Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oben 2320la review

I've been shooting with a Manfrotto 055xprob for the last 5 years. I needed a new head, so I bought a Sirui k-30x, intending on putting it on the Manfrotto. Unfortunately, the 3 screws holding my old head on the Manfrotto wouldn't budge. I was going to drill them out, but couldn't get a square angle on the screw due to the drill body contacting the tripod column so I decided to just leave it and buy a new tripod. I was going to buy another aluminum tripod but came upon an Oben 2320la at B&H for the modest sum of $199. Oben CC-2320LA 3-Section Carbon Fiber Lateral Tripod CC-2320LA 6x carbon fiber that holds 26.4 lbs and extends to 68.3 inches, weighing just 3.8 lbs. I'm not sure there's anything else available at this price point with similar specs. I'm very pleased with the height of the tripod with fully extended legs. Seems very similar to the Manfrotto. I'm 5'10", and it's pretty much ideal for me. The center column also will swing down at any angle which is pretty nice for macro work. I find the plastic leg locks and tightening knobs to be pretty cheap, however. I'm not sure how they will hold up over time. It does come with a 5 year warranty. Overall it seems like a great deal if you're looking for a CF tripod.

01-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 190 came with a 10-year warranty. Couldn't you send it in? I'm sure they could get the head off.
01-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That does seem like a great deal for a CF tripod.
03-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Just an update after using the tripod for a while. The plastic leg locks are indeed a problem. They've become very stiff and hard to close. I"m actually surprised one hasn't broken already. Additionally, a few grains of sand render them useless, which is a real disappointment for a seascape photographer like me. I've taken to vacuuming out the carrying bag every time I use it because sand inevitable ends up in there and finds its way into the leg locks. The legs also require a lot of force to expand and retract. I have to say I prefer the old Manfrotto in almost every respect except weight. And that weight had advantages. I could plant it in the sand no problem. The Oben requires that I plant each leg separately as it just doesn't have the mass of the Manfrotto. Overall a disappointment.

03-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the update. The whole "sensitive to sand" thing is definitely not good. Cheap plastic is also a problem (even though Manfrotto uses plenty of plastic, just it doesn't feel cheap).
01-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Final update. This tripod got pretty light use during it's first year. I never did care for how it operated. It always had balky legs. I put it away for the summer and when I took it several weeks ago two of the legs were frozen in their retracted position. I mean frozen like they were welded in position. Wouldn't budge a millimeter. Since it was still in it's first year of use and it had a 5 year warranty, I sent it back to Oben to see if they could fix it. After examining it, they said it had been exposed to salt water and therefore they wouldn't honor the warranty. Yes, salt water voids Oben's warranty. Meanwhile, the Manfrotto that has seen years of the same conditions that the Oben barely touched continues to be useful. Very sorry I paid $200 for the Oben. It really wasn't worth it.