Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Two main reasons. The 8689 is 3x as expensive and has a studio foot not a spike. Also, fewer sections means sturdier in my experience when they're roughly the same total length.
Thanks. I ordered one.

01-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Thanks. I ordered one.
Hope you like it as much as I do.
01-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The extra foot of length alone will make a big difference.

Just slightly OT, but do others here use SR with a monopod that is long enough not to be awkward? With the 61" Manfrotto, I often felt I still needed it at 300mm.
01-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hope you like it as much as I do.
I received mine a week ago. It is definitely a different animal from the compact Manfrotto--about twice the folded length and diameter, and a good deal more weight. However, it is far more stable, especially at my height. I may still use the Manfrotto for some light hiking with a compact camera, but the Giottos is definitely superior for any other use. It is stable enough to make shake reduction a minus rather than a plus.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-24-2015 at 03:53 PM.
01-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I received mine a week ago. It is definitely a different animal from the compact Manfrotto--about twice the folded length and diameter, and a good deal more weight. However, it is fare more stable, especially at my height. I may still use the Manfrotto still for some light hiking with a compact camera, but the Giottos is definitely superior for any other use. It is stable enough to make shake reduction a minus rather than a plus.

My impressions as well. Enjoy!
09-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm 6'8" or 203 cm. I just got a Feisol CM-1471

with a Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head and a battery grip on my K5-iis it is barely tall enough in landscape and if I rotate the ball head over for portrait it is short.

I have added a Manfrotto 3229 tilt head on top of the 496RC2 and now when I turn it over into portrait it is just barely tall enough.

so yes, I have 2 heads stacked which has made it heavier than usual but I have tons of adjustability and it is taller.

BTW if you put just the 3229 on the top of the Feisol you can't get the camera over 90 degrees the camera hits the top stage plate of the monopod which is quite large in diameter. It works fine with the ball head solo