Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Charging battery in other country

Hello, I am travelling from Canada (110v) to Europe (220v) for one month. Looking at the Battery charger it indicates 100v-240v, but the AC plug cord indicates 125v. Shall I buy another plug cord? Or can I plug my AC plug cord on 220v in Europe? Thanks for your answers.

12-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The current at 240V will be half the current at 110V, and the power is pretty low. I'd be very surprised if the camera battery charger could cause a problem with the cord, and should be designed to work anywhere. Having said that, I'm not a licensed electrician.

In the manual for the K3 it says: "The specified voltage is 110-240 VAC". See page 100. I've used my charger in Japan and Australia without a problem. In Australia the power is 240V while in Japan it's 110-120 V.

Last edited by RobG; 12-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.
12-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A simple adapter will do the trick.

If you are going to stay longer then look for a more permanent cord.

Or you can just buy a pack of Wasabi Batteries from Amazon and they will give you two batteries for the K5/K3, a charger, and a European plug all included. Those little chargers like that come with the Wasabi batteries are easier for travel anyway. I bought 2X packs of 2x Wasabi batteries for a total of 4 batteries and two chargers...

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref=...s=wasabi+dli90

Depending on what you are going to be doing take both chargers so you can charge double fast or just buy a little power strip/surge protector when you get there and you can charge multiple batteries at once.

For $26 bucks you might as well get a couple spare batteries out of the deal.

A plug converter costs about 7 or 8 bucks or less if that's the route you want to go.
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since you will likey be bringing a phone and a computer, maybe a tablet too I would recommend this: Amazon.com: BESTEKŪ Portable charger universal adapter travel converter voltage 220V to 110V + UK/US/AU/EU plug + 4.2A four USB charging port for tablets,iPad,cell phone,iphone,samsung ect. MRJ201GU: Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought one for my trip to Europe a couple weeks ago and it worked great. It has plugs for multiple countries too.

12-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Le Ugim Quote
Hello, I am travelling from Canada (110v) to Europe (220v) for one month. Looking at the Battery charger it indicates 100v-240v, but the AC plug cord indicates 125v. Shall I buy another plug cord? Or can I plug my AC plug cord on 220v in Europe? Thanks for your answers.
The current is going to be so low either way it's not going to make a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
In Australia the power is 240V while in Japan it's 110-120 V.
Japan is 100V. It's either 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on where you are (the divide is East/West around Nagoya).
12-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Since you will likey be bringing a phone and a computer, maybe a tablet too I would recommend this: Amazon.com: BESTEKŪ Portable charger universal adapter travel converter voltage 220V to 110V + UK/US/AU/EU plug + 4.2A four USB charging port for tablets,iPad,cell phone,iphone,samsung ect. MRJ201GU: Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought one for my trip to Europe a couple weeks ago and it worked great. It has plugs for multiple countries too.
I was gonna suggest one of those too. True you will be carrying 'one more thing' in your bag but it will have multiple uses. I still favor those little Wasabi type chargers though for travel. They are just a lot smaller and less cords the better.

I might actually invest in one of those converters Voice of Reason showed us....that plus the little Wasabi chargers and you can charge 3 batteries at once plus phones and whatever. Not too shabby for $40 bucks.
12-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As long as you have the appropriate plug adapter, you'll be able to use the charger/cord without any issues abroad.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As long as you have the appropriate plug adapter, you'll be able to use the charger/cord without any issues aboard.
Abroad. LOL
12-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Japan is 100V. It's either 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on where you are (the divide is East/West around Nagoya).
My thinking it was variable was probably due to typical hotel "shaver only" sockets marked as 120V. Anyway, the charger has a switching power supply so it won't care, and as you mentioned the power is low (I don't have my charger handy to check the rating). Problems are more likely with high power devices like hair dryers etc (which I wouldn't take to another country).
12-07-2014, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The use of a plug adapter to deal with the physical plug and socket differences as well as the current throughput are not the issues here. The real technical question to be answered is whether a cord marked as 125V has robust enough insulation to operate at 240V without risk of arcing through the insulation and posing a risk of electrocution or fire. This a function of the insulation materials used and as well as thickness of insulation material and not a question that can be answered without reference to the tech data sheets of the cable manufacturer (which you are not going to find). But if it marked specifically as 125V, I think the answer is that it is not 240V grade. I would seek out a cable marked as 240V compliant. Most adapters use a generic figure eight plug input, so finding a suitable cord shouldn't be difficult (the OP may well have something lying about the house from another appliance). If it is a proprietary plug input, then that's a problem that would need another solution (like a step down transforner to 110/120V).

If buying stuff off the Internet, be cautious of mains powered appliances not properly certified by your country's electrical regulatory body. We had a recent example here in Australia of a person who died using a internet sourced charger for her mobile phone. Was faulty and let 240V pass through to her phone, with tragic consequences.
12-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There will be no problems at all but it is depending in which country you are traveling... Switzerland has different plug as Germany. Also UK has also different plug than Germany or Switzerland. The best bet is get those simple travel outlet adapters prior traveling and you will be fine. The charger itself will be working as long you will be able to connect the cord to actual outlet. While in Canada they have travel adapters that match foreign countries outlets. In Europe they are difficult to find but they have adapters for their cords to US/Canada outlets and this is the reason that is better to get them here (way cheaper and available). Always vice versa...
12-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

How about Israel?
12-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
The real technical question to be answered is whether a cord marked as 125V has robust enough insulation to operate at 240V without risk of arcing through the insulation and posing a risk of electrocution or fire. This a function of the insulation materials used and as well as thickness of insulation material and not a question that can be answered without reference to the tech data sheets of the cable manufacturer (which you are not going to find)
The AC power lead on my D-AC50 is embossed on the insulation as 60°C 300v with a gauge of 18AWG. The power converter itself lists an input of 0.43-0.21A.
12-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #14

Listen to southlander. As others stated current in normal use should be lower. But if they saved on the insulation of the cable, 240V can become dangerous. A fitting cable should be inexpensive. You could probably get one with a EU plug (CEE 7/16) already on it.
12-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Voltage can't kill you but the current yes. Insulation in regards of voltage??? I was holding a cable with high voltage in my hands without any insulation and nothing happens but the electrical current was so low that can't due any harm... Do not worry about cable as they have enough insulation for the electrical current (Ampere or mAmp) should be the same rating in Europe or here.