Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
In the picture with the tripod I don't understand what is holding the bag up to the person. The strap seems loose and I don't see anything going over his shoulders.
Am I missing something or was this photo staged?
The strap is your regular messenger-style strap, although it is quite wide. You're probably not seeing the strap on the left because it's black on black, indeed. The loop you see to the right is caused by a special feature of the strap. It has a clip (that you can move along the strap) and the bag has a buckle so you can shorten the strap length on a pinch. Useful for instance when biking, especially since you can also attach a secondary strap to hold the bag tight to your body.

12-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The strap is your regular messenger-style strap, although it is quite wide. You're probably not seeing the strap on the left because it's black on black, indeed. The loop you see to the right is caused by a special feature of the strap. It has a clip (that you can move along the strap) and the bag has a buckle so you can shorten the strap length on a pinch. Useful for instance when biking, especially since you can also attach a secondary strap to hold the bag tight to your body.
Thanks.
12-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think it's a black-on-black thing. Why is everything photographic black?! (except of course those pretty Pentax cameras). It makes it really hard to find anything (ever dropped your remote, for example?)
Hee, well, generally it's either to control/avoid appearing in reflections or to avoid unwanted attention.

For bags I usually go with black, (goes with everything) or sorta-military colours, (Which happen to go with almost everything I wear anyway,)

...and to deal with finding dropped round black things I carry a Scorpion tactical light. (I use it for other things, too: the lithium batteries can be pricey, but I rarely need to keep the light on for more than a few seconds a day on average, so it works out fine even if you only get a couple hours total out of a set. Things are brighter than LEDs and don't run on those horrid AAA batteries they make these days that seem to run down, blow up and leak, or cost nearly as much to get three of em when you need them anyway. Not to say a quality LED light wouldn't work fine, (they do make them to use lithium batteries and they might last longer, it's just the cheaper ones seem to be lousy quality compared to what you'd pay for an old fashioned mini-maglite, and my old xenon tactical light works quite impressively. (The price on them is down to about fourty bucks on these: they were sixty or seventy when I bought mine c year 2000. Only just had to replace a bulb when some cheap batteries from Hong Kong blew up in there recently: that's why I know the cheap substitutes don't cut the mustard for me. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
12-24-2014, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used Tamrac shoulder bags for 20 years bought one of their backpack style bags three years ago and like that, too.

Recently, I got one of their Apache shoulder bags. Great layout, but, the Chinese mfr uses a type of stiff foam sewn between the outer fabric and inner nylon which outgases some kind of silicone-like substance making everything slippery, rendering the bag useless. I tried repeatedly to machine-launder it out, to no avail.
Gura (Tamrac's new owner) was apparently unaware of the issue, and sent me a replacement - same thing. Major disappointment as I thought the design well-thought-out.

12-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I've used Tamrac shoulder bags for 20 years bought one of their backpack style bags three years ago and like that, too.

Recently, I got one of their Apache shoulder bags. Great layout, but, the Chinese mfr uses a type of stiff foam sewn between the outer fabric and inner nylon which outgases some kind of silicone-like substance making everything slippery, rendering the bag useless. I tried repeatedly to machine-launder it out, to no avail.
Gura (Tamrac's new owner) was apparently unaware of the issue, and sent me a replacement - same thing. Major disappointment as I thought the design well-thought-out.

That sounds like a major issue for Tamrac. Do you have any idea if it is an issue beyond that single model? If so, then a general warning would be useful to the members here.
12-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #36

My favorite bag to walk around with is the Lowepro Top Loader, until I got my K-3 with a battery grip. The bag isn't sized big enough for the camera with a battery grip. If they only added an inch or so to the width the bag would work perfectly.
12-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
My favorite bag to walk around with is the Lowepro Top Loader, until I got my K-3 with a battery grip. The bag isn't sized big enough for the camera with a battery grip. If they only added an inch or so to the width the bag would work perfectly.
Which model Toploader do you have? Just asking for future reference because I have the 55 & 75.

12-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Which model Toploader do you have? Just asking for future reference because I have the 55 & 75.
I have a TLZ 20. It works great for my K10D and K-5 without battery grips.
12-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a TLZ 20. It works great for my K10D and K-5 without battery grips.
My 55 will do my K5iis with grip and moderate zoom with no problem. The 75 does the same but with my Tamron 70-200 attached. If you like your TopLoader those might suite your new needs.
12-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #40

I didn't realize the Top Loader 55 is different than the TLZ. From the first photo I saw I thought that was the name for the TLZ. I will look into them. Thanks.
12-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't realize the Top Loader 55 is different than the TLZ. From the first photo I saw I thought that was the name for the TLZ. I will look into them. Thanks.
Hope it works for you. Happy Boxing Day.
12-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That sounds like a major issue for Tamrac. Do you have any idea if it is an issue beyond that single model? If so, then a general warning would be useful to the members here.
I've acquired two additional bags from them, of a different type, without any issues pertaining to those.

This is my second posting on the problem under this subforum
12-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Lets try to hit both ends of the spectrum with two related questions.

What is your favorite camera bag and why?

What bag was the biggest disappontment and why?
Favorite: Any one of my heavy canvas messenger or duffle bags. I have a padded lockable cage insert that I made that I can swap from bag to bag. So as long as a bag is sturdy and not so easy to cut through it will work. I find my Rothco army style bags are the most inconspicuous. They just don't look like camera bags, but I've also used it in my big purses and stuff too.

Not: My Tamron 515 holster bag. It's a good bag, and holds a lot more than I thought it would, and I do like that you can clip lens holders to it and expand it, but it stands out like a sore thumb when I am carrying it. It screams "Expensive camera in here!" and I don't like that, particularly not when I am working.
12-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Consider this my intro post to OBC. I only own 2 camera bags, and that's soon to change.

Does anybody have the Think Tank Glass Taxi? I'm considering it, and wonder what other think about it if so.

Think Tank Photo Glass Taxi Backpack (Black/Gray) 190 B&H Photo

I need something to carry the K3 w/ DA 300* + 1.4 rear converter all as one unit. The Pentax Sling bag has gotten me by for 5yrs before aquiring the DA 300*, but now that I have the 300, I soon realized that the sling bag is too small.

I like the Glass Taxi, because it looks basic. It carries a Camera with long lens, 2 or 3 other accessories, and small storage. Pretty much what I am looking for in a bag just for long lens use.

If not the Glass Taxi, what do you like to carry your DSLR + Long lens in? I'm wide open for suggestions.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 04-01-2015 at 10:10 PM.
12-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, my long lens it's probably not quite THAT big, lol, but actually I just use a padded yoga mat bag that I bought just for that and my tripod. It slings over my shoulder and works fairly well, doesn't get in the way of whatever messenger bag I might be carrying. Mat bags can be very handy for some things other than carrying yoga mats actually. I also use them to cart my BJD's to meets and such. Works in terms of slealth too I think. Everybody just thinks I'm on the way to a yoga class and nobody wants to steal a sweaty old yoga mat... :P