Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You do have to have everything within reach to act quickly, Mark. IIRC there are fishing Hobies that also have pedal-power to let anglers hold their position against wind/current, spin around, etc.

Last edited by clackers; 12-11-2014 at 12:52 AM.
12-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, one of the guys at work here keeps telling me I have to get a Hobie. Those will set you back a pretty penny though!!
12-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I live near a lake and look yearningly at the flocks of various birds far from shore, the nesting areas far from human habitation, etc. Does anyone have experience with a kayak as a platform for photography? They are small, light, but some of them are prone to tipping over. I'm considering a short, 13ft with a wide beam, 26". Any suggestions?
I was going to make the same point as Blackcloudbrew....even if you stop paddling, the kayak still slides through the water for a while...like for yards...

Three other mini-challenges are waves (even small ones move the boat), trying manage the paddle and the camera at the same time (don't want to lose either one) and avoiding wide lenses cuz you get the bow of the kayak in every photo (though that can be a nice effect)

Having said all that, you get some great vantages usually enough serenity to see you through the day.

I have a Swift Adirondack 12 footer which is wide and stable. Haven't yet been bold enough to take out my K5 and telephoto lenses, but I almost always have my WGIII clipped to my PFD.

Happy paddles!
12-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a wilderness systems pamlico 145 tandom kayak.

The 145 refers to 14.5 feet long. It is a recreational kayak, which means it has a large opening, not a keyhole opening, being a tandom, the cockpit opening is about 6 feet long.

The large tandom opening makes for relative ease of access to gear , but leaves you a little exposed to getting swamped. What I like is that this boat has the front seat on a slide,meaning you can position it in the middle and be balanced for solo operation, but in a boat with a really big cockpit opening.

The boat tracks well without a rudder, (after some practice) and being a tandom recreational boat is quite wide so stability is much better than a sea kayak. I have also, on vacation gone out on sit on top boats and also 12 foot solo boats. I don't like sit on ts personally.

Take a good sized dry bag, and keep it closed. Open, it is just something that holds water, and wrecks anything in side. I learned the hard way with my *istD. Got caught sideways on a rock, and the pressure wave on the upstream side forced water up android ver the side, into the dry bag. It took 4 hours to dry the *istD out, lens off battery out and all covers open, but it survived and i still use it to this day (got soaked in August 2004)

I have not looked at clamps or mounts, but shoot with a fast 400 hand held and rely on IS. It works.

I am considering some form of mount to take my 200-500/5.6 plus a TC out but have nothing concrete yet.

As for speed. Even a recreational solo can be paddled for sustained periods (1-2 hours) at a speed of about 6 kph, (I've done it every day for a week before for 2 hours at a time) where as a canoe you are lucky tandom to get 3 kph sustained speed

The thing that made me get widower ness systems boats (actually have 2 of them and used both with wife and kids for family outings, but now just wife and I one solo in each boat) is the seating. At the time, wilderness systems had the best by far seating. Seat bottom has adjustable slope, backrest is adjustable in both height and slope, all from within the boat. Seat comfort is everything (almost)

You should also get foot rests, they are essential for directional stability because they allow you to transfer your force from paddling to either side of the boat, and help with technique, and tracking straight lines

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 12-11-2014 at 04:48 PM.
12-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never did anything but white water kayaking and we pulled in and setup on the rocks for our shooting. Seems boats have gotten much better since the 80s . Great thread.
12-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I run an Elie Gulf 120XL (12 ft sit on top fishing yak, paddle not pedal), in the waters of Puget Sound. Nice and stable for fishing and clicking. If I am taking my compact (Oly XZ-1), I will either put it in its dive housing and just clip the leash to the boat. The camera housing just sits out on the deck in that case. If the weather's nice, I often just take the compact without housing and keep it in the hull compartment with my snacks and stuff. Take it out when I want to shoot, just accepting the possibility of a dunking.

If I take the K-30 out, which I've only done a couple of times so far, I keep it in a sealed dry-bag, clipped to the boat of course. When shooting, the camera comes out, and then back in the bag when it's time to paddle some more. I trust the WR for minor splash protection, but not immersion in salt water...

There's an active kayak fishing community out here - the hardcore guys favor the Hobies with the Mirage drive, they can pedal and fish hands-free. Way too high for my budget though... There's also the option of the Native Watercraft Propel boats, which use a drive system with a pedal-driven propeller instead of flapping fins like the Mirage drive. The advantage to that one is that you can pedal in reverse to back up or apply the brakes :-) Again, pricey... Me, I just paddle and count it as an upper-body workout!

Find a kayak shop in your area and talk to them about what you want to do, then try out some boats and see what's best for you. Then get out there a few times and practice the basics before attempting the camera.

Then, have fun! It's the best way I can think of to get my brain unwound and relaxed... Here are links to a couple of sample shots from my boat https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/2163-roxndox/albums/4461-olympus-...cture61536.jpg from the Oly, and http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/122/0/f/paddleboarders_by_roxndox-d7gv3zx.jpg from the K-30(18-135)

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 12-12-2014 at 12:36 PM.
12-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Derek,

I just saw this post. I ran into a photographer this fall who seems to be using just what you are looking for. He has a lot of confidence in it because he is using the new Canon 200-400mm F4.0 with the built-in 1.4x extender and they are about 12K and he did not appear to crazy. I have attached an article he did.

Have a good one!

Murray

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I live near a lake and look yearningly at the flocks of various birds far from shore, the nesting areas far from human habitation, etc. Does anyone have experience with a kayak as a platform for photography? They are small, light, but some of them are prone to tipping over. I'm considering a short, 13ft with a wide beam, 26". Any suggestions?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Floating with Bears-Pique_News_SM.pdf (549.7 KB, 71 views)
12-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Hello .... a photographer mostly landscape

I am not strictly a Pentax photographer. I bought a dear friend a K-5 as a gift a few years ago and occasionally shoot with another friend's K-5 and K-7 on hiking outings.

I am, however, very interested in the 645Z which strikes me as the sweetest thing since sliced bread in the medium format world. I will be watching closely to see what other people's experience with this camera is like, as at some point I want to jump to MF if I can find a good wide angle tilt shift lens. (And yes there is the Schneider 30mm, but I want something just a wee bit wider.)

That's about it.

---------- Post added 12-15-14 at 04:54 PM ----------

What can I say, I had an accident while canoeing when my dry bag seal did not hold on a tip-over while approaching a portage in current.

The casualty was a D3x, a Metz Flash, a 24-70 f2.8 - write-offs.

I was fortunate to have an insurer who covered it, for which I am eternally grateful.

Take forward lesson No 1. -- Pelican, Pelican, Pelican!
Take forward lesson No 2. - don't take it out of the Pelican unless it can take the water, or you can afford to lose it, or it is in a waterproof container.
Take forward lesson No 3. - insure the gear, and make sure the insurer will cover over water events.

If you do not take into account these lessons, woe be unto you, you poor sod.

Thus ends the lesson.
12-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dead_Duck_Society Quote
I am not strictly a Pentax photographer. I bought a dear friend a K-5 as a gift a few years ago and occasionally shoot with another friend's K-5 and K-7 on hiking outings.

I am, however, very interested in the 645Z which strikes me as the sweetest thing since sliced bread in the medium format world. I will be watching closely to see what other people's experience with this camera is like, as at some point I want to jump to MF if I can find a good wide angle tilt shift lens. (And yes there is the Schneider 30mm, but I want something just a wee bit wider.)

That's about it.

---------- Post added 12-15-14 at 04:54 PM ----------

What can I say, I had an accident while canoeing when my dry bag seal did not hold on a tip-over while approaching a portage in current.

The casualty was a D3x, a Metz Flash, a 24-70 f2.8 - write-offs.

I was fortunate to have an insurer who covered it, for which I am eternally grateful.

Take forward lesson No 1. -- Pelican, Pelican, Pelican!
Take forward lesson No 2. - don't take it out of the Pelican unless it can take the water, or you can afford to lose it, or it is in a waterproof container.
Take forward lesson No 3. - insure the gear, and make sure the insurer will cover over water events.

If you do not take into account these lessons, woe be unto you, you poor sod.

Thus ends the lesson.
Welcome aboard.
12-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll offer an alternative solution, go old-school with film.

When in my Pittarak I use a Nikonos 5, which is waterproof to around 50m.
I then have the lab scan when they process the film, so I get digital files.
12-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I am currently using an Old Town Otter as my photography and pretty much general, all purpose kayak. They are fairly wide and stable. Mine is 9 1/2 feet long and that makes it very easy to maneuver narrow channels in marshy areas. I also fish out of it although the cockpit is a bit cramped. I use a telescoping monopod which closes up short enough to be usable in the kayak's seat. My next kayak will be a Native Ultimate. It's built with fishermen in mind but that stability also works well for photography. The Old Town is cheap and minimalist but works. The Native is bigger, a cross between a guide boat and a kayak and a much more comfortable platform. The only reason I didn't buy one this year was my investment in a new Sigma 150-500.
Application
12-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard.
Thank-you.
01-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #28

You might also consider an inflatable kayak. I have used them on whitewater trips for years, with a Pelican case containing photo or video gear. They are a lot easier to store and haul than hard shell boats (which I also have), and they are very stable. Two brands I have owned are Pack Cat and Aire. In over 20 years I have yet to puncture one.
01-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I keep checking Craigslist hoping for a modular kayak to show up. I might buy new but no store within an hour drive stocks them, and it is too expensive to risk buying unseen.

Modular - Point 65n
01-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #30

I just picked up a new Hobie Revolution 11' kayak. I also go the outriggers for more stability. I'll let you know how it works with my k-5iis + 300mm + 1.4 TC after I get some time on the water.