Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Focusing Rail

Hi!

I'm finding the need for a focusing rail in my macro work. Any recommendations?
I know this is a "you get what you pay for" scenario, but has any had good results from something that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks!

Scott

12-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of magnification and step size between exposures? I'm using a micro rail from Hejnar, but his stuff is in a similar price range to Really Right Stuff, i.e., expensive. For lower magnification I find a bellows works quite well, moving the rear standard between shots.
12-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I moved this to the Assy & Field subforum.
12-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked at some really inexpensive ones at a camera store about 5 years ago. I thought I would bend them out of shape very quickly, so waited until I had enough money to buy one from RRS. It's heavier than I would like, but it looks pretty indestructible, and I figured at it would save me money in the long run, if the ones I looked at were as flimsy as I thought they were. They were around $100 (or a little less) so all I'd have to do is replace them a couple of times and I'd spend as much as I did on the RRS one I got (I don't remember how much I paid for the one I got now, my husband gave it to me for Christmas one year).

If you can see some of the cheaper ones in a camera store, it would help you decide whether they are worth the money or not. I suspect there may be some decent deals out there, I just don't know which ones they might be.

12-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use one of those cheap ones off ebay 4 way adjustable. Use it a couple of times a year. Serves the purpose fine.
12-09-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Manfrotto do one, ie., Manfrotto 454 focusing rail.

Regards.