Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Professional level tripods and Ballheads

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been searching over the holiday to see if there are any deals on a good CF tripod and professional ball head. RRS, Feisol, Gitzo, Acractech etc.

Haven't seen any, am I missing something or do these never get discounted?

12-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While I'm sure there are some deals, generally speaking the word "professional" and "rebate" won't usually apply to the same product I haven't seen any myself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
generally speaking the word "professional" and "rebate" won't usually apply to the same product
I love it! So true, so true, though I might point out that Gitzo is offering a seasonal rebate on some of their products.

Steve
12-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some independents had sales over the weekend but not what you are looking for.

ProMediaGear has a cyber monday coupon:
15% off COUPON for our local fans and customers, only few hours left !!!
Enter code ProMediaGear15 at checkout. Expires today at Midnight (central time).

RRS gave away a pouch with purchase:
QuoteQuote:
The guys at Really Right Stuff will give away a small RRS pouch with every order placed on Friday that totals more than $55. All you have to do is place the order on the phone or online with them and the LB-40 pouch will be yours for FREE.
Otherwise I have found good deals on decent stuff at odd times by trolling Amazon or eBay - I got these nice Sirui CF legs for $350 new from an eBay seller , usually they sell for over $450
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/265884...03-tripod.html

They dont have these any longer but have other stuff including induro, benro, velbon but their stock changes all the time.
Seller Asavings asavings on eBay

12-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Vanguard makes some good tripods that won't set you back a months pay. So does Promaster. Yeah, the stuff is made in China but I suspect that a lot of the stuff selling for twice the price comes from the same places.
12-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I have been searching over the holiday to see if there are any deals on a good CF tripod and professional ball head. RRS, Feisol, Gitzo, Acractech etc.
You might've just missed the Gitzo ones, since they do rebates in August and November that can sometimes be up to 25% of the MSRP on their tripods. The rest of those brands make so few of their heads and tripods (relative to Gitzo/ Manfrotto and the big Chinese companies that make millions (!) of tripods) that their margins, or perceived market value, won't allow 25% off sales or rebates.
12-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For Father's Day my wife got me a Vanguard Ala Pro 283CT tripod with a Vanguard SBH-100 ball head. I did get a SBH-250 head for use with my heavy lenses. I am very happy with it. Definitely a gigantic step up from my Slik U212.

Right now it is $329 at B&H with a free Reno 450R backpack that is valued at $99.99

12-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the best tripod is the one you bring with you. While I own several "professional" tripods (mostly Gitzo) the tripod that is always with my is a Benro "flat" tripod (Benro Travel Flat II Tripods) which fits in the laptop slot of my backpack! For travel I generally bring an Acratech ballhead. Around home and studio I use a Manfrotto precision geared head (405 Geared Head 405 - Geared Heads | Manfrotto) -- nothing better!

Michael
12-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a review of the Manfrotto 405 on here several years ago - I still use it more often than I use my RRS BH50 ball head.

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG on the Manfrotto 405MG geared tripod head.
12-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have an old tripod that was considered professional in it's day and I would say...still is. I've had it since about 1983. It's a Leitz Tiltall and I originally got it, to use with heavy medium format cameras such as Pentax 6 X 7 and Mamiya's.

Very solid, very well built, but heavy.

What I'm saying, is keep an eye open for oldies...but goldies out there.

Another option.
12-08-2014, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #11

Markins ballheads are probably the professional ones with the best price
12-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
Markins ballheads are probably the professional ones with the best price
Because they are ARCA knock offs...
12-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Professional level tripods and Ballheads
"Pro kit" being used by pros would make the items tax deductible anyway, there's the rebate.
12-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Check out PhotoClam ballheads. They are reasonably priced and are very well made.
12-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Check out PhotoClam ballheads. They are reasonably priced and are very well made.
Markins knock off?