Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Filters diameter strategy...

Hi, just bought my first two lenses, of course they have different filter diameters (72mm and 52mm).
And of course I plan to acquire new toys in the future and they'll certainly have diferent diameters too.

And... I'll use filters (I already do for my older camera)
- neutral / UV filter to protect the lens
- for this one my strategy is : buy a good filter for each lense that "diserve it"
- polarizing filter almost certainly
- ND filters

For the ND and polarizing ones I'm wondering :
- should I plan to buy one set (say a 77mm set or 82mm ?) and adapters 52 => 77 and 72 => 77) ?
Do you have different ND / polarizing filters for each of your favorite lenses or a similar strategy ?

Thxs

01-03-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I went the 77mm/step-up ring route years ago. While inexpensive compared to lenses, the cost of the same filters in multiple diameters does add up. Add a rubber hood and you're good to go. Although, for my rangefinder lenses I settled on a 49mm filter set because the 49s fit my NEX lenses and I use a 39-49 step up ring, because, well... a 77mm filter looks ludicrous on a 39mm thread lens.
01-03-2015, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulnelson Quote
Hi, just bought my first two lenses, of course they have different filter diameters (72mm and 52mm).
And of course I plan to acquire new toys in the future and they'll certainly have diferent diameters too.
FYI, if you shoot primes, most manufacturers keep the filter diameters pretty close. Pentax used to be 49mm and 52mm, so the difference wasn't quite so great. These days, I shoot a lot of zooms in addition to my prime lenses. I bought my ND and polarizer in the largest size I need and just adapt them to the smaller lenses. Actually, a lot of times I don't even bother with the adapter and just hold them out in front of the lens. Of course, I'm usually shooting stationary subjects from a tripod so that's fairly easy to do.
01-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a polarizer for each of the lenses I use the most: 49mm, 58mm and 77mm. I have ND filters only for 49mm as when I am shooting with an ND I am on a tripod and using a prime, which are mostly 49mm. I do not use step up rings, I tried them and found it just too fiddly for me. YMMV.

I also have ND grads from Cokin and the holder that fits on 49mm threads.

01-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For every day use, I have the set of Tiffen ND filters in 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm. The sets are inexpensive and its easy to store all three filter-packs in the camera bag.
When you get above 58mm, stuff gets expensive. I use 77mm filters with adapters for 72 and 67mm lenses. This makes it difficult to use a hood.
Right now, my largest graduated ND filter is 72mm and I need a 77. I really wish I had bought it in 77mm at the time.
01-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for your anwsers