Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Gitzo Tropods....If they are the best why cant I find Parts ?

Im really irritated right now.
I have spent over 1400 bucks in the last 5 years on Gitzo tripods.
I bought a Carbon fiber as my last purchase and after 1 year the leg came unglued from the mount. Then the older Studex Performance started slipping leg sections , Now today the Reporter Gilux does the same , and last but not least my Monopd develops a crack in the carbon right where it goes into the mount.
Ok....so where do I get parts ?
Ive e-mailed the Manfrotto division and either NO response (after trying to contact Gitzo multiple times in 4 years) or a response with a link that doesnt take me anywhere ?
They have a snobbish attitude , and NEVER give me a straight answer.
The Email today made me furious as what they said was they were known by all the Companies they own and listed the names !
Ok....so for the BEST tripods they claim to make , why cant they provide parts or service ?
I have sent over 20 Emails and probably double that in calls in 4 years or so.
I managed to swap out several bushing parts and get one tripod funtioning properly.
I also managed today to order parts for the Reporter off some unknown man on E-Bay.
Never EVER will I buy another GITZO new or used....they care less about their customers.
I want to hear if this is a common problem with these snobs ?
Im almost tempted to post their email response.....after telling me my case is closed and listed the companies they own ...... that did it !
Gitzo wesite refers customers to CRIS in Arizona , but CRIS doesnt do the repairs and refers you back to Manfrotto....Manfrotto wont respond with anything worthy of repeating via email , and when you call....NOBODY EVER calls back !
Its an endless loop of crap.........and Im done with their crap !
Gitzo is the BEST allright ! The BEST at getting peoples money and providing the BEST Avoidance for paying customers.....all with a snobbish , condescending attitude !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-09-2014 at 09:14 AM.
12-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few questions:
  • Are you the original owner of the products you listed? If so, are you saying that Manfrotto is refusing you warranty service?
  • Are you you saying that they do not have parts for legacy products?
  • Are you saying that you received warranty service, but are not satisfied with the remedy?
  • Are you saying that their post-sale support sucks?

Steve
12-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran into a problem with a Manfrotto monopod once and dealt directly with the seller, not the manufacturer.
The monopod was replaced, no questions asked.

Hasn't the OP used a "reseller/retailer" of some sort ? J
Just curious to see what type of purchase(s) was involved: through a retailer or direct with Manfrotto ?

JP
12-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reporter Gilux Performance was old stock/used 1 year ago
The Studex was used 2 years ago
The $700 carbon fiber was brand new 4 years ago
The $300 Monopod was brand new 2 years ago
They directly refer you to CRIS repairs in Arizona.....but CRIS refers you back to Manfrotto owned by Vitec which also now owns Gitzo !
I added to my original post and I cannot get warranty/Parts service.........this has been going on for 4 years now.
I have called Manfrotto and they NEVER call back. The best I get is a Email stating my notice will be responded to.....and it NEVER is except with some canned/form response about Vitec being best and a list of all the companies , dead links , etc......unreal !

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A few questions:
  • Are you the original owner of the products you listed? If so, are you saying that Manfrotto is refusing you warranty service?
  • Are you you saying that they do not have parts for legacy products?
  • Are you saying that you received warranty service, but are not satisfied with the remedy?
  • Are you saying that their post-sale support sucks?

Steve
Yes to all of the above ! Except I cant get warranty service at all.

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I ran into a problem with a Manfrotto monopod once and dealt directly with the seller, not the manufacturer.
The monopod was replaced, no questions asked.

Hasn't the OP used a "reseller/retailer" of some sort ? J
Just curious to see what type of purchase(s) was involved: through a retailer or direct with Manfrotto ?

JP
The retailer is out of business on one , and the other was through Tri-State Camera on Ebay and they say send it for repairs at Manfrotto......Manfrotto wont respond after 2 dozen emails and calls.

12-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A member asked if you were the original owner of these, and you replied "yes". However, the first two items, you said are "used"; this is a little confusing. As to warranty service, it looks like these items may be out of the time limit, for warranty.
12-09-2014, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think the OP is looking for warranty service, he just wants parts, and regardless he deserves a response, not a run-around. I was looking pretty hard at Gitzo for a new tripod, but maybe I'll go with Vanguard instead.
12-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Berlebach wood tripods are made like a brick s-house.

12-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #8

Many years ago I needed parts for my Bogen (Manfrotto) tripod. I got no response calling or faxing (email wasn't an option at the time). The parts weren't critical so I shelved it. A few years later I tried again this time with an email address and got an immediate response. It took a little back and forth to identify exactly which legs and head I had as Bogen sold them in various combinations with Model numbers that had little relation to model number of either the legs or head. Not to mention the head had several revisions. A phone call later to order the parts I had what I needed.

Manfrotto is no longer under Bogen and they no longer sell parts for my tirpod and head (bought in the early-mid 80s) except mounting plates and replacements for the spirit levels.

This is a good source for Gitzo and Manfrotto parts, especially for legacy models.
https://www.gitzospares.com/index.php?route=information/identify_part&curren...FRWVfgodlD0ACw

You should be able to get current parts for Gitzo direct from Gitzo:
http://www.gitzo.com/service/service+%26+repair/?f=s&v=gilux&x=0&y=0
12-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
A member asked if you were the original owner of these, and you replied "yes". However, the first two items, you said are "used"; this is a little confusing. As to warranty service, it looks like these items may be out of the time limit, for warranty.
2 items used...2 items new purchased by me.
It shouldnt matter if anything is out of warranty...Gitzo advertises they are the best. The CF tripod is still under warranty I believe as is the monopod......but where to send/contact.
Go on their site....you get referred to CRIS....Chris refers you to Manfrotto.

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

This is a good source for Gitzo and Manfrotto parts, especially for legacy models.
https://www.gitzospares.com/index.php?route=information/identify_part&curren...FRWVfgodlD0ACw

You should be able to get current parts for Gitzo direct from Gitzo:
Service & Repair - service & repair | Gitzo
OK...the first link I may be getting somewhere on the Gilux models......Thanks !
But if I have to go yet once again with the second link I wont even bother. The second one is where nothing is available , and emailing does nothing except for canned responses. The second link is where I get referred to CRIS and CRIS referrs me to Manfrotto for warranty. I dont remember if it was the Mono or Tripod , but one of them came with a 5 or 7 year warranty and here I sit .
I just bought 2 Slik Pro tripod legs #500 and #700 for $189 shipped to keep my BP from boiling over and have a bit of Happy Happy !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-09-2014 at 10:41 AM.
12-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you decide to switch, Really Right Stuff tripods are at least as good or better than any out there and they always answer the phone, have parts and value your business.
12-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the latest link Vitek sent me when I inquired about parts and warranty for the CF models.
I tried to post three of the latest emails but cant do it on here ???
Link they sent..... Issue Resolved/Feedback Page - Vitec Group Italy
The email wasnt sent to Vitek or whatever....it was sent to Gitzosupport at the email listed on the above link (lower link on Post above) for parts and service......the endless loop !
My inquiry is once again marked as closed !
Now I would say this is unacceptable in every manner.

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
If you decide to switch, Really Right Stuff tripods are at least as good or better than any out there and they always answer the phone, have parts and value your business.
I know....I have some Reversing macro adapters and special boom they sold years ago.....and some custom QR brackets for Cannon film cameras. Didnt even know they sold tripods.
I thought when I bought the Gitzo's they would be the last I would ever buy.
I would give anything for my old Manfrotto's back...... Big , bulky , and ugly. But parts are everywhere.
12-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Here is the latest link Vitek sent me when I inquired about parts and warranty for the CF models.
I tried to post three of the latest emails but cant do it on here ???
Link they sent..... Issue Resolved/Feedback Page - Vitec Group Italy
The email wasnt sent to Vitek or whatever....it was sent to Gitzosupport at the email listed on the above link (lower link on Post above) for parts and service......the endless loop !
My inquiry is once again marked as closed !
"Solution
we need more information
please contact us at 201 818 9500 ext 245
"

So, did you?
12-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
"Solution
we need more information
please contact us at 201 818 9500 ext 245
"

So, did you?
Yes ! I filled that form out 3 times.......nothing is ever done. I called that number and its always the same.....someone will get back to me.
I have sent multiple responses very detailed.....I mean how hard is it for them to simply tell me where to send the 2 for repair.....or to forward me to a parts ordering site that works ?
Im telling you.....I got nowhere in the past , and am getting nowhere now.
All I get is the damn quality questionaire , or a response that someone will be contacting me.......thats it !!!!
I want to hear from someone....anyone..... that has used the linked site above and recieved repairs/parts ???

I have called that number so many times. Usually they say its busy and to leave a message which I have done at least 10-12 times. Twice I actually got someone that took all my info and said someone would be contacting me soon.....it never happens.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-09-2014 at 02:05 PM.
12-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Yes ! I filled that form out 3 times.......nothing is ever done. I called that number and its always the same.....someone will get back to me.
I have sent multiple responses very detailed.....I mean how hard is it for them to simply tell me where to send the 2 for repair.....or to forward me to a parts ordering site that works ?
Im telling you.....I got nowhere in the past , and am getting nowhere now.
All I get is the damn quality questionaire , or a response that someone will be contacting me.......thats it !!!!
I want to hear from someone....anyone..... that has used the linked site above and recieved repairs/parts ???

I have called that number so many times. Usually they say its busy and to leave a message which I have done at least 10-12 times. Twice I actually got someone that took all my info and said someone would be contacting me soon.....it never happens.
Hi,

I know that this will be of no consolation to you but here in Australia I rebuilt a Manfrotto 075 tripod and the importer of Gitzo and Manfrotto into Australia was very helpful in sourcing the parts that I required. The tripod was made in the early 1990's which we established from the serial number. For anyone in Australia their name is Adeal and their phone number is (03) 8369 4444. They will sell you parts but from my experience not complete units as they are wholesalers.

Regards.
12-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I know that this will be of no consolation to you but here in Australia I rebuilt a Manfrotto 075 tripod and the importer of Gitzo and Manfrotto into Australia was very helpful in sourcing the parts that I required. The tripod was made in the early 1990's which we established from the serial number. For anyone in Australia their name is Adeal and their phone number is (03) 8369 4444. They will sell you parts but from my experience not complete units as they are wholesalers.

Regards.
Thanks.
This fiasco started close to 4 years ago. I went for about 3 months trying to get service on the CF series III ......I couldnt get anywhere at all so I gave up.
Then the monopod started splitting and I just quit using it.
I had 2 other very usable Vintage Gitzos so resorted to those for a couple years until the leg bushings began to fail.......Now Im back on the bus trying once again to deal with all this.
I know back a few years or so that Gitzo went through changes and Manfrotto somehow got involved through a Giant corporation called Vitek....or something like that.
They now have an actual website that looks good on the surface , but goes nowhere.
Today I see on other forums Im not alone on this either.