Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DSTE LI190 battery Review

I can no longer recomment the DSTE lithium Ion LI190 battery from Ebay.
The batteries for the K30 are ok after 1 year , however the LI190 is a big dissapointment.

The batteries I ordered for the K3 are sub par in quality and both have swelled up and will not go into camera anymore after 3 weeks.
The website says they are same as original but they are not.
I dont know if its a incompatability issue with the Pentax charger or not , but when a battery swells up.....there is a problem !

Of other interest......ALL the EBAY sellers for DSTE batteries seem to be the same company (with different names) except for one.
They are impossible to deal with.....dont return emails with any discernable communications ......and completely ignore return warranty and wont replace or return.

I didnt expect much for the price on these , and even though initially looked good and had success with the K30 batteries.........They didnt work out very good at all with the K3.

Since I posted several places recommending these batteries and the seller DSTEMALL from Ebay , I wanted to correct my initial good praise for these.

I had to file a claim just to get my money back as they seemed incapable of communication or understanding.

Pentaxians....use discretion with these from various sellers on EBAY !

12-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been very happy with my Washabi batteries over the past 3 years or so. No problems, perform exactly like original Pentax batteries.
12-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Been very happy with my Washabi batteries over the past 3 years or so. No problems, perform exactly like original Pentax batteries.
Im glad to hear this as my Amazon order arrives today !
12-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Im glad to hear this as my Amazon order arrives today !
Theyve been excellent and I like their charger better than the original Pentax charger too.

12-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Still can't understand why someone would risk a $1000 camera to save a few bucks ?
There have been reports of those 3rd party batteries setting on fire, even off the charger.
12-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Still can't understand why someone would risk a $1000 camera to save a few bucks ?
There have been reports of those 3rd party batteries setting on fire, even off the charger.
Does Pentax actually make batteries? If so, then I can see spending 4-6x for their product. Otherwise.......
12-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My battery experience

I have used both Pentax and "internet" batteries for K-10, K-20, K-7, K-5II, and K-3, plus the yellow brick. I have never had a genuine Pentax battery actually die on me. Also, the Pentax batteries seem to hold a charge longer. Several of the after-market batteries have bit the dust, no longer chargeable, and/or they do not hold a charge as long when installed in the camera.

That being said, I still use the cheap batteries. For my kind of photography, the shorter life and occasional failure are not really that important. If I were a professional needing absolute reliability, I would use only the real Pentax batteries. If I were on a shoot long way from battery sources, I would use only the Pentax batteries. I also use after-market battery grips with optional AAA battery chamber, another safeguard against blown batteries. Not having this option would push me in the direction of avoiding the cheaper batteries.

12-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Theyve been excellent and I like their charger better than the original Pentax charger too.
I agree 200%. Pentax charger is annoying to use.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
I don't know that I'd trust random crap generic unlabeled batteries from random eBay sellers, but buying from a company like Blue Nook (the people who make Wasabi batteries) that is a well-established battery company with loads of good reviews across their product line over several years? No reason not to.

---------- Post added 12-22-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have never had a genuine Pentax battery actually die on me. Also, the Pentax batteries seem to hold a charge longer. Several of the after-market batteries have bit the dust, no longer chargeable, and/or they do not hold a charge as long when installed in the camera.
I haven't had any Pentax batteries die, but I've only been using Pentax for a couple of years. My Wasabi batteries seem to have a better battery life than my old Nikon batteries did in my old Nikon, and in the Pentax as well. I haven't seen any noticeable reduction in capacity over time with either.
12-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

I can no longer recomment the DSTE lithium Ion LI190 battery from Ebay.
The batteries for the K30 are ok after 1 year , however the LI190 is a big dissapointment.!
I have 3 DSTE batteries. One battery I bought about 2 years ago for my K-5 IIs. The other two I ordered for my K-3 about 9 months ago.
I have never had any issues with these batteries. If there is any capacity gain of the original ones then it is really very minor. I would recommend DSTE batteries to anyone without any hesitation.
12-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

I have 2 Pentax batteries and 3 Wasabi Power batteries and they seem to be about even in terms of overall performance. I don't believe I've ever had a DSTE battery but I certainly won't be purchasing any now! Good thing you purchased them through eBay, their Buyer Protection policies are pretty swell.
12-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Pentax charger is annoying to use.
Why ? You put battery in it charges. What else do you expect !?
12-22-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
Why ? You put battery in it charges. What else do you expect !?
A small black box with a fold out plug that fits in a pocket and doesn't require a cable? Ideally, with a DC input and a car charger cable. And even better if I can use the same base for any pentax battery just by switching the front plate on it, so I only need 1 charger while traveling with k5 and q.

---------- Post added 12-22-14 at 07:52 PM ----------

both have swelled up
QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
pretty swell.
I hope that was intentional, because I laughed out loud.

Last edited by narual; 12-22-2014 at 05:56 PM.
12-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #13

No that actually wasn't intentional but now that it's apparent it is pretty funny.

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote

I hope that was intentional, because I laughed out loud.
12-23-2014, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
No that actually wasn't intentional but now that it's apparent it is pretty funny.
I must have a dead sense of humor....lol.
No...in all seriousness. I had good luck with the K30 DSTE batteries and think they actually last longer than the OEM.
Its just the DSTE K3 batteries that swelled almost immediately.

BTW....pentax DOESNT make their own batteries. Im quite sure they are made from some battery company somewhere... FOR Pentax.

So why would I risk a $1000 camera with unknown batteries ??? Well...lets see.....Im going to make an educated assumption that the camera has built in voltage protection that will limit any variances above and below a specific voltage level so its protected quite well.
Also....mine isnt a $1000 K3. I paid less for it than I did my K30 @ $582 after discount on Ebay !
On my K30 the OEM battery from Pentax had a "not too impressive " life and I simply wont buy any electronics batteries for anything that is OEM. Its a waste of money as most manufacturers also skimp to a degree on the Battery !

As far as batteries "catching fire" , "Melting" , or randomly "Exploding"........Thats the nature of them if you throw them in a bag or your pocket where "Something" can short the contacts ???
So carry your spares in a well protected package or pocket where filters , lens hoods , or anything metal cant short the contacts and possibly cause a problem ??
It doesnt matter if its a OEM or anything battery....put it in your pocket with some loose coinage ....... you might possibly have a "Pretty Swell" Time of a different nature !.....lol.

My pockets arent very deep as some......... I have to scrimp and scrape loose change to enjoy my Pentaxes to any large degree at all and really pinch pennies...... So its China-bay for me....and my keys are in a seperate pocket !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-23-2014 at 11:59 AM.