Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I just purchased a new tripod

I've been doing a ton of research on tripods/monopods and the more I've read, the more confused I've gotten. Finally found what i perceive as a good deal on a sturdy travel tripod which is the 3 Legged Thing X2.1a Dave Evolution 2 Magnesium Alloy Tripod System on Amazon. Yes, it's not carbon but the price was right, especially with the AirHead 2. The weight difference between carbon and magnesium is minimal, Vibration may be slightly more prone in mag but my thinking is strong legs will help keep that to a minimum. Does anyone have experience with this tripod or head? What has been your experience?

12-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't understand what is to be confused about?

I have never even heard of this brand of tripod but the one I use is very similar from the looks of the photos.

I use a Sirui T-025X....it looks very similar.
12-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Three Legged Thing make very high quality tripods. I have the "Brian," which is carbon fiber, so not quite the same thing but it has served me very well. I don't think you will have any problems.
12-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Cameras can still vibrate on the tripod head no matter how strong the legs and post are, especially when using a long zoom.
Good technique is still important and often better than very expensive sturdiness.

12-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Cameras can still vibrate on the tripod head no matter how strong the legs and post are, especially when using a long zoom.
Good technique is still important and often better than very expensive sturdiness.
Having never used a tripod before, what should I keep in mind when shooting?
12-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

With a tripod, use a cable or remote release - or - learn to set the self timer. When shooting a lot, I go to the hassle of pulling out the cable release but for a quick shot or two, I just set the 2-second delay, compose, focus, press the shutter and immediately take my hands away to eliminate vibrations from my body.

Some cameras can sense when they are on a tripod and shut down the image stabilization system. Others will only do that when the self-timer is used. In any case, check your camera manual and make sure IS is off when shooting on the tripod. The IS system can actually introduce movement while trying to find and off-set vibration that isn't there.
12-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Long lens shooters put their hands or arm over the body or lens. It dampens vibrations. If done poorly it can introduce movement as well.

Mirror up or live view on some bodies, remove straps so the wind doesn't catch them, hang weight below the base, don't use extension posts, to name few.

12-31-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, helpful comments. I plan to use it with my K-30 and Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm macro. The lens is a beast.
12-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always like to add weight to a tripod when using it outdoors. Mine has a hook on the bottom of the center post from which I can hang a bag with a few rocks in it. Sometimes I hang my shoulder bag around it.
12-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
what should I keep in mind when shooting?
Not to get straps hooked up on it or kick it over, as it's easy done.
01-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax cameras turn off shake reduction when you set the camera for remote or delay. The k-30 has the wonderful built in level and focus peaking, both great when using a tripod and live view.
01-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Pentax cameras turn off shake reduction when you set the camera for remote or delay.
Yep, but with a wired remote one doesn't use that setting and hence there is a risk of SR being on.
01-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For that lens you might want a macro rail also...