Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

home made accessory?

so for xmas i got a gorillapod from my mom and dad (and while it isn't the most stable thing, it's quite versatile) and a couple of peak design straps from my brother.

the annoying part of this is that stupid pentax only puts ONE hole on their camera and grip, and it isn't even centered under the lens (on the k3 anyway).

the gorillapod has a mount that is best left on the camera, the hand strap has one that HAS to be left on the camera, and i still have my other tripod as well.

to add to all this, i also wanted a flat surface so i can just set my camera down and have it sit flat without tipping

so i just built my own little device to hold it all at once. a friend of mine is a machinist so he quickly whittled up a bit of aluminum, and then i shaped it a bit to fit my hand better. shooting portrait with this piece as well as the grip is no problem, and it's really not very heavy. i'm pretty happy with it.

are there any decent universal mount systems that are flush enough to not foul your hand while shooting portrait?

here are a few pics anyway, and obviously it isn't sitting flat because there's a 50-135 stuck to it. it's fine with the smaller lenses.

01-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great, innovative idea! It looks nice, & definitely fits your needs!
01-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done... I'd say that has some marketing potential.

Mike
01-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. If I dont like this one for whatever reason I may get the bottom of the grip scanned and try 3d printing one. But we'll see