Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #1

Trying a new strap

Just purchased a Joby Ultrafit sling strap for my new K50. Never tried this tye of set up before, so I was a little hesitant. It just loos like a good idea to me. I liked the adjustability and the lock mechanism. it also loos lie a quality product, and I only paid $24.00 for it.

I read several reviews on strap here and elsewhere, I learned a bunch.

12-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a nice design. On all these tripod socket mount designs it is important to always check that the screw is in tight before and periodically during a shooting session.
12-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

+1. I used to use a Black Rapid strap and found myself obsessing over the single point of connection and making sure it was tight. I got over that but it was a bit unnerving at first.
12-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
Just purchased a Joby Ultrafit sling strap for my new K50. Never tried this tye of set up before, so I was a little hesitant. It just loos like a good idea to me. I liked the adjustability and the lock mechanism. it also loos lie a quality product, and I only paid $24.00 for it.

I read several reviews on strap here and elsewhere, I learned a bunch.
I bought one of these, for my brother for Christmas. I know he's going to love it

12-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have contemplated. Looks like a good Santa gift for me.
12-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
I may fashion my own secondary redundant connection just to be on the safe side.
12-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
+1. I used to use a Black Rapid strap and found myself obsessing over the single point of connection and making sure it was tight. I got over that but it was a bit unnerving at first.
The Black Rapid strap is probably just as reliable as a neck strap. The neck strap has 2 points of connection but still has a single point of failure. If either end breaks loose the camera falls.

12-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The Black Rapid strap is probably just as reliable as a neck strap. The neck strap has 2 points of connection but still has a single point of failure. If either end breaks loose the camera falls.
The difference being that the standard neck strap has connections that won't come undone by simply unscrewing over time. A physical failure due to breakage is possible with any system. I was more concerned about something less catastrophic, like repeated moving of the camera causing the screw to loosen. I know it was a bit irrational but we all have our little phobias.
12-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
The difference being that the standard neck strap has connections that won't come undone by simply unscrewing over time. A physical failure due to breakage is possible with any system. I was more concerned about something less catastrophic, like repeated moving of the camera causing the screw to loosen. I know it was a bit irrational but we all have our little phobias.
I too would have that phobia! I feel more secure having two connection points that can only come loose from breakage. I always check my strap where it connects to the sides of the camera for wear.
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC Joby has a backup plan with a lanyard to a strap lug, right?

I have a Lens Loop sling and have never had problems with the tripod lug coming out. It has a rubber gasket which allows for a nice tight fitting. The sling straps are, IMHO, a comfortable and secure solution for bringing that camera everywhere.
12-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That design is my favorite, though I've just been using a generic $10 el cheapo I bought off of eBay back in February. I was a little nervous about the single-point of failure, after I watched a guy's D800 take a 3 ft drop to the pavement in a parking lot this past summer, but mine has always felt good, and no sign of cracks in the bolt mount. That design is a lifesaver for shooters that also have to be ready to move fast when their toddlers need a hand.
12-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like Joby sling strap on pictures, it looks comfortable. The only one thing stops me from buying it: that mount on the bottom. I don't want to get paranoid about the camera falling off.
Is it any sling strap available for an original way neck strap attachment? I would prefer to add the clasp to hold both sides of the strap together near the camera while wearing the strap cross shoulder.
Simple plastic clasp like this one
Ella Vickers Adjustable Strap w/ Plastic Clasp for Bags | Whitecaps Marine Outfitters
12-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JOBY Pro Sling Strap for Professional DSLRs
Joby has that safety tether.

Best sling straps - Amateur Photographer

Above you'll see some which attach to the lugs, they're essentially long neck straps. I like the sling with tripod lug mount because it slides along the strap, instead of moving the whole strap, which will change where the pad sits, if it's a padded strap.

The tripod mount is plenty strong, of course. One time as I was trying to get the dogs away from a deer which was following us for about 50 yards or so, my malamute broke free - and his cord had wrapped around the camera. The camera flew off - the split ring between the lug and the swivel mount had failed, bending into a U-shape and the camera went ballistic. The dogs had tripped me earlier, which probably destroyed the lens, but the second spill didn't help. No damage to the camera though the lens was fragged. I don't take the camera on solo dog walks during fawning season anymore. At least the dog came back after putting the fear of dog into momma deer.
12-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Above you'll see some which attach to the lugs, they're essentially long neck straps. I like the sling with tripod lug mount because it slides along the strap, instead of moving the whole strap, which will change where the pad sits, if it's a padded strap.
I would like to go around "light", the camera with tripod lug does not fit well in my bag as for now. (need another bag, and a few inserts for different sizes)

If Joby sling can be a neck strap, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

QuoteQuote:
One time as I was trying to get the dogs away from a deer which was following us for about 50 yards or so, my malamute broke free - and his cord had wrapped around the camera. The camera flew off - the split ring between the lug and the swivel mount had failed, bending into a U-shape and the camera went ballistic. The dogs had tripped me earlier, which probably destroyed the lens, but the second spill didn't help. No damage to the camera though the lens was fragged. I don't take the camera on solo dog walks during fawning season anymore. At least the dog came back after putting the fear of dog into momma deer.
That's a nightmare!
12-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote

That's a nightmare!
260lbs of dog trying to get at a deer, yeah. Frakking deer just kept following us. OK, 200lbs of dog and a 60lb husky trying to stay out of the way, which didn't work. I'm just glad it was the 4yr old malamute who got loose, our 80lb 2yr old husky can keep pace with a deer, the malamute can't. Honestly I was about 2 minutes away from just letting them all go. The leashes are connected, they'd get hung up on a tree soon enough.
And I had just two months before sent that lens in for repairs, not after that drop though, it was good and dead.