Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
studio bags?

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of shoots lately where I'm bringing the whole lighting kit. Mostly because I don't have my own studio anymore (home studio got turned into a nursery) and the rent of the place I was using has gone up 40%! So I now have to haul my lighting kit from place to place depending on what I'm shooting. This is becoming increasingly inconvenient because I got my back pack for my camera, a bag for my light stands, bag for my soft boxes, another bag for my lights, my tripod (loose), my tablet/laptop and cables in another bag, reflectors in another bag, portable battery packs, and sometimes even my lastolite hilite backdrop.

What I'm looking for is one bag, roller style, that I can fit the majority of my lighting stuff into...

3 light stands (one of which is a boom stand)
Tripod
2 Elincrhom Dlite heads (smallish sized flash heads)
2 Strobepro Battery packs
cables
reflector discs
softboxes (100mm Octa, 100mm strip, 60mm square)
3 flashguns
other small accessories (fit nicely in a little softcase about the size of the box a 50mm lens comes in)
laptop/tablet

budget is about $600 CAD, and it must fit in the hatch of a VW Golf without folding the seats down. Don't think I'll have an issue with that in all honesty.

Should be easy to find one hey? No!!! because no one stocks such a thing!!! 12 specialty camera stores in my small city and not one place regularly stocks anything bigger than a rolling backpack. So no light stands. So unfortunately I need to special order, which mean spending money on a bag that may not actually work for me. I prefer to shop local, but will buy from any CANADIAN dealer. Will not buy from outside of country due to the simple fact that returns cross border are a pain in the tush and I just don't want to deal with that.

Any ideas?

12-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Home Depot might have a rolling toolbox that will work for hauling the gear around. I could gave sworn I saw one there that was as tall as a large tooling suitcase but hard reinforced plastic. The one I think I saw was around $100.
12-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got one similar to this design Impact Light Kit Bag (34 x 13.5 x 12") A4236 B&H Photo but closer to this size and build strength Manfrotto Pro-Light Rolling Lighting Gear Organizer MB PL-LW-99 at Calumet for under US$200 on sale back when they had all their stores open. It works well. Not sure exactly where to find a similar value today.

I like the way my case has a divider (like the Impact) that goes on top of the bottom section which contains the strobes, reflectors, and all, and allows you to put your light stands on top.
12-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use two bags. One is an "On Stage" long padded case for music equipment, it is perfect for studio stands and the like. About 25$ on Amazon, and it can take equipment as long as 4 feet (my boom arm is that long). I think it's this one:

On-Stage Stands - SSB6500 - On-Stage Stands

The second is a rolling padded rectangle case that I got from work (a surplus). I got an insert and some dividers and it can carry my 4 flashes, camera and several lenses, plus all the odds and ends (folded reflector, clamps, gobos, gels, batteries, you name it). It looks something like this, with large pockets on both sides and one at the front:

Backdrops are carried in their bags, though my smaller 10x12 backdrop can be placed in my rolling case.