Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, I got a new camera, that uses a new accessory, that means a different bag..

Funny how its like dominoes when it comes to camera systems. So, my wife bought me the K-3 before the price went back up. She did a great job and got the best deal IMHO from Adorama with the Fly Card and Grip. Funny how I thought I was set with accessories after this Christmas

The Flucard works well. Tried it out last night shooting some star shots with the K-3 and Sigma 30/1.4. Lots of light pollution but I wanted to give it a try. But using the Flucard means that I need the iPad to control the camera. Nice, I enjoy tethering and its a real plus. But, where to carry the iPad? My Toploader is my preferred camera bag and the K-3 + Grip work in it. Then there is the tripod bag, and the Sigma 150-500 bag. Hmmmm, lots of fumbling which is decidedly not good with cameras and electronics in the field (particularly at night).

So, I went back in and found the Lowepro 250 Urban Photo Sling that I bought last month because it was $19 and I'm a bag junkie Didn't see where it was more useful than my Toploaders when I got it so I stuck it away in bag storage. But, it will carry the K-3 + Grip + up to the 70-200 in the main compartment, has room for up to 3 additional lenses of more standard size, and has a dedicated tablet sleeve in the back.

Took it out with the K-3 + Grip, 18-135, 30/1.4, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, and 15Ltd and the iPad and it worked very well. A bit fiddly to open all the way to access the extra lenses but not too bad. Once it was open and on the ground under the tripod the bag acted as a flat surface for the iPad to rest when working with the camera and tripod so that was nice too.So, now I have a bag for when I plan on using the Flucard. Does that mean I have a bag dedicated to an SD card? Am I that hopelessly addicted to bags for every job?!?

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-01-2015 at 10:32 AM.
01-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You just have to admit, there is no such thing as the perfect camera bag. I know, I have 6, 8, 10? bags (I actually can't count them anymore).
01-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
You just have to admit, there is no such thing as the perfect camera bag. I know, I have 6, 8, 10? bags (I actually can't count them anymore).
I am not alone. I'm coming to think I have 3 main bags for different outings. Toploader for sports, Urban Pro Sling for tethering, and backpack for long-term trips. Then there are the lens cases, the tripod case, the bag for the monopod, ........
01-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Does that mean I have a bag dedicated to an SD card?

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote

I have 3 camera bags "only" so far. I'm considering another small bag just for a camera+lens. If I bought 10 bags, I would have to buy a bigger flat additionally.

01-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote

I have 3 camera bags "only" so far. I'm considering another small bag just for a camera+lens. If I bought 10 bags, I would have to buy a bigger flat additionally.
Some of the bags can nest in each other.....saves money from getting a bigger flat so you can buy more bags.

01-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Funny how its like dominoes when it comes to camera systems. So, my wife bought me the K-3 before the price went back up. She did a great job and got the best deal IMHO from Adorama with the Fly Card and Grip. Funny how I thought I was set with accessories after this Christmas
Does that mean I have a bag dedicated to an SD card? Am I that hopelessly addicted to bags for every job?!?
First, congratulations on the K-3, or is that congratulations on the fine wife!

Yes, you now have a flu card kit!

I think I agree with everybody else that has commented, one bag doesn't fit all situations. I have a case for every lens (with belt loop or belt loop and strap) for carrying and storage. I have at least 6 camera bags of varying sizes, most were inexpensive or free. The small Pentax branded bag that came with my K-50 surprisingly gets a lot of use. I generally keep one of my cameras in it with 18-135 or smaller lens attached, can keep a small manual lens in an end pouch, Black Rapid strap in the other end pouch or main compartment, and batteres, remotes, SD cards, cleaning cloths, etc in the side pouches.
01-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

Yes, you now have a flu card kit!

I think I agree with everybody else that has commented, one bag doesn't fit all situations. I have a case for every lens (with belt loop or belt loop and strap) for carrying and storage. I have at least 6 camera bags of varying sizes, most were inexpensive or free. The small Pentax branded bag that came with my K-50 surprisingly gets a lot of use. I generally keep one of my cameras in it with 18-135 or smaller lens attached, can keep a small manual lens in an end pouch, Black Rapid strap in the other end pouch or main compartment, and batteres, remotes, SD cards, cleaning cloths, etc in the side pouches.
Thanks Tom. I forgot to mention the K-01 and Q dedicated bags.
01-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

Every wife who buys a K-3 to her husband can be undoubtedly called a very fine wife!

Just remembered the day when I got Acratech GP head (plus some accessories like nodal rail and L-bracket) from B&H. I went out to take over the package from the UPS driver and pay him approx. 350 bucks (only for VAT and customs).
When I opened the parcel and took out the stuff my wife glanced at me with surprise and asked "350 dollars for so small piece of plastic and metal?".
I did not want to encumber this moment by being more specific about the equipment price .

01-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Every wife who buys a K-3 to her husband can be undoubtedly called a very fine wife!

Just remembered the day when I got Acratech GP head (plus some accessories like nodal rail and L-bracket) from B&H. I went out to take over the package from the UPS driver and pay him approx. 350 bucks (only for VAT and customs).
When I opened the parcel and took out the stuff my wife glanced at me with surprise and asked "350 dollars for so small piece of plastic and metal?".
I did not want to encumber this moment by being more specific about the equipment price .
First, thanks. Second, been there myself!
01-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Solution?

Hello Robert,
You know the expression "This isn't a problem, it's an opportunity"? Oh, sure, that can (and frequently is) used as a mindless slogan to steer people away from the real fact (Yes, it IS a problem, a big one. We'll pretend it's going to be fun, even a chance to grow. That always works!).
But, sometimes it is true. New problem, new solution.
Bags are cheap, compared to most other camera accessories. You've increased your photographic capabilities with the flu card and ipad. You didn't need a bag to fit them before, because you didn't have them.
Same thing that happens when someone buys their first tripod, hot-shoe flash, long telephoto or big, fast zoom. Another (2nd) body. New bag.
I think of bags as purpose-driven. Macro bag, street bag, 'everything' bag, etc. 3 lenses, one body. 4-5 lenses, one flash, different bag. A dedicated film bag, good safe place to store my YG filters, film, mechanical cable release, other stuff that isn't needed for digital. One $25 eBay bag, I'm set.
If it is a problem it's a good one.
jmo,
Ron
01-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Robert,
You know the expression "This isn't a problem, it's an opportunity"? Oh, sure, that can (and frequently is) used as a mindless slogan to steer people away from the real fact (Yes, it IS a problem, a big one. We'll pretend it's going to be fun, even a chance to grow. That always works!).
But, sometimes it is true. New problem, new solution.
Bags are cheap, compared to most other camera accessories. You've increased your photographic capabilities with the flu card and ipad. You didn't need a bag to fit them before, because you didn't have them.
Same thing that happens when someone buys their first tripod, hot-shoe flash, long telephoto or big, fast zoom. Another (2nd) body. New bag.
I think of bags as purpose-driven. Macro bag, street bag, 'everything' bag, etc. 3 lenses, one body. 4-5 lenses, one flash, different bag. A dedicated film bag, good safe place to store my YG filters, film, mechanical cable release, other stuff that isn't needed for digital. One $25 eBay bag, I'm set.
If it is a problem it's a good one.
jmo,
Ron
Ron,
I'm with you. But, I somehow feel like my wife and her purses. I have a bag for every purpose and so does she
01-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ron,
I'm with you. But, I somehow feel like my wife and her purses. I have a bag for every purpose and so does she
That's why they make purse organizers or in your case a padded camera bag insert or two. So you can just swap the things you need from bag to bag as you need them. Makes it a lot easier. I have a couple of designated camera bags but mostly I just end up using them to hold stuff like straps and that. I end up using the inserts and whatever bag happens to be holding all the rest of my stuff at the time...
01-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cleared out my dad's camera collection recently, several old P&S cameras and a half-dozen bags of various ages and sizes. Sounds like this place is perfect for me to let a few go..
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I cleared out my dad's camera collection recently, several old P&S cameras and a half-dozen bags of various ages and sizes. Sounds like this place is perfect for me to let a few go..

Sell? A bag? (shudder) I guess that's ....possible.