Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What case for Sigma 150-500 do you use?

I like Lowepro cases but their casefinder is notorious for being.....optimistic about sizes. The 150-500 is listed at 9.5in without reversed hood and several places say 10+in with reversed hood. So, what case for Sigma 150-500 do you use?

12-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For mine I use the one it came with since it has good cushioning, is perfect for storing the hood with it, and positions the lens well. I have a method for attaching it to my Lowepro backpack that works great too.
12-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
For mine I use the one it came with since it has good cushioning, is perfect for storing the hood with it, and positions the lens well. I have a method for attaching it to my Lowepro backpack that works great too.
Thanks. My other sigma cases aren't compatible with my Lowepro gear, so I was thinking ahead to how to carry it in the field. How do you attach yours to your Lowepro gear?
12-02-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. My other sigma cases aren't compatible with my Lowepro gear, so I was thinking ahead to how to carry it in the field. How do you attach yours to your Lowepro gear?
Here is how I have mine ran, and then I will use a safety pin on the top loop to keep it secured. It is actually comfortable that way.

12-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Muchas Gracias.
12-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No problem! It allows me to take my 150-500 on hikes without it being a PITA. Besides, what good is it if you can't carry it?
12-02-2014, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Just for reference, the length of the Sigma 150 to 500 with caps is 10.7 inches, And the lens hood is 4.6 inches In diameter. Add 1.25 inches. for the tripod mounting shoe.

As others have said, I normally use the factory case that comes with the lens. However the strap that comes with the lens case is way too short and very uncomfortable to use. I recommend replacing it with a better shoulder strap.

12-03-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Just for reference, the length of the Sigma 150 to 500 with caps is 10.7 inches, And the lens hood is 4.6 inches In diameter. Add 1.25 inches. for the tripod mounting shoe.

As others have said, I normally use the factory case that comes with the lens. However the strap that comes with the lens case is way too short and very uncomfortable to use. I recommend replacing it with a better shoulder strap.
Thanks for the numbers and advice. I've got a few great straps on hand so swapping out won't be a problem at all.
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I just bought a 150-500 and the case that came with it looks pretty good. It's well padded and looks like it will protect the lens quite well. Carrying it is something I haven't worked out yet. Much of the shooting I will do with it won't be far from the car so that won't be much of an issue. For those times requiring a hike, I will likely just put the lens with the case in a backpack. Just a note, I won't be using one of the "photo" backpacks just because they don't work well for a day of lugging gear and they are too small. I need a pack that sits on my hips along with room for some rain gear, food, water, tripod, etc.

I have Lowepro backpack but I only use it for storage on trips or carrying for a short period of time. It's brutal on my back.
12-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I just bought a 150-500 and the case that came with it looks pretty good. It's well padded and looks like it will protect the lens quite well. Carrying it is something I haven't worked out yet. Much of the shooting I will do with it won't be far from the car so that won't be much of an issue. For those times requiring a hike, I will likely just put the lens with the case in a backpack. Just a note, I won't be using one of the "photo" backpacks just because they don't work well for a day of lugging gear and they are too small. I need a pack that sits on my hips along with room for some rain gear, food, water, tripod, etc.

I have Lowepro backpack but I only use it for storage on trips or carrying for a short period of time. It's brutal on my back.
If you do find a lens case you like please let me know. Enjoy your new lesn, I'm waiting its delivery today.......
12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's all this talk of putting the 150-500 in a case? It so rarely leaves my camera that I've only used the case a few times. I did put a lenscoat on it though
12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What's all this talk of putting the 150-500 in a case? It so rarely leaves my camera that I've only used the case a few times.
Touche'
12-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 150-500 arrived. Very nice kit. The case is precisely like the other Sigma cases, other than being huge in relation to them, and so not likely to be a field case for me.
12-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

For me, it goes inside the Lowerpro backpack.
12-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I use an old, big soft sided bag that I used to use with my medium format stuff. Heavy duty strap and I use a number of soft, squeezable oblong foam sponges that I pack alongside and under...don't forget under my Bigma and camera body. Boy is it solid...and light, but effective protection. It's like a custom made foam case and the equipment doesn't move...at all.

I get a package of about 8-10 foam sponges at my local Canadian Tire...for $ 2.49 a pack. Probably get something similar from WalMart.

Works well...better than any case I've used...ever.