Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have several old Le Mans bags by Diamond. I particularly like the SE series in black with red trim. Their model 4040 is perfect for medium format stuff.

12-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The Pentax sling bag fits both of your questions. We bought two of them, three actually as the first one we ordered was for granddaughter. It was surprising how well the gear fit into it and the good design of the places for batteries and CD cards. The disappointment was that my wife's bag zipper for the lens compartment went within the first year. She had a shoe maker replace the zipper as the tab was an irregular type that he could not get a replacement. The replacement is also having the same problem so I think that there was a construction problem with the bag that did not allow the zipper to make the curve properly. I at first blamed her for packing it too large of lenses but for the last year and more she has been using mine and no problem. I use a Lowe Pro sling bag with slip lock bags so if I want to travel light I have two lenses in a small case that attaches to my belt and now a large bag that is just large enough to hold the camera and can also attach to the belt or has a strap. I bought it for the K-r but did try the K5 prior to ordering the K5iis. My light travelling kit is the dslr, 15 and 70 limiteds and the DA 35 2.4.

The best deal on a bag was a Lowe Pro bag that looked like it had never been used and was for $3. I bought it and brought it home and then tried to figure out what to do with it. It now houses my Hasselblad holding three lenses, two extension tubes the camera with two backs and a light meter. It is a shoulder bag and is small and the whole kit is light weight even filled.
12-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Won it on a Mid-Atlantic Pentaxian Group outing as the "Best Pentax Photographer Ever!" "Newbie Most in Need of Help"

I find it very handy--on its own or to carry a 2nd body & smaller lenses when I'm out & about with a telephoto. You can see my solution to my biggest gripe--black zippers on a black bag ()
12-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote

Won it on a Mid-Atlantic Pentaxian Group outing as the "Best Pentax Photographer Ever!" "Newbie Most in Need of Help"

I find it very handy--on its own or to carry a 2nd body & smaller lenses when I'm out & about with a telephoto. You can see my solution to my biggest gripe--black zippers on a black bag ()
It was the bottom zipper that went on my wife's. It is very well laid out though

12-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Currently my newest is also my favourite small enough for an unobtrusive day bag large enough packed right to hold most of my kit for travel . Ona Brixton canvas. Biggest disappointment aside from freebie bags over the years (pretty much all worth what I paid) I'd say the crumpler my wife bought me good bag but way too big - maybe if I was packing a 645z kit .....

Last edited by eddie1960; 12-09-2014 at 11:14 AM.
12-07-2014, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

My best bags have been my Domke F3 and a small Fotima bag. I bought the Fotima bag long, long ago in a small camera shop for about half of what the large chain store in our city was asking. It was my film bag for about 30+ years. It's not very big, but it held an LX, MX, 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 100 macro, 200, extension tube set, 1.4 and 2X extenders, plus a small flash, filters, extra film, cable release, cleaning kit. etc... What more do you need? Of course, it weighed a ton when fully loaded, but everything was very accessible. I once had an instructor ask me to bring it to our workshop to show how much you could pack into a small space. My Domke has been my day-trip bag for a long, long time. It doesn't offer that much protection, but it just seems to swallow up almost anything I care to pack into it. I'm not sure I have a biggest disappointment bag because I generally feel that it's not the bag so much as how I'm trying to use it. That said, I guess my biggest disappointment (and that's very slight) would be my LowePro Magnum bag. I bought it in hopes of being able to turn it into my "everything" bag...prime, zoom, macro...whatever. However, I've yet to find a way of setting it up that suits everything. The bag is up to it. It's just me who is not finding the right lay-out, I think. I believe that every bag has a right purpose. It's mostly a question of matching the bag to the shooting situation. Because I think that...I have weirdo bags, like a Craftsman tool bag, an Army medic bag, and an assortment of stuff I've picked up at thrift stores and garage sales.

Last edited by TaoMaas; 12-08-2014 at 05:01 AM.
12-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Because I think that...I have weirdo bags, like a Craftsman tool bag, an Army medic bag, and an assortment of stuff I've picked up at thrift stores and garage sales.
I have a standard issue military 5.56mm magazine bag that just happens to be able to fit a Leica M9 and two lenses in it.

12-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have a standard issue military 5.56mm magazine bag that just happens to be able to fit a Leica M9 and two lenses in it.
Back before gear got so much better, I had an instructor at a Nikon school recommend using military rifle slings as camera straps. He said, "Hey...it's military grade. It was designed to perform and last." Hmm...good point. So I went out and bought 3 straps. Think I only paid a buck or two for each of them. I'm still using them several decades later. In fact, I just switched one over to a thrift store bag I bought because the factory strap was so lame.
12-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my first bag was the Lowepro messenger 150, bought when I first got my K-50. Gets used loads and is my go to bag when travelling abroad.

Then I got the Lowepro flipside 400AW. Needed a bigger bag for hiking, to hold more lenses and a tripod as well. I also use it for any family events where I need to bring along flash and wireless triggers.This is a brilliant backpack and holds lots of stuff.

Then I bought the Lowepro Apex 110AW since I wanted a small bag to hold just the camera with a mounted prime along with an extra prime. Usually K-50+ DA35mm and the DA15mm is the way to go since these just about fit. Should have gone with the 120AW instead.

dont have OBC yet but I still think I dont have enough bags... so maybe im getting there!
12-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I currently use four bags.

Favourite : Timbuk2 Small snoop messenger (not my picture):

I love it for several reasons:

1-I love messenger bags for all-purpose shooting and traveling
2-the bag has the best craftsmanship I've ever seen
3-It is waterproof
4-It has hooks underneath to attach a tripod (that picture is of the Medium size, I use the small):

5-It has a pocket to accommodate a tablet or small laptop
6-The size of the compartment is perfect, and it's thicker in the center, thinner at the sides, which makes it easier to wear
7-The strap if excellent, with a padded sleeve and a latch to shorten it when needed
8-It looks great (many colour options) and doesn't scream "camera bag"

That being said, I also use three other bags:

1-a small sling bag ("Snarlyfish", the next thing to a no-name brand) when I want to travel light. Nothing to complain here
2-a regular hiking backpack with an insert in the bottom compartment for ... hiking...
3-A square padded case with wheels (from my company's surplus) with dividers and an insert to carry studio equipment when needed.

To answer the other question : the only purchase I didn't like was a cheap insert bought from ebay. The sewing unraveled way too fast. Now I use Ape Case Cubeze inserts, much more durable and not more expensive.
12-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #26

I've gone through a lot o f bags, and when I say a lot I mean it, and from every brand.

My everyday bag is my Cullman Madrid Maxima 330

It usually fits my k5 with one to three lenses plus my tablet, umbrella on the side few filters, memory cards and accessories.
Works absolutely wonders ad an everyday bag

Most used bag
lowepro slingshot 202 aw

Second most used
Think Tank Airport Essentials

I think this was hands down the most positive surprise in all my camera bags buying history, before this one I never thought I could love anything as or more than my slingshot.
It's just amazing.

Biggest disappointmen
I guess it was the kata 3in133dl.
Some odd things about it, and it just didn't work smoothly as a sling it always made me feel like an astronaut walking around

12-09-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
I've gone through a lot o f bags, and when I say a lot I mean it, and from every brand.

My everyday bag is my Cullman Madrid Maxima 330

It usually fits my k5 with one to three lenses plus my tablet, umbrella on the side few filters, memory cards and accessories.
Works absolutely wonders ad an everyday bag

Most used bag
lowepro slingshot 202 aw

Second most used
Think Tank Airport Essentials

I think this was hands down the most positive surprise in all my camera bags buying history, before this one I never thought I could love anything as or more than my slingshot.
It's just amazing.

Biggest disappointmen
I guess it was the kata 3in133dl.
Some odd things about it, and it just didn't work smoothly as a sling it always made me feel like an astronaut walking around
I agree about the Kata. It's a well made bag but somehow it doesn't feel right.
12-09-2014, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I agree about the Kata. It's a well made bag but somehow it doesn't feel right.
Yeah, and when you don't feel like grabbing it and going to shoot with it, that's when you know it doesn't work.
12-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I currently use four bags.

Favourite : Timbuk2 Small snoop messenger (not my picture):
In the picture with the tripod I don't understand what is holding the bag up to the person. The strap seems loose and I don't see anything going over his shoulders.
Am I missing something or was this photo staged? (I know it isn't your photo)
12-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
In the picture with the tripod I don't understand what is holding the bag up to the person. The strap seems loose and I don't see anything going over his shoulders.
Am I missing something or was this photo staged? (I know it isn't your photo)

I think it's a black-on-black thing. Why is everything photographic black?! (except of course those pretty Pentax cameras). It makes it really hard to find anything (ever dropped your remote, for example?)