Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those with OBC - Obsessive Bag Collection - disorder

Lets try to hit both ends of the spectrum with two related questions.

What is your favorite camera bag and why?

What bag was the biggest disappontment and why?

12-04-2014, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I guess since I have (counts quickly in head) 7-10 camera bags, I might qualify for OBC... except they are almost all Kata GDC (which means somewhat armored) models from a few years back, with quite a few being bought for pennies on the dollar at closeouts. Vitec/Manfrotto bought Kata and slowly killed off the brand. Their old designs are slowly trickling out as kinda crappy Manfrotto bags now... too sad!

My favorite is the (long discontinued)Kata R-104 backpack:

That big, ribbed flap can be pull-zipped open and release the primary camera (with 50-500 attached) while all the other lenses and flashes, etc., stay inside. I've put huge miles on this bag, and it only looks dusty. The yellow interior is still my favorite for finding lost camera attachments in dim light, and that has also held up well over 10 years. This is why I bought an R-102, SB-904, W-94, HB-205, tripod bags, lens bags, etc., etc.

Biggest disappointment would be the (very recently introduced) Domke Ledger:

I had the original Domke F2 for a long time before it "went missing" in Central America, and recently had a chance to try out the Next Generation of Domke bags, which include the Ledger. It is a big shoulder bag in the style of the F2, but has rigid sides and adjustable dividers. Alas, it only comes with 2 dividers (1 long, 1 short) so most of the interior space is either wasted or you have gear on top of gear with no separation. Next, it's heavy as hell even when completely empty, and a pain to get open unless you only use the velcro (no zippers to be found on it). Finally, it costs $300, while a new F2 is $110. WTF??

Last edited by panoguy; 12-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
12-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea the brand of mine. It is a shoulder bag and I have had it for over 23 years and I can't even remember where I got it. It may have even been the photo department at K-Mart when they used to have one. It has the letters LTD on a leather medallion on the front. It hold two bodies and six lenses. The largest being my Tamron 70-210 f3.5. That little beast has about 30,000 miles of car time on it. The latest being 5,800 miles this past August/September.

Right now it is carrying and K5, a K5-IIs, Pentax 12-24mm DA, Sigma 17-70, Pentax 300mm f4 A*, Tamron 90mm macro, Pentax 50mm f1.4, K5 battery grip and AA battery insert, 7 polarizer and haze filters, a wired remote, some memory cards, a {pro}master Traveler battery charger, a Tamron 1.4x AF teleconverter, and some small misc stuff.

I used to carry 12 rolls of film in the side pockets, but they are now used for some of he stuff listed above. The bag itself without the pockets measures about 14" (355mm) wide by 7" (177mm) wide by 8" (202mm) high.

My LowePro Mini Trekker is mainly a storage bag for lenses and a few film bodies.
12-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the shoulder bags (Lowepro and Crumplers) the most comfortable. I tried liking the Lowepro sling type, but it just won't stay on its place once you start moving even if you use the waist strap.

I have one Lowepro shoulder that I have been using since 2003, discolored but holding up well. I have also been using those $2.50 bag that holds a single dslr with a lens (nothing more) and find them comfortable, well padded and easy to access. Confession: I have 6 camera bags

12-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My current favorite is my "British Correspondent's" Bag, sold in the 80's by Banana Republic, and likely made by Billingham. Total cost... $10.

My biggest disappointment was probably the Domke F-6. I found it poorly layed out.
I just bought a new Domke F-2 though, and so far I really like it.

Last edited by Swift1; 12-04-2014 at 08:09 PM.
12-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowepro 250 AW. I can carry my laptop, my camera and a great variety of lenses (and food) in a comfortable way.
And not a disappointment but I bought a tamrac when I first got my K-x and turned out to be too small for all the equipment that was coming after that.
12-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had a Lowepro Flipside 300 for many years - I really enjoy the design and security of it.
The bag I would say I was most disappointed with has already been mentioned: the Domke Ledger. I gave the one I got to my sister - she travels more than I do, so she uses it to carry some bits & pieces on day trips as well as a camera and a zoom lens.The green khaki with red trim pic the pano guy posted of this bag is a particular eyesore (mine was black).

12-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I have it too. My OBC:
  • Pentax sling bag (the larger one, fits a lot, but not the DA*300)
  • Think Tank Streetwalker (backpack, fits just about anything)
  • Think Tank Retrospective 30 (large messenger, I use this for flash with bracket, spare lenses)
  • LowePro Event Messenger 150 (mid-sized messenger, DSLR with a couple of spare lenses)
  • LowePro Event Messenger 100 (small messenger, fits MILC and lenses, not DSLR)
  • Generic small messenger (holds DSLR with lens)
Arriving tomorrow:
  • Think Tank Digital Holster 30 V2.0

I could give you a long list of what's right and what's wrong with each. Messenger bags are my favourites, because of easy access, but even the large one can't handle my K-3/DA*300/TC combo, which is the reason I bought the big holster. I don't like a backpack for the field, because accessing the gear is way too slow & clumsy.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-03-2015 at 08:14 AM.
12-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like this one from Monoprice:

It's not the most durable bag around--mine looks pretty rough but has held up through a lot of us, but it often goes on sale for $20 or less. I had one and then bought a Manfrotto one earlier in the year to accommodate my big lenses and have more room when I travel (valuable carry on!). I like that bag well enough but it's a lot bigger than I like to carry. I now use the Monoprice one when I'm not carrying my 70-200 or 300 around. It's small enough to fit in a suitcase and works great as a walk-around bag. It fits my Sigma 18-35 still attached and the two sides hold 2 primes and the F 70-210. It's light and inconspicuous too!
12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I like this one from Monoprice:

It's not the most durable bag around--mine looks pretty rough but has held up through a lot of us, but it often goes on sale for $20 or less. I had one and then bought a Manfrotto one earlier in the year to accommodate my big lenses and have more room when I travel (valuable carry on!). I like that bag well enough but it's a lot bigger than I like to carry. I now use the Monoprice one when I'm not carrying my 70-200 or 300 around. It's small enough to fit in a suitcase and works great as a walk-around bag. It fits my Sigma 18-35 still attached and the two sides hold 2 primes and the F 70-210. It's light and inconspicuous too!
I have a similar bag to that one, different branding but very similar. I have an older Domke F2 and a Galen Rowell modular bag
, the matching light weight bag, and a few other goodies.
12-04-2014, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the LowePro Nova 200; just got it. It will hold two bodies, and at least 4 lenses. Has several zippered pockets, as well as two on the side of the bag for charger, etc. Also has a built-in rain cover. I've had another LowePro for many, many years and it's held up extremely well; it holds an dslr with a long lens, easily.

I've had many bags over the years, and can't say I've been disappointed in any of them. Each served a specific purpose and camera equipment I had at the time.
12-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

i have a closet full of bags but there are the Lowepro slingshot bags AW200 & AW300 are my favorites. I find the sling action to be great as a portable table for changing lenses, etc in the field and easy to grab lenses out from the top flap. The warranty service from Lowepro is excellent, BTW.
12-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #13

I have a vanguard biin 37 sling bag and love it. It small and light tho i can take +3 lenses quite easy.
And the design doesn't shout "i have lot of expensive stuff there".. also couldn't live without the slingshot system!

The con is that its not WR so i use a rain cover from national geographic.

You can checkout https://aventurereflex.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/la-vraie-taille-des-sacs-pho...-collaboratif/ wich compare few bag review with highlights on the "real" sizes) there you can see how compact biin 37 is

Last edited by zitounae; 12-05-2014 at 01:34 AM.
12-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter

My favorite is the Thinktank Streetwalker HD backpack. It fits under the seat on a plane and holds everything I may ever want to take on a trip.
My least favorite was a Lowepro bag Pro messenger 20. I bought it becaue it was so similar to a Thinktank Retrospective 20 bag but it was not nearly as usable as the Retrospective 20. I found it difficult to get the camera in and out of it.
For my K5IIs and little DA or FA primes, I like the Domke F5xc. It has a lower zippered compartment that can be partitioned off to hold 3 small primes. It is green canvas and looks decent too. My only complaint with it is the camera compartment is a little thinner than I would like.
12-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My favorite is actuall two cases in the same series - the Lowepro Top Loaders. I have the 55 and 75 for different main lens uses (the two larger ones in the 2nd stock photo). The 55 for everything but my Tam70-200 and Sig150-500 and the 75 for the Tam70-200 (no good solution for the 150-500 yet I'm afraid).

I like the Sliplock system a lot and own a variety of lens cases, pouches, etc that will fit onto these bags. The only downside to them is that the padding on the bottom (of all places) is thin, which is easily solved with some foam in the bottom of the bag. Got a couple of very nice non-slip well-padded shoulder straps and the set-up really works for me. I'm not a hiker and so backpacks are too big for my outings which are mostly family events and sports outings.

The bag that was the biggest disappointment to me was the Vanguard Up-Rise 43 Sling Bag. I just could not get used to how it road when worn and the central vertical opening on the bag was a real PITA to use IMHO. Nice construction, good space, but those two made it unusable for me. I hope that the person that bought it found it more to their liking.