Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
[*]Needs to have 1/4 & 1/8th available natively.
What uses a 1/8" thread? What pitch is that?

I know it's too late but I have a Velbon RUP-L43, 21" (540mm) collapsed, 64.5 (1640mm) extended, rubber foot, not a spike and is only rated to 2kg (4.4lbs)

12-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
What uses a 1/8" thread? What pitch is that?

I know it's too late but I have a Velbon RUP-L43, 21" (540mm) collapsed, 64.5 (1640mm) extended, rubber foot, not a spike and is only rated to 2kg (4.4lbs)
I think he meant 3/8". The standards are 1/4 and 3/8.
12-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I think he meant 3/8". The standards are 1/4 and 3/8.
Thanks, I did.
01-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for this thread. I am also 6'3" +, and am currently finding the Manfrotto Compact Advanced to be a few inches short, especially when mounted on a lens, rather than a body.

Anyone else amused by the fact that a search for a monopod often turns up a gizmo to hold a phone at a distance for selfies?

01-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Thanks for this thread. I am also 6'3" +, and am currently finding the Manfrotto Compact Advanced to be a few inches short, especially when mounted on a lens, rather than a body.

Anyone else amused by the fact that a search for a monopod often turns up a gizmo to hold a phone at a distance for selfies?
Yes! Biggest impediment for me in my research were those things. The Giottos is working very well, tall enough to not have to use the entire small section. Really steady. BIG top plate. I think its a steal at <$60.
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm a bit over 6'3" and my monopod that I use is a Giotto MML3260B. It pretty well reaches out to my height at eye level. I have to crouch a bit.

I've also got a Leitz Tiltall tripod....works for me, but is heavy.

With anything like this, it's important to try it with your camera equipment to see if it meets your...individual....needs.

To be honest, I rarely use either...I mostly hand hold, even when using my Sigma 150-500 lens, attached to my K-5 with battery grip and two batteries. I say this to convey that, even with my heavy equipment I find I prefer the freedom without a mono pod or a tripod.

I do use my tripod with portraits, but that's about it.
01-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks, I think I have an alternative but similar monopod myself inthe VersiPod II. I'm intersted in a more traditional, and smaller when collapsed, monopod to augment my VersiPod now.
The VersiPod is a relabeled Trek Pod. I own one also. Since I have some back issues as well as foot and knee issues, I like the fact that it doesn't telescope up smaller in case I need to use it to support my full body (and on a couple of occasions, I have). It is a little short and I'm 6 ft even. Even with a ball head rather than the mag mount head, it's still a little short. I have another "monopod" and that's the telescoping center column from an old Quantaray tripod that fully extended is 72 inches. It's light and closes up to less than 18 inches. I tend to use that more when I'm not actually hiking as it's longer and it also works great completely closed up when I'm in my kayak. Glad you found something that works for you. A lot of tripods and monopods seem to be designed for people 5'6" and under.

01-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The VersiPod is a relabeled Trek Pod. I own one also. Since I have some back issues as well as foot and knee issues, I like the fact that it doesn't telescope up smaller in case I need to use it to support my full body (and on a couple of occasions, I have). It is a little short and I'm 6 ft even. Even with a ball head rather than the mag mount head, it's still a little short. I have another "monopod" and that's the telescoping center column from an old Quantaray tripod that fully extended is 72 inches. It's light and closes up to less than 18 inches. I tend to use that more when I'm not actually hiking as it's longer and it also works great completely closed up when I'm in my kayak. Glad you found something that works for you. A lot of tripods and monopods seem to be designed for people 5'6" and under.
True but the MM9780 doesn't require the smallest section be more than 2-3in out in order to work beautifully for me. I hear you about the Trekpod/Versipod being sturdy because it only has 2 sections. I use it when I don't have to carry it too far (from the car to the soccer field) but wanted something more compact to take on longer outings where its size would make it more portable.
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

My Versipod performs mostly as a hiking staff with secondary photography duties. I doesn't get much use in winter due to it's lack of basket to keep it from sinking too deep in the snow. My suggestion for anybody buying a tripod or monopod is to avoid the internet and visit a brick and mortar store and actually see if the product will fit and perform what you need it to do. Of course, you can always check it out in person and then order it online.
01-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Versipod performs mostly as a hiking staff with secondary photography duties. I doesn't get much use in winter due to it's lack of basket to keep it from sinking too deep in the snow. My suggestion for anybody buying a tripod or monopod is to avoid the internet and visit a brick and mortar store and actually see if the product will fit and perform what you need it to do. Of course, you can always check it out in person and then order it online.
Easier for some folks to do. The only photography store near me that isn't 90%+ compact cameras is 30mi away through some of the worst traffic in the US and is crazy busy on the weekends (which is the only time I can get there). That's why I ask lots of questions here, read reviews, look at Google Images for actual field use of the item, and generally spend a lot of time researching the issue. In the end I am very happy with my choice despite never having touched one prior to opening the box after purchase. Would I prefer to drop into B&H and Adorama - absolutely.
01-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I bought a tripod online and within 30 minutes of using it developed a hate/hate relationship with it. Finally after a yr I went to a camera store, the only one in 70 miles and after seeing the rows of mono/tripods it was overwhelming... Aghhhh which one? Well I had to ask for help, told him I was willing to spend x-amount, and that I had the K3 and it slipping around wasn't an option. I absolutely love the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB tripod the sales rep pointed out.
01-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I bought a tripod online and within 30 minutes of using it developed a hate/hate relationship with it. Finally after a yr I went to a camera store, the only one in 70 miles and after seeing the rows of mono/tripods it was overwhelming... Aghhhh which one? Well I had to ask for help, told him I was willing to spend x-amount, and that I had the K3 and it slipping around wasn't an option. I absolutely love the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB tripod the sales rep pointed out.
Glad you got your problem solved. I've been fortunate in the help offered here over the years. My Manfrotto 055XPROB and Giottos MM9780 are each excellent and work precisely as I expected.
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I built my own from a left over leg off a vivitar professional tripod. Each 3 section leg is 27 inches all compressed. Any round tube tripod will do. To mount the monfretto ball head I took a dowel the same inner diameter of the big leg, drilled a 3/8 hole through the dowell, then cut it diagonally
Gluing a 3/8 bolt to one half the dowell I then inserted it all into the leg. The taper causes the dowell to pinch the leg when you screw the tripod head on
01-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes! Biggest impediment for me in my research were those things. The Giottos is working very well, tall enough to not have to use the entire small section. Really steady. BIG top plate. I think its a steal at <$60.
One of the legs of my Giottos Vitruvian tripod (my favorite out of the studio) screws off to be a monopod. It is nice and sturdy, but it has a large screw end which is only good for attaching to the center post. I'm sorry if I am asking you to repeat but why did you go with the 9780 rather than the slightly longer 8680? Sturdier? Price?
01-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One of the legs of my Giottos Vitruvian tripod (my favorite out of the studio) screws off to be a monopod. It is nice and sturdy, but it has a large screw end which is only good for attaching to the center post. I'm sorry if I am asking you to repeat but why did you go with the 9780 rather than the slightly longer 8680? Sturdier? Price?
Two main reasons. The 8689 is 3x as expensive and has a studio foot not a spike. Also, fewer sections means sturdier in my experience when they're roughly the same total length.