Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
A favorite of mine, the Redged RP-3. It's $50.00 US ; I got mine from Amazon, and I think Adorama sells the line, too. My requirements were the same as yours, csa. I use it with a DA*300 lens and it is more than adequate with respect to weight capacity. The head is simple and fast to use, and fidget free. Here is a link to a video demo:

12-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PrairieDog, thank you! That is exactly what I'm looking for, and I found it at Adorama! I like that one can add a QR plate later on, if desired, also.

It has been ordered, thanks everyone for your assistance!

Last edited by csa; 12-27-2014 at 12:00 PM.
12-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be a little over your budget but the Novoflex get some good reviews.

Novoflex Ball and Socket Head 30 - Supports upto 11 lbs BALL30
12-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a 234 tilt head with a Bigma on my monopod and I'm sure that weighs more than your planned lenses.
I do use the lens tripod mount to attach it so it is balanced well.

12-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys; I've already ordered the Redged RP-3 that Prairie Dog suggested. It should be here Friday.

I'll let you know my thoughts on it, after I get to use it.
01-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just received my Redged RP-3 ballhead. (Thanks again, Prairie Dog!). It's definitely built well, and is heavy, not a flimsy setup! I can't wait to try it out with my monopod and my Tokina 400 lens for birding! And no, I would never leave a camera on a monopod unattended!

This setup will be more convenient for a quick grab n' go, than my main heavy duty tripod.
01-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the Benro monopod extended, with the feet opened.

The second photo is of my new RedGed RP-3 ballhead. This is a nice, heavy duty one!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry about the quality; these were taken without the built-in flash, as using the flash washed out the image too much.
01-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Looks great, CSA; hope you enjoy it. I just used mine a couple of days ago, all the while appreciating its sturdiness and simplicity (atop my Giotto's monopod).
01-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again! I really am impressed with the quality of this unit! It will work very nicely for me!
01-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had a small window of clear weather & above zero temp, so I got to try out the Benro monopod with the RedGed head! I must say, I love this combination! I was using a 400mm lens, and it was so easy to adjust the ballhead with this heavy lens. The ballhead definitely does not slip, even with this heavy lens; a very quality product!
The monopod also turns in it's base, so you can swing the camera around without touching any controls. While I never turn loose of the camera on the Benro, it's wonderful for a firm base to reduce shaking. The three feet really help! Also, I leaned against my house waiting for birds, and it's very easy to lean the monopod on it's feet with you!

All in all, this is a great "grab n' go" setup for photography!
01-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the little Manfrotto and a few other heavier ball heads I can use. I will be interested to hear how often you end up using the ball on the monopod. I use the monopod for quick shots of birds and other subjects where I don't have time to fiddle with the tripod. For me, there are few times when I can deal with a ball head but not a tripod.
01-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have the little Manfrotto and a few other heavier ball heads I can use. I will be interested to hear how often you end up using the ball on the monopod. I use the monopod for quick shots of birds and other subjects where I don't have time to fiddle with the tripod. For me, there are few times when I can deal with a ball head but not a tripod.
The weather hasn't been cooperative for me to get out & use this setup more; but from my first impressions, I really like the ball head on the monopod. For me, lugging out my heavier tripod, is not an option when I have this little grab n' go. That's why I went this route. The only drawback I see is that one cannot turn loose of the camera on the monopod, whereas on the tripod, I can. That's a small price to pay for a lighter support.
02-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #29

RedGed RP-3 ballhead

Based on your suggestions I got this RedGed RP-3 ballhead ($49 at Adorama), and find it a little strange behaving:
* Camera plate turns and fits easily into one of the side-slots, while fits very tight in an opposite side-slot;
* Camera plate does not turn easily around its axis in that 'tight' side-slot, but when done, looks like camera plate wants to turn around its axis anticlockwise, but does not turn clockwise;
* After loosing the main lever, the very thin base of the ballhead turns into one direction (like panoramic base), does not turn into opposite direction.
Is that such a design, or my unit is faulty?
The purpose of this ballhead is for my Sirui cf 326 monopod, as I have ArcaSwiss Monoball for Gitzo Explorer tripod.
Question:
Is that possible to remove top camera plate, to be replaced with Arca compatible QR-plate? Or just fix the QR-plate to the main plate?

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The second photo is of my new RedGed RP-3 ballhead.

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-06-2015 at 12:06 AM.
02-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure I'm following you. With the lever loosened, the camera plate fits into the left or right slot very easily on mine. When the lever is tightened, while the plate is in one of the slots; it holds the ball very securely.

I would assume the camera plate just unscrews, and can be replaced with another; but I've not tried that, so can't say for sure.