Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Flash to accompany K5ii for wedding use

Hello all,

I'm new here, so thanks for having me!

I have owned a K5ii for the past year and love it. I will be photographing a couple of weddings this year so want to purchase a dedicated flash. I know the Pentax AF540 II is probably the best all round recommendation, but I really want to keep my budget to a maximum of 200. I'm looking at the Metz 44 AF1, the Metz 52 AF and the Sigma EF-610 DG Super.

One of the main features I am really keen on is rear curtain flash sync as I really like the creative effect it can give especially for a wedding reception on the dance floor. It seems that all of these models support this but I've read conflicting info as to whether this will work with the Pentax K5ii, especially for the Metz 44. Can anyone clear this up for me and possibly give me any feedback on these models.

The Metz 52 AF1 is quite a bit more expensive than the other two, so I'm wondering what gain the extra cost will give me?

As you can probably tell I have no experience in flash photography so just want to make sure i'm getting the best flash I can for my budget!

Thanks so much for your help.

12-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion is to go with the latest Pentax version II flashes if you can afford it. The new front LED feature is very nice and makes a big difference in terms of usability and versatility.
12-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

I've been using the Metz 58AF-2 for a couple years now for weddings, functions, events and portraits. The menu system is a bit of a pain, but I am very pleased with its performance. It's $359 USD, a bit above your budget but not by a whole,lot.
12-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Metz 58 AF-1 is still a great flash the differences between it and the 58 AF-2 are minor except for the price. I shot several weddings with the 58-AF-1 and it performed admirably. You might need a few set of batteries to shoot an entire wedding, preferably Powere-X or Eneloops. I prefer the Powere-X because I get more pops out of them.

12-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate that the Metz 58 is probably the way to go, but I think I'm going to give the 52 a try. I just cant stretch to another 100 right now. Hopefully it will do the job!