Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, lets try another way - Monopod for Tall Person?

I'm looking for a new monopod. I'm 6"3' and will be using either my Tamron 70-200/2.8 or my Sigma 150-500 on my K-5iis + Grip for shooting mostly soccer. Max weight would be around 6.56lbs for the Sigma combination.
  • Not treking with it so weight isn't a big factor for me.
  • Would like a retracting spike but not essential.
  • Am not going to spend more than $125.
  • Needs to have 1/4 & 3/8th available natively.
  • Since I'm not traveling with it minimum height is not a big issue either, but
  • Would prefer that it store easily as my 2 section VersiPod 2 is a pain to store at 43in when "collapsed".
Below is what I've come up with between Amazon, B&H, and Adorama for likely candidates. The Gittos MM9780 seems the most likely candidate and has the added benefit of costing $56. All heights are in inches as I'm in the US. Your thoughts and experiences are welcome. Thanks.

Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-28-2014 at 04:34 AM.
12-14-2014, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How about the "Vanguard carbon fibre monopod" ?? I think it's very good, add a grip Ball and you're set/ 1.17 pounds , Folded:22&1/2 inches. Max wt load 22# cost: about $100.00
12-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoramone Quote
How about the "Vanguard carbon fibre monopod" ?? I think it's very good, add a grip Ball and you're set/ 1.17 pounds , Folded:22&1/2 inches. Max wt load 22# cost: about $100.00
Thanks, I saw it on B&H for $90 but since it only has one attachment size (nearly all the other Monopods have both sizes onboard) I didn't include it in the spread because it really requires a head unless you change out the 1/4in stud to an 1/8th.
12-14-2014, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Feisol CM-1471 CF 4 section monopod. It's very well made and about 2 ft long collapsed with a Manfrotto swivel head attached. It has both a half round rubber foot and a replaceable spike foot. When extended it stands above eye level and I'm 74 in. It also came with its own carry sack with shoulder strap. It works well with the K20D + grip + Sigma 100-300 f/4 I was shooting with at the time I bought it. I keep the foot between my feet when shooting. The only problem for me is moving around as I either trip over it or stick the end up someone's tuckus.

12-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I have the Feisol CM-1471 CF 4 section monopod. It's very well made and about 2 ft long collapsed with a Manfrotto swivel head attached. It has both a half round rubber foot and a replaceable spike foot. When extended it stands above eye level and I'm 74 in. It also came with its own carry sack with shoulder strap. It works well with the K20D + grip + Sigma 100-300 f/4 I was shooting with at the time I bought it. I keep the foot between my feet when shooting. The only problem for me is moving around as I either trip over it or stick the end up someone's tuckus.
Thanks. The foot on it is different than the info I got from Amazon, so I appreciate the clarification. The spike is a plus for outdoor shooting in my experience.
12-14-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine direct from Feisol before they were available in the US stores. I don't know how they're configured now. I see that B&H have a set of three monopod feet (I think that's either an oxymoron or superfluous) from Feisol for $15. They look different than the one I have.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 12-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.
12-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I got mine direct from Feisol before they were available in the US stores. I don't know how they're configured now. I see that B&H have a set of three monopod feet (I think that's either an oxymoron or superfluous) from Feisol for $15. They look different than the one I have.
Thanks again, I'm looking at those now.

12-14-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #8

Check into the TrekPod from Trek-Tech

I bought something called a TrekPod II some years ago and have used it as a "walking stick", monopod and tripod. I'm 6'4", so I understand having trouble finding things that are for people of slightly-above-average height. I thought I wouldn't need to worry about traveling with it, but had a situation come up in August where I regretted it. I flew from the midwest to LA to bring my son and his car back home. The plan was to hit several scenic places on the way home. I couldn't break down the TrekPod small enough to fit in my luggage for the plane trip out to LA, and the TSA would have considered it a potential weapon, so I couldn't just carry it on (yes I talked to both the airline AND the TSA to make sure).

The TrekPod extends to about 5 feet, when used as a monopod or walking stick, but about 5" less when set up as a tripod. It has a very strong magnet on the top to which you can attach a camera. They even give you a couple of the round "couplers" that you screw onto the bottom of the camera and attach to the magnet. (Note, the TrekPod has a clip to anchor the camera to the top of it, so you don't need to trust the magnet to hold the camera all by itself ). I put one adaptor on my still camera and the other on the video camera. I took the TrekPod and my video camera along on a (car) tour of the Dakotas, Montana, Yellowstone, the Tetons and Idaho a couple of years ago and was VERY glad I had it. It allowed me to raise the camera over heads, dip it (carefully) over the edge of waterfalls, and take some "selfies", since I made the trip by myself.

The major reason I got it was for it's flexibility to be used as 3 different things. The biggest benefit was how it stabilized the camera for video. It hung down far enough below the camera to act like a pendulum of sorts, and giving you a quasi pistol grip feel. That extra weight and natural resistance to moving around so much made my videos much less jumpy and easier to watch, (though I did kick it a fair amount due to it hanging down below the camera). It weighs a little less than 2 pounds, but extra heft isn't a bad thing if you plan to use it as a monopod. I just checked their website and see that they have two newer models since I bought mine. The expensive one is made of carbon fiber and costs well over 3x as much as the one I have, which is aluminum. They also have a "GoPro" version that shrinks down 4" shorter than mine, which WOULD make it small enough to fit in most luggage. It costs about double what mine did. You can save some by buying it from Amazon. Here are the specs for each type from their website:

Specifications:

Weight (including MagMount):
TrekPod Go! PRO= 30 ounces / .794 kg
TrekPod XL= 17 ounces / .48 kg
TrekPod II= 27 ounces / .765 kg

Height range in tripod mode:
TrekPod Go! PRO= 39" to 57.5" / 99 to 146 cm
TrekPod XL= 39" to 57.5" / 99 to 146 cm
TrekPod II= 43" to 57.5" / 109 cm to 146 cm

Height range in Hiking staff/monopod mode:
TrekPod Go! PRO= 42.5" to 62.5" / 106.7 cm to 158.8 cm
TrekPod XL= 42.5" to 62.5" / 106.7 cm to 158.8 cm
TrekPod II= 47" to 62.5" / 119 cm to 158.8cm

Packable size:
Go! PRO in travel case: 23" x 4" x 2.5" / 58.4 x 10.2 x 6.3 cm (longest Go! tube length ~22" / 55.9 cm)
XL in included travel case: 23" x 4" x 2.5" / 58.4 x 10.2 x 6.3 cm (longest XL tube length ~22" / 55.9 cm)
TrekPod II (disassembled): Two components, approximately 35.5" / 90 cm or less, each.

Open Leg Diameter (tripod): 22" / 56 cm

I hope that helps.
12-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GridUser Quote
I bought something called a TrekPod II some years ago and have used it as a "walking stick", monopod and tripod. I'm 6'4", so I understand having trouble finding things that are for people of slightly-above-average height. I thought I wouldn't need to worry about traveling with it, but had a situation come up in August where I regretted it. I flew from the midwest to LA to bring my son and his car back home. The plan was to hit several scenic places on the way home. I couldn't break down the TrekPod small enough to fit in my luggage for the plane trip out to LA, and the TSA would have considered it a potential weapon, so I couldn't just carry it on (yes I talked to both the airline AND the TSA to make sure).

The TrekPod extends to about 5 feet, when used as a monopod or walking stick, but about 5" less when set up as a tripod. It has a very strong magnet on the top to which you can attach a camera. They even give you a couple of the round "couplers" that you screw onto the bottom of the camera and attach to the magnet. (Note, the TrekPod has a clip to anchor the camera to the top of it, so you don't need to trust the magnet to hold the camera all by itself ). I put one adaptor on my still camera and the other on the video camera. I took the TrekPod and my video camera along on a (car) tour of the Dakotas, Montana, Yellowstone, the Tetons and Idaho a couple of years ago and was VERY glad I had it. It allowed me to raise the camera over heads, dip it (carefully) over the edge of waterfalls, and take some "selfies", since I made the trip by myself.

The major reason I got it was for it's flexibility to be used as 3 different things. The biggest benefit was how it stabilized the camera for video. It hung down far enough below the camera to act like a pendulum of sorts, and giving you a quasi pistol grip feel. That extra weight and natural resistance to moving around so much made my videos much less jumpy and easier to watch, (though I did kick it a fair amount due to it hanging down below the camera). It weighs a little less than 2 pounds, but extra heft isn't a bad thing if you plan to use it as a monopod. I just checked their website and see that they have two newer models since I bought mine. The expensive one is made of carbon fiber and costs well over 3x as much as the one I have, which is aluminum. They also have a "GoPro" version that shrinks down 4" shorter than mine, which WOULD make it small enough to fit in most luggage. It costs about double what mine did. You can save some by buying it from Amazon. Here are the specs for each type from their website:

Specifications:

Weight (including MagMount):
TrekPod Go! PRO= 30 ounces / .794 kg
TrekPod XL= 17 ounces / .48 kg
TrekPod II= 27 ounces / .765 kg

Height range in tripod mode:
TrekPod Go! PRO= 39" to 57.5" / 99 to 146 cm
TrekPod XL= 39" to 57.5" / 99 to 146 cm
TrekPod II= 43" to 57.5" / 109 cm to 146 cm

Height range in Hiking staff/monopod mode:
TrekPod Go! PRO= 42.5" to 62.5" / 106.7 cm to 158.8 cm
TrekPod XL= 42.5" to 62.5" / 106.7 cm to 158.8 cm
TrekPod II= 47" to 62.5" / 119 cm to 158.8cm

Packable size:
Go! PRO in travel case: 23" x 4" x 2.5" / 58.4 x 10.2 x 6.3 cm (longest Go! tube length ~22" / 55.9 cm)
XL in included travel case: 23" x 4" x 2.5" / 58.4 x 10.2 x 6.3 cm (longest XL tube length ~22" / 55.9 cm)
TrekPod II (disassembled): Two components, approximately 35.5" / 90 cm or less, each.

Open Leg Diameter (tripod): 22" / 56 cm

I hope that helps.
Thanks, I think I have an alternative but similar monopod myself inthe VersiPod II. I'm intersted in a more traditional, and smaller when collapsed, monopod to augment my VersiPod now.
12-14-2014, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I can recommend the Manfrotto 680B used with Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head, roughly $70 here without the any head, see the link to the reviews mine included.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/manfrotto-680b-mono-pod.html

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-14-2014 at 02:38 PM.
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The Manfrotto 681B is a good option. I have the older 434B which is functionally and geometrically the same. It is 63" max height and that is about right for me without a head on and I'm 6'2". It worked a treat on a FA*600 I had for a weekend although I normally use my lighter duty one due to its light weight and hinge foot. A very simple hinge foot is all you need on a monopod IMO and should put the height about perfect for you.

The 680B might be a bit short at 61" but a bit more convenient due to shorter folded with the 4 segment.

Good luck choosing. You have a long list of options.
12-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I am amazed at how little information there is online about Monopods. There's tons about tripods and even just about heads but the information on Monos is very limited.

Given that Chistmas is closing in on us I went ahead and ordered the Gittos MM9780 so that my wife can have it in time to give to me

The main points about it that decided me were its overall height of ~70in, collapses to 21in, is rated at 33lbs, has a retracting spike, and costs $56. The fact that Gittos includes a carry bag is a nice plus but wasn't a deal breaker for me either way.
12-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #13

Now that you've had time to play with your new toy 😃 what do you think? I'm 6'4" so quite interested,
12-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Monopods tend to be rather specialized, it is good that you did the research to find what you were looking for. Finding quality Image stabilizing tools is often difficult, finding a cheap strong solutions is often like looking for a compact f/1.0 lens - it doesn't work that way. I'm 6' and I use a Manfrotto 694CX which brings my camera above eye level for me even without the RRS monopod head.
12-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Now that you've had time to play with your new toy 😃 what do you think? I'm 6'4" so quite interested,
It's taller that I need with K5iis + grip attached and w/o a head attached. And I'm not extending the botton section much. Very stable. I think it's a keeper. Are there better monopods? Probably. Do I need more? No. Glad I decided on a taller model. This way if I need to shoot downhill I can.