brand 721.88%
No idea. I only use the built in flash and/or don't use flash. 928.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i dont have any issues with the flash system. If i am shooting people/events, I keep the camera in M mode and expose for the background with the green button, then put flash in Manual mode and choose an appropriate setting to add some light but not overwhelm the scene. I get good results but I do not want my camera making decisions for me.

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-22-2014 at 10:23 AM.
12-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Yes, there are numerous ways to configure a Cactus flash setup. The most obvious and popular method is to put a V6 on your hotshoe, and use that to control one or more off-camera RF60s or off-camera V6s with a TTL speedlight attached. If you have a bunch of old TTL flashes already, it may make more sense just to buy the V6 units, but if you are not already invested in speedlights, the RF60s have all the functionality of the V6s units built in. (Be careful, some newer speedlights only support the digital pTTL protocol, but not the old analog TTL protocol. Compatibility seems to be hit and miss with these newer speedlights) Another method that will work is to have the RF60 on your hotshoe in master mode, and set the V6 with a speedlight attached in receiver mode.

Manual speedlights can be fired by a V6 transceiver, but you will only get basic sync functionality, not remote power control, so in that case using a less expensive Cactus V5 unit as the receiver is an option. The V5s integrate with the V6s and the RF60s.
Thank you @maxfield_photo for clearing things up for me. Happily, I'm starting from scratch and not having to deal with old stuff.

@all, I've been compiling my B&H Wish List, https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=getpage.jsp&A=wishlist...&li=71975F65CB, for starting my flash efforts.

Can you make further recommendations? In particular what tripod, umbrella, umbrella holder, and miscellaneous kit.

Any other nice to have articles you can recommend?

I'm heading back to Asia for 5 months and when back will start my one-light forays. I want to get better with what I have now before the jump.
12-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
I'm considering getting a K-3 soon, and I was planning on using it for advanced off-camera flash portrait photography. I'm basically wondering if Pentax can do the following:

- Can it trigger multiple flashes using Wireless HSS P-TTL (and if so, how to do it)
- Are there any radio triggers for Pentax that support HSS and/or P-TTL
- What on camera control does one have of wireless/radio off-camera flash units; exposure,ratio, etc...?

Also, is there any LR tethering software for the K-3/K-5 out there?

Any 1st hand experience is welcome.
I'd say go with Nikon or Canon if you want to do in house portraiture with LR tethering. You'll have more options and a larger professional base from which to feed from (in terms of knowledge and tutorials geared to your.. gear).

Pentax doesn't really seem to care about that side of photography.. their niche is rugged, outdoorsy walk around type stuff. Sure, the Pentax system would work in a portrait environment, but I'm not so sure Pentax is the BEST option for your photography goals.
12-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sure, the Pentax system would work in a portrait environment, but I'm not so sure Pentax is the BEST option for your photography goals.
In a studio it doesn't matter what brand camera you use.

Everything's on Manual and third-party controllers like the Pocket Wizards set off various brand strobes and speed lights anyway.

But tethering to LR instead of a web browser would be an issue.

Last edited by clackers; 12-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.
12-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In a studio it doesn't matter what brand camera you use.

Everything's on Manual and third-party controllers like the Pocket Wizards set off various brand strobes and speed lights anyway.

But tethering to LR instead of a web browser would be an issue.
Hence my suggestion.

Besides, as I aforementioned, a majority of the information out there is centered around Canon and Nikon anyways even if it could be adapted it is just another extra step. Theres also a HUGE aftermarket and second hand market for both. Go with Nikon or Canon.
12-23-2014, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Besides, as I aforementioned, a majority of the information out there is centered around Canon and Nikon anyways even if it could be adapted it is just another extra step. Theres also a HUGE aftermarket and second hand market for both. Go with Nikon or Canon.
What you just said applies to all of us, yet we bought Pentax, Mee.
12-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used in the past Pentax AF-280T TTL flash system with both LX and ZX-L 35mm SLR cameras professionally in the past and I can say that it was good for what I did. Lately, I'm using it with a K10D and FA, F and A lenses informally. I confront the limitation of no P-TTL, but at least I can afford to experiment (AKA: made mistakes) with minimal penalty and made notes on how to circumvent that limitation. If my new normal economy improves, I'll try my hand at a Pentax AF-540 FGZ unit.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
KODAK CX7430 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA  Photo