Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Does anybody have the Think Tank Glass Taxi? I'm considering it, and wonder what other think about it if so.
I don't have the Glass Taxi, but I do have a rather similar Think Tank Street Walker. It's a great bag, just what you expect from Think Tank, truly deluxe construction and well thought out. The only problem with it is the same problem as all backpacks. It's great for packing gear, but you need to remove the bag to get at your camera. That doesn't suit my style. I like quick access. I usually carry the DA*300 on a sling strap but I recently bought a Think Tank Digital Holster and it's pretty good. Either way I usually bring a messenger bag for other gear.

If I could find a sling bag that holds the K-3, DA*300 and 1.4X TC, with hood, I might get one.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-29-2014 at 06:12 AM.
12-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't have the Glass Taxi, but I do have a rather similar Think Tank Street Walker. It's a great bag, just what you expect from Think Tank, truly deluxe construction and well thought out. The only problem with it is the same problem as all backpacks. It's great for packing gear, but you need to remove it get at your camera. That doesn't suit my style. I like quick access. I usually carry the DA*300 on a sling strap but I recently bought a Think Tank Digital Holster and it's pretty good. Either way I usually bring a messenger bag for other gear.

If I could find a sling bag that holds the K-3, DA*300 and 1.4X TC, with hood, I might get one.
Now precisely a sling bag but I believe the Toploader 75 Pro will hold that rig and makes access quick and easy. I use it for the K-5iis+grip+70-200.
12-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Domke F-XC for me….. holds K3, F*300 4.5, FA77, FA43, FA31, DA15 and DA21….. spare battery and some lens cleaning stuff etc.

Easy to change lenses with…..and fits in my back pack when travelling on a plane etc.
12-29-2014, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Now precisely a sling bag but I believe the Toploader 75 Pro will hold that rig and makes access quick and easy. I use it for the K-5iis+grip+70-200.
The design of the Toploader 75 is very similar to the Think Tank Digital Holster 30 that I now own. The difference between them is that the Digital Holster will hold the K-3/DA*300/1.4X with the hood mounted in shooting position, which is what I need. The LowePro will not fit the added length of the hood.

12-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The design of the Toploader 75 is very similar to the Think Tank Digital Holster 30 that I now own. The difference between them is that the Digital Holster will hold the K-3/DA*300/1.4X with the hood mounted in shooting position, which is what I need. The LowePro will not fit the added length of the hood.
No, not in shooting position.
12-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #51
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm also looking for a holster case to hold my K10D w/grip and either the 55-300 lens, or the Tokina 400.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I just bought a LowePro shoulder bag, but it won't hold 2 bodies w/lens attached.
12-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Will the Digital Holster hold the K-3/DA*300/1.4X with a grip on the camera body?

12-29-2014, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Will the Digital Holster hold the K-3/DA*300/1.4X with a grip on the camera body?
Yes, it does.
01-17-2015, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adding a new bag to my list of those I like - I bought it because it was on a deep discount sale during the Thanksgiving-Christmas period. TheLowepro 250 Urban Photo Sling holds 1 dSLR with medium long lens attached (70-200 at max) plus 3 lenses. I'm using it with my K3+grip right now and because of the FluCard I am finding that using it is superior to my TopLoaders because it has a slot for a tablet. I've revived my iPad1 for use exclusively with my K3 because all you need is WiFi and a browser to control the camera through the FluCard. The iPad1 is pretty useless these days because of Apple's abusive policy of not allowing iOS updates on hardware that can handle them because they want to sell new hardware. When I realized that the FluCard would communicate with the old iPad that made having a bag that would also accommodate the table a very attractive aspect of any bag for the K-3. I already had the 250 Urban Sling and despite it having a few shortcomings (front pouch is small and unpadded, top doesn't open wide enough unless you uncouple the two straps that stop it from opening wider) it's not huge, it is somewhat weather resistant (although no dedicated cover), construction is solid, it holds a moderate amount of gear, and it holds and protects a tablet. All for $20 and I already owned it

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-250-urban-photo-sling.html
01-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #55
Veteran Member

To update my previous post looking for something to carry some gear, I went with the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW Daypack (Blue/Light Gray) LP36423

I can fit the K3 w/ DA300* + HD 1.4 TC all as one unit, as well as a couple other lenses, tripod, and misc items. It's a little larger than the Pentax Slingbag, has more room, rides comfortably on the shoulders, and fits what I was looking for as far as something to carry gear into the woods and have decent access to it. I'll post a real picture soon.

Adding a new bag to my list of those I like
I wonder if a K3 w/ DA300* would fit in there. From your picture, it looks like it may.
01-17-2015, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To update my previous post looking for something to carry some gear, I went with the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW Daypack (Blue/Light Gray) LP36423

I can fit the K3 w/ DA300* + HD 1.4 TC all as one unit, as well as a couple other lenses, tripod, and misc items. It's a little larger than the Pentax Slingbag, has more room, rides comfortably on the shoulders, and fits what I was looking for as far as something to carry gear into the woods and have decent access to it. I'll post a real picture soon.

I wonder if a K3 w/ DA300* would fit in there. From your picture, it looks like it may.
Since the 70-200 is 7.9in and the DA300 is 7.2in I think it should fit fine.
01-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #57
Veteran Member

my K3 because all you need is WiFi and a browser to control the camera through the FluCard.
Forgot to mention. My cell phone is reaching the end of its life, so on impulse, I jumped on a smartphone with a 6" screen. After having that for a few days, I find it awkward to carry around in my pocket, so i'll be keeping it as a small tablet and getting a smaller phone for every day use. Now, I have a small tablet and am even more curious about the Flucard with intentions of moving forward. That's why I questioned if your bag would hold the DA300*.

Is there any way to check to see if my small Android tablet would be compatible and work with the Flucard before actually getting it? It's running Android Kitkat.
01-17-2015, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to mention. My cell phone is reaching the end of its life, so on impulse, I jumped on a smartphone with a 6" screen. After having that for a few days, I find it awkward to carry around in my pocket, so i'll be keeping it as a small tablet and getting a smaller phone for every day use. Now, I have a small tablet and am even more curious about the Flucard with intentions of moving forward. That's why I questioned if your bag would hold the DA300*.

Is there any way to check to see if my small Android tablet would be compatible and work with the Flucard before actually getting it? It's running Android Kitkat.
All you need is WiFi and a browser. If you phone has those two it should be good to go. I'm using the original iPad that I had surplussed because it was essentially a dumb terminal after Apple abandoned it. Now, its my field use table that gives me a huge screen to focus with and remote control my K3!
01-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Can't say I've had any disappointments yet as I've only owned two bags and both are very good. So what's my favourite bag? The one I'm using right now, an fstop Loka backpack with a Small Pro ICU.

fstop is an American company producing photography backpacks and bags. The system is different to that of other manufacturers as most of their backpacks come without a camera compartment - these are called ICU, are sold separately in various sizes and can be inserted into the backpack and fixed in place by velcro straps. Access to the ICU is via the zippered back panel.

The reason I went for the Loka is that I travel a lot and am out and about in the Scottish highlands on a weekly/monthly basis. The size is perfect for day trips in the winter (crampons, spare gloves and hats, helmet, over-trousers etc.) or weekend trips in the summer (thin and light clothing) and when not deliberately crammed it fits even the cheapest airlines' carry-on luggage restrictions. I partnered the Loka up with one of their smallest ICUs (Small Pro) as it comfortably fits my current gear (K3 + 18-55 WR + DA 35 f/2.4 + SMC-A 50 f/1.7) and future purchases (a tele-zoom and an ultra wide-angle) and still leaves enough space for hiking and mountaineering gear.

I got the backpack in mid-December and so far had three opportunities to try it out, twice travelling to visit my grandparents/friends within Germany and once today on a winter skills course in the Cairngorms (Scottish Highlands).

What I like:

Outstanding material and build quality - feels great and sturdy, most zippers are weather sealed.
Doubles as a photography backpack/normal backpack - you just take the ICU out for more space and have a normal hiking pack.
Compression straps on both sides for tripod/snowboard/ski/ice axe
Expandable - when you acquire more and more gear, you can just buy a larger ICU instead of having to get a whole new pack.
Loads of little pockets and pouches for filters/batteries/SD cards etc.
Access from top and back - means that especially in winter mountaineering you don't have to spend a lot of time planning what you expect to need at which time and packing your pack accordingly, as you have easy access from two sides and can pretty much reach any piece of gear in your backpack instantly.
Secure - access from the back means that it is virtually impossible for anyone to steal your photo gear when the pack is worn.
Great fit, well padded - unlike many other photography backpacks, this one fits great and is as well padded as any dedicated hiking/trekking/mountaineering pack.
Looks great (subjective though) - let's be honest, unlike camera sling backs most camera backpacks look extremely boring. Not this one
Can fit a hydration pack

What I don't like:

Unpadded laptop sleeve on the front - since the back part of the pack is reserved for access to the ICU, the (unpadded) laptop sleeve is on the other side. It's happened to me a couple of times now that I have casually thrown the pack on some luggage rack in trains or buses just for my MacBook to utter a a loud, metallic *klonk* of complaint and I facepalming myself.
No rain cover included - seriously, for that amount of money I would've expected it. The pack is well sealed but not absolutely waterproof, something you want to have when living in Scotland.

And now a couple of pictures.

The pack with my tripod (Manfrotto 055XPROB) attached - tripods can be attached on either side or on the front.

This is the ICU - the empty part is where my K3 with attached 18-55 WR would normally sit, the Kr has left and its space has been taken over by a first aid kit:

And here's the pack sitting on top of a Munro in the Cairngorms just a couple of hours ago:

On top of the ICU with my camera gear and first aid kit, today it carried a helmet, lunch (sandwiches, biscuits, chocolate), crampons, extra gloves, waterproof trousers and glasses in the main compartment, small stuff like my phone, wallet, compass, headlight etc. in the top pouch, bottles of water in the nets and the ice axe on the side (under the compression straps).
01-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Favorite: Tenba Discovery Photo / Laptop Messenger

I had some specific needs (2 bodies w/ lenses plus 2 more lenses, tablet computer, fit under airplane seat, stands upright, top opening), and this does it all. I have a full review here.
When going light, however, I got one of these fanny/shoulder packs:

I can get a K-30 with the 18-135 lens on it plus a small prime (DA 21) plus a spare battery and a lenspen in that thing.