Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wrist strap?

So I rarely/never use the neck strap on my current DSLR. It has occasionally come in handy when switching lenses or shooting with multiple cameras, but honestly, I find myself usually just wrapping it around my wrist if anything. So, in light of my soon-to-be K-3 ownership, I was thinking I should get a wrist strap, or something along the lines of a joby ultrafit hand strap, seeing as that is what i'd most likely use. Any thoughts/recs/sage advice?

12-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have had that very same thought and habit pattern...just haven't tried it out yet.
12-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use strap on mine, but I have relatively small and light DSLRs: K30 and KX, so it's fine.
12-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Gordy's strap on my K-01 and it works very well indeed. I find that I use the neck strap generally for my K-5iis but take it off when I use the camera on the monopod so I have a strap with quick detach clips that makes that process easy. They have the added bonus of being able to be cross connected and thereby give a handle across the top of the camera (which is also out of the way when shooting). I do recommend the Gordy though if you want a wrist strap.
Gordy's Wrist strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

12-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Peak Design "Clutch" hand strap. It works well and is more comfortable than some others but it is all personal preference on that end.
It works well for reducing fatigue when holding the camera one-handed through a day's worth of photo sessions.

I don't know if I'd like it, let say for carrying while on vacation in lieu of a neck strap.
A DSLR is pretty heavy to be hanging off your wrist all day.

If it is just as a security device when changing lenses, a neck or wrist strap would be a better choice as it would not limit the mobility of your fingers.
12-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a Joby wrist strap with my K-5 for over a year now in all sorts of conditions, I definitely prefer it over a neck strap. It allows me to keep my camera out of the way until I'm ready to shoot, and since it isn't bulky I can put it in and remove it from the camera case very quickly.

Yes a K-5 is heavy, but I often shoot with a pancake 40mm, so that is not a problem. Also, I am left handed so I have that hand free while hold it worth my right hand. I never let it dangle, even when using a neck strap I had to keep it from swinging anyway.

You could attach the wrist strap to the left side of the camera, if you are right handed, leaving your right hand free until you need to shoot, the wrist strap is long enough that you can still move your left to focus or stabilize a longer lens.

I bought my wrist strap for a very low price, I encourage you to give one a try.
12-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To carry my K-3 i use a Black rapid shoulder camera strap. I find it more comfortable than neck or wrist options. Something like this

Amazon.com : Black Rapid RS-Sport Strap - Slimmer Version with Built-in Underarm Defense : Photographic Equipment Harnesses : Electronics

12-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

A very good place is your local pet store, small dog or cat collars make great wrist straps and there is a large
assortment not expensive.
I use a braided leather choke collar, looks good, strong and won't accidentally slip off. Much Much cheaper
than the same designer ones for cams.
12-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use the Pentax 85101 hand strap with some modifications. I removed the plastic mount that comes with the strap (too loose and well, it's plastic) and replaced it with a Camdapter, Manfroto QR plate (they make them for Arca swiss too). I had to cut the strap to do it, so I also added a few inches to the strap, since it's a little tight for larger hands like mine. I used a sewing machine to stitch the straps back together, so it's stronger than before. It was some work, but it's perfect for my needs.

Here's the strap at B&H:

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1000x1000/640683.jpg

And my modifications:

Last edited by Kendigitize; 02-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
12-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

have you ever tried a shoulder strap? I can't stand neck straps, even with something as light as the Q, but a shoulder strap is quite comfortable. (but maybe not for the q. It doesn't weigh enough to keep from bouncing all over. )

You can always get a wrist strap to supplement it, especially if you use one that connects to the tripod socket.

Op/Tech makes a pretty inexpensive one that seems to me to be comparable in quality to my BlackRapid (at least, once I added a clip and a tripod mount connector to it), and actually more comfortable and less likely to slide around on the shoulder.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling

They also make a fair number of wrist/hand straps, including one that seems pretty comparable to the Joby you mentioned.
12-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I haven't used a neck strap for years. I use wrist straps on all my cameras. I tried a couple of hand straps but I find them awkward to put on and restricting, because the wrist angle is sometimes wrong (e.g. shooting a flower using the LCD screen). Mostly I hate that I can't get my hand free for a second without withdrawing it from the strap. Perhaps the official Pentax version would be an improvement, but I'm not willing to pay the cost to find out, and it would not resolve the problem of not being able to use your hand at all.

I like the freedom of a wrist strap. I only use it as a safety tether, to catch the camera in case of a fall. I occasionally dangle the camera for a short time to free up my hand, but I don't walk with the camera hanging. A DSLR is pretty heavy, I use a messenger bag for carrying. I started out with a deluxe Gordy's strap, and might still be using it now, except that I bought the standard size and it is too small. I don't have large hands for a man, which is why I didn't buy the extended size. Other than size, it's a beautiful strap and well thought out. After a while, the binding thread started to unravel, but I re-stuck it with epoxy glue and it is holding. I also have a Carry Speed wrist strap that came free with the CS-Pro sling. It's OK, but overly large. I wouldn't recommend it, even if Carry Speed hadn't gone out of business.

Last year I decided to hunt for something on eBay and found a couple I thought worth trying. One is quite nice, natural leather, but a bit light for the K-3. It's perfect on my a6000. The other fits my K-3 beautifully, but probably won't last for a long time. It's made like a cheap belt; finished leather on the outside, sewn to rough leather inside. OTOH, it cost like a cheap belt. I can buy two premium quality pure leather belts for the price of a Gordy's strap. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect wrist strap/lanyard, but no rush I'm all set for a few years.
12-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
Banned

I use BlackRapid sling straps and their wrist strap as well. I tried the Pentax Hand Strap, but didn't like that it pretty much makes you one handed since the camera is firmly strapped to your hand.
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I haven't used a neck strap for years. I use wrist straps on all my cameras. I tried a couple of hand straps but I find them awkward to put on and restricting, because the wrist angle is sometimes wrong (e.g. shooting a flower using the LCD screen). Mostly I hate that I can't get my hand free for a second without withdrawing it from the strap. Perhaps the official Pentax version would be an improvement, but I'm not willing to pay the cost to find out, and it would not resolve the problem of not being able to use your hand at all.

I like the freedom of a wrist strap. I only use it as a safety tether, to catch the camera in case of a fall. I occasionally dangle the camera for a short time to free up my hand, but I don't walk with the camera hanging.......
Last year I decided to hunt for something on eBay and found a couple I thought worth trying. One is quite nice, natural leather, but a bit light for the K-3. It's perfect on my a6000. The other fits my K-3 beautifully, but probably won't last for a long time. It's made like a cheap belt; finished leather on the outside, sewn to rough leather inside. OTOH, it cost like a cheap belt. I can buy two premium quality pure leather belts for the price of a Gordy's strap. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect wrist strap/lanyard, but no rush I'm all set for a few years.
My Gordy was $20+shipping. It's a great choice. I too use it like you describe.
12-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I tried the Pentax Hand Strap, but didn't like that it pretty much makes you one handed since the camera is firmly strapped to your hand.
Yea, I learned to become left-handed real quick. With the modifications I made to mine, It's much looser and it goes on and off in a jiffy, but you've got to want a Pentax DSLR on the end of your arm like you were born with it, instead of a hand....... Ok, I'm in
12-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My Gordy was $20+shipping. It's a great choice. I too use it like you describe.
Cost depends on the options. Mine had the $13 wrist pad and some 0-rings, plus I had to pay shipping to Canada (Chinese straps include free shipping). Final cost was around $45.

If I were to re-order I'd want the extra-long strap and quick disconnect system, which is something I added on my own, because I remove the strap for use with a sling, tripod or flash bracket. Split rings are a major pain to attach and remove. The wrist pad is definitely not necessary but it's a nice feature.

No way would I go for any wrist strap with a string attachment. I had an Optex with a string, and my K-x lugs cut through it within a couple of weeks. I like the string attachment method, but I need a chunky piece of leather or nylon, not a thin string.