Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Not sure about the Sirui T-025X

I am looking for a tripod I can hike with and the Sirui T-025x sounds great. Small and lightweight. The review here also sounds very good. But on B&H and other sites I have read reviews that state that this tripod is really not suitable for a DSLR and not stable enough.

Does anybody here have one? Does it work for you? I have a K-3 and will be using the tripod with lenses like DA 12-24 or Samyang 10mm weighing aorund 500g.

---------- Post added 12-15-14 at 10:11 PM ----------

I should add: I don't know any camera stores in the LA area where I can take a look at one. That would be best.

12-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have one and I use it with my K-3 and my Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 (which is a similar size and weight to your DA 12-24) and the stock ball head. It is very sturdy and I have had no issues. With that set up I have had no slippage nor bending. It has been completely reliable. I have been using it for almost a year hand take it on every hike I go on, which has included Red Rocks near Vegas, nearly all strenuous hikes in the Yosemite Valley, and the Catalina Mountains in Tucson. My only qualm is that it is a little short for me (I'm 6'2"). I highly recommend it.
12-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used mine for about a year.....very happy with it....it is what it is though.....a tripod optimised for compactness/weight/convienience.
12-16-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm the author of that T-025x review, and I have extensively used it with my cameras (up to K-3) and sometimes even the DA* 60-250.

Have you seen the video that was in that review on the Ballhead page? I strongly encourage you watch it to get an idea of just how strong that unseeming ballhead is

Also, regarding stability, have you seen the laser pointer test in that review? Or the "Real World Usage" page with tons of sample photos, including some detailing long exposures? Recently did a few 30s exposures with the K-3 and DA* 16-50 with no sagging.

Not trying to push it too hard, but I'm very passionate about how since getting it, it's literally the only tripod I use. I have a larger one that I keep 100% in my "studio" now - I never take it with me anywhere.

My only recommendation is get yourself a good Arca Swiss plate, preferably an L-plate (I use a cheap Benro universal plate that I got for $20 on eBay). The tiny plate that comes with the tripod is woefully inadequate and has a tendency to have your camera rotate/sag when in portrait orientation.

Hope this helps.

-Heie

12-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try the 1205X which I believe is a later model. I have had no problems using it with K3, DA*300 f4 and Pentax HD 1.4x RC. Great for hiking.
12-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

I recently purchased a T-025X following the positive review by Heie and I'm pretty happy with it - it's SO light and compact!

I attached a K-5 with the DA*60-250 at maximum zoom to it, all legs and the vertical column fully extended, then turned on live view with 10x magnification. When you touch the camera, there is a noticeable wobble which dies off after about 10 seconds, after that it's as sturdy as anything. Even after half an hour there was no sagging.

You should however best use it with the mirror up function to avoid camera shake, and it definitely isn't made for use in strong winds. When using a heavy lens (such as the DA*60-250) and hang your camera bag from the center column to increase stability the legs do however bend quite a bit. But all things considered it is a great tripod for hiking.
12-16-2014, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Instead of repeating myself, here's what I wrote about that tripod:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/259167...ew-inside.html

Like Heie, I have not used my other tripods once wince I got this one. Not once. It is sturdier than any aluminum tripod I have used and it has let me do 15 minutes night exposures without problems. It's just so good at what it does, I'm constantly amazed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
The tiny plate that comes with the tripod is woefully inadequate and has a tendency to have your camera rotate/sag when in portrait orientation.
I find the plate fantastic, in truth. It's so small, with a low profile, I leave it permanently on my camera. Never done that before. It has not twisted or slipped once in about 6 months. I don't feel that I need another plate.

12-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! I think I will go for it.
12-16-2014, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Second that
I bought it on the strength of Heie's review, never failed me yet, its a great little tripod, you won't be disappointed
12-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Second that
I bought it on the strength of Heie's review, never failed me yet, its a great little tripod, you won't be disappointed
The T-005x can be had for $100 less with the same head on Amazon. Does anybody know how they compare? Is carbon fire more sturdy? The weight difference is pretty small.
12-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
The T-005x can be had for $100 less with the same head on Amazon. Does anybody know how they compare? Is carbon fire more sturdy? The weight difference is pretty small.
All I know about the T-005X is that it is slightly heavier. Also, cf tripods are generally more vibration resistant. I too would like to see a comparison between the T-005X and the T-025X.
12-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The T-005 also has a lower capacity if I remember correctly. I bought one for our Cuba trip and thinks it's great. But we only use when flying or with the lighter cameras because otherwise we have a 190 and 055 Manfrotto with us due to LF and MF gear. If it going to be your main tripod I would get the 025, in fact we might get one ourselves some day.