Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW

I've been using the Pentax Slingbag for the last few years and never thought about getting another bag until I got lenses that no longer fit in the Pentax bag. So, I went with this.

I like the extra room that it has inside for camera / lenses. Here's my K3 w/ 300*, K5 w/ D FA 100, and another lens or two.

The shoulder straps ride comfortably, I just wish I could loosen them a little more so that the bag rides a little lower on my back. I wasn't using the waist strap at the time, so it's tucked out of sight in with the rain cover.

Here's the side storage compartment. I would like to have more small storage areas so that I didn't have to bundle all of my misc items together, but this one does fine.

My only complaint is the tripod holder. Either I am doing something wrong, or it just doesn't work as well as it should. The tripod goes in here:

Then, you close it up and strap it down.

My problem is that, no matter how tight I put the straps, the tripod eventually starts sliding down and out of the pocket as I am walking.

Other than the small gripe about the tripod holder, I really have no big complaints and like it a lot. It holds a lot of stuff, isn't huge, and is comfortable to carry.

01-25-2015, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #62

Just put two tripod legs behind the top strap of the tripod holder and this will stop it from sliding out the bottom

Cheers Chris.
01-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_T Quote
Just put two tripod legs behind the top strap of the tripod holder and this will stop it from sliding out the bottom

Cheers Chris.
Didn't even think to do that! Thanks!!!
01-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #64
Pentaxian

I'm a big fan of the Think Tank Retrospective bags - well made, comfortable, they don't scream "I'm a camera bag with lots of expensive gear inside" and they are well designed. They don't suit every purpose, but for general use they are superb (IMO) - I currently have the 10 and a 50 in "Pinestone" finish.

03-01-2015, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have too many camera bags and strangely I feel not enough when I see threads like this.

Good: Domke F-5XC

One body and lots of Ltd lenses fit, and is easy for urban travelling.
Took this one to UK-France this year for 3 weeks with K-5IIS, DA15, FA31, DA18-135WR, and a Sigma 8-16, O-GPS1, filters, batteries, cards and a few other bits. Easy and comfortable and didn't get in the way. My wife's handbag was bigger & bulkier.

not my photo

Not So good: Kata DT-213

I got this one together with a waist pack Kata DW-493. I have used the waist pack quite a few times but this torso pack just doesn't work. It has plenty of padding and I thought of using it while biking or skiing or hiking ..... but it just gets in the way with all those activities. It's even difficult to get a camera out of it without smacking yourself in the face or knocking a your hat off.
It does appear a little awkward when worn also. (I was going to say it makes me look a bit of a "knob-end" but there could be other factors influencing that description)

not my photo

Good and Bad : Kata DR 466i

I needed a backpack style for transporting a couple of bodies and several lenses in hand luggage and also for use when travelling.
I don't generally like shooting out of a backpack but have to hold gear somehow.
The Kata 3in1 style looked interesting in the demos but seeing one for real it seemed it was rigid and boxy.
Good backpacks are pretty expensive and these Kata DR ones seemed pretty good. A DR 466i came up for 40bucks (>65% off) so I grabbed one. It is pretty well made and the bottom section is nicely padded with those yellow dividers and there's lots of little zipper sections for small bits and pieces.

The bad part is the DR 466i size is a bit small. The bottom section is the same "techincally" as the 467i but it's kind of squashed in and is a little awkward to get into. The top section is significantly smaller than the 467i I'd say 1/2 the volume and the laptop slot is pretty tight even for a 13.3". After buying it I saw this youtube clip with a comparison. 466i on the left and 467i on the right.

not my photo

Good: Tiffen filter pouch
This is really handy. I always carry 3 or 4 filters CPL or ND's and this little pouch stuck on a belt is really handy. I put lens caps in there too. I didn't buy the Tiffen filters, just the pouch.

photo from B&H

Good: Think tank Belt and "Skin" Components

These are really good if you like walking but don't like camera backpacks. - A little difficult to sit down with it loaded up though.
I've got one if the padded belts and 3 different sizes of the unpadded pouches, "Body bag" (wide one) , "50" (short one) and "75" (long one).

not my photo but the same setup except with padded belt.

Quite comfortable to carry on the hips and fits a decent amount of stuff of you don't get to crazy.
I used this setup for soccer games, motorsport, yacht racing and a rodeo (all with 2 bodies).

It's also good for hiking which I did in Tasmania last weekend and central Australia last year.
Pictured below is in Kings Canyon in NT carrying a K-5, DA15, FA31, DA35macro DA100macro, DA18-135, DA55-300, Sigma 8-16, O-GPS1, mini tripod, rocket blower, batteries, cards and BIG bottle of water and some snack bars. (NO Backpack)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by steve1307; 03-01-2015 at 05:23 AM.
03-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #66
Pentaxian

My Initial kit was a K-x 18-55 and 55-300
small Pentax camera bag FREE upon purchase of my kit Yey! I don't need to buy or spend another dime just for bags

and then my misery follows: (bought and sold due to Major issues. lol :P)
for hiking and travel
Lowepro Flipside 200 (when I bought additional gear, sold it)
Lowepro Passport Sling (the bag always rotate, sold it)
Lowepro Inverse 100 (either too small compartment or too bulky on my waist)

I learned that my back is not good in carrying heavy loads and I find it cumbersome everytime I have to remove my gear

and then I started looking for belt system that is not bulky to carry around (plus I shoot more events)
Here's what I have right now
For lugging and travel
Think Tank Change Up V1
Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 V2

For actual shooting
Think Tank Speed Belt
+ Skin Chimp Cage
+ Hubba Hubba Hiney
+ Skin 50

After I got my 2nd camera (my wife's) I am on the fence of getting a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 to continue my belt system or get a dual spider holster but that would mean spending more.

To reflect my current gear
2 apsc bodies
2 Metz flashes
2 zooms with 2.8's (17-50 and 50-150)
DA Primes 21,35,50 &70
DA18-55 WR
Tamron 70-300

Last edited by wed7; 03-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.
03-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #67

K-3 + DA* 2.8/50-135mm with the hood attached (shooting position) fits with length into Lowepro Toploader 75 AW (original).
But Lowepro Toploader 75 AW is very wide & bulky holster (8'' x 8'' ?) for Pentax APSC body (non-grip).
Think Tank Digital Holster 30 and 20 seem to be of great design (v. II).
I'm curious if Think Tank Digital Holster 20 (shorter of the two models) fits K-3 + DA* 50-135mm with the hood mounted, or you have to go up to Holster 30.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The design of the Toploader 75 is very similar to the Think Tank Digital Holster 30 that I now own. The difference between them is that the Digital Holster will hold the K-3/DA*300/1.4X with the hood mounted in shooting position, which is what I need. The LowePro will not fit the added length of the hood.

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-19-2015 at 09:57 AM.
03-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I've been bitten by the OBC recently. In Oct. I bought the LowePro Nova 200 AW shoulder bag. A few weeks ago I bought a Tamrac backpack bag; loved it so much that when I saw a larger one in mint condition on Marketplace, I bought it; will arrive Monday! I also have a smaller LowePro shoulder bag. I ran out of room, so today I listed the LowePro Nova on Marketplace! Too many bags, not enough room!
03-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I don't like bags that look like camera bags.

This is my current camera bag:

Saddleback Leather Gadget Bag (Large)

But it's a little too small now (I have to either leave the 60-250 at home or carry my K3 outside the bag), so I'm looking at switching to one of these:

Saddleback Leather Dry Bag (Large) - roughly the same width and length dimensions as the gadget bag, but much taller, and it rolls closed to keep dust out (and you can roll it around a tripod if you so desire), and that means the height is much more flexible. It even has two different straps for closing, depending on how much space you need.

I put a sheet of foam padding in the bottom to protect whenI set it down, and all my lenses are in neoprene pouches.

I also have 2 sizes of these, for travel, though I've mostly taken the camera specific bits out and used them as carryon suitcases so far. Really handy, especially if you travel with someone who overpacks like my wife does
I'm thinking of selling the smaller one:

Porter Case - /main/product_info.php/products_id/28
04-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #70

What actually numbers with bags' names mean?

75, 200, 400, etc. - are they litres multiplied by 10?, cubic inches?, ozs?, cubic centimetres divided by pi^2?
04-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #71
Veteran Member

These days I'm using a wired, lockable, padded insert that I made in any messenger bag I happen to want to use. That's what works for me being able to put my gear in any one of a number of bags I have according to what fits and what I am carrying otherwise. I don't carry a designated camera bag very often anymore. I do have two black canvas rothco bags that I do use a lot though and one little bag that I use strictly for my M43 cameras. At this point I've wired both of them with craft wire and beads so they can't be cut off me or slashed easily so they don't look quite like this but these are the bags:

I'm a big Rothco bag fan. They made some really tough, military style bags. This one I've had since 2012 and it still looks as good as the day I got it. It's a bit big but it's made very well and carries a lot of stuff. With my Manhattan Portage insert and the internal wire cage I made for it I don't worry much about theft while using it. Most people don't even realize it's a camera bag. This is my big job bag, when I'm out all day and working...

Amazon.com: Vintage Multi Pocket Messenger Bag, Black: Clothing

I also have this, also Rothco:

Amazon.com: Rothco Vintage Explorer Messenger Bag (Black): Clothing

and I'm about to buy this one just because it's creepy, it's vintage style, it matches my zombie ammo boxes, and I like it... :P

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Biohazard-Vintage-Shoulder-Messenger/dp/B00QHEF...nger+bag+black

This one is my M43 bag. I can carry it on it's own or put it in whatever messenger bag I might be carrying. Again, I've wired mine. To a casual glance it just looks like I've decorated my little bag with beads but in actuality it's a wire mesh cage system I made up to protect my cameras. On the big bag it's internal, but on the small one it's external because there's not enough space for it to go inside. It's a pretty small bag but it does fit all of my M43 lenses and a M43 body pretty well. There is an insert but I never use it. It just takes up too much space and the bag is decently padded otherwise. I debated on this bag for a long time actually. I loved it looks-wise but I thought it would be too small. It would have been for a DSLR set up, for me, but as a M43 bag it works very well. They make a bigger backpack that looks like this in black. One of these days I am going to pick it up I think. I'd like to have it for traveling maybe...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEWXTAS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
04-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #72

I have several bags and backpacks but the ones I usually use now are Tenba messenger and National Geographic 2475 shoulder bag. Both are excellent and I can put a camera body with a large lens like 60-250 attached plus another big lens and a flash and lots of accessories in them. When I want to have the grip with the body, the Tenba offers better fit despite it's smaller size. Other bags in my inventory include Naneupro Alpha, U220 and Tango, Lowepro fastpack 200, Tamrac Zoom 75 and National Geographic 5159. None of them is a disappointment to me and I use them depending on the situation I'm into.
Regards
Soheil

Last edited by saliakbari; 04-18-2015 at 09:57 AM.
05-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #73

I just purchased a pacsafe v12 on sale, and have been using it as everyday bag for the last week. Although it reminds of a lowepro passport sling, it's packed with a number of antitheft features, but I`m not particularly in love with the shoulder strap regulator system since the plastic buckle sits right on my shoulder and no way you can slide it down.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1432557801564.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  4.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1432557847022.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  7.6 KB
06-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had this waist pack forever, and I haven't been able to find anything else that meets my needs better. The lens bags are detachable, held on with loops and Velcro, and the belt contains pockets that will hold a couple of batteries, cards, clips etc. The plastic belt clip has been replaced twice. I can use the waist pack for hiking and I have quick access to camera and lenses. The more recent use of the belt for the capture pro and DA* 300mm has added a bit of a strain and I had to get the belt/bag attachment re-sewn recently. Maybe I should use my leather belt for that. If I found something similar but more robust with a bit more padding for the lenses at a reasonable price I would buy it.

06-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I have had this waist pack forever,
That looks very similar to the (discontinued) Lowepro Off Trail. I have the Off Trail 2 and it looks a bit bigger than the one you have.