Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Eye_Fi Oh My!

There has been a lot of discussion and difference of opinion regarding the Eye-Fi card. In response to one my queries a member flatly stated that they do not work.

Well, it's still early, but I received my Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB card today. I plugged the card into the laptop SDHC slot (it came with a USB adapter for computers without the SDHC slot) and ran the setup program. I then put it into the K-50 and enabled it in the menu and took a few picture. Without fuss or bother they instantly began uploading. Now I don't have to take the card out of the camera or plug in the USB cable. I put the camera down in the vicinity of the computer and turn it on and the pictures upload without fuss or bother.

This is exactly what I wanted. Yeah, tethering, remote control, etc. would be nice, but I can live without that. I now get my pictures without any intervention on my part. Yes!

Last edited by dakight; 01-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
01-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same here. Never had a problem setting up mine. So cool to takes pix (with any camera that takes a SDHC card) and have them show up on my Galaxy note, to show people at a party, Disneyland, etc.
01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

The original Eye-Fi HOme Video 4 Gb card didn't always work correctly in my *ist-D, but my Eye-Fi Pro X2 8Gb works just fine in my K-5, no problems at all.
01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto. I use it to send jpegs from slot two in a k-3 while slot 1 saves raw.

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 01-05-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
01-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Question: Can I take the card out of the camera and plug it into my SD card reader that is built into my PC? Will it transfer files the old fashioned way? Plus will it wirelessly transfer RAW files as well as JPEG's?
01-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Question: Can I take the card out of the camera and plug it into my SD card reader that is built into my PC? Will it transfer files the old fashioned way? Plus will it wirelessly transfer RAW files as well as JPEG's?
Yes, you can. It works like a regular SD card too. However, when you insert it into your PC with Eye Fi's software loaded onto it the card will start transferring through your WiFi to your computer. I had this happen to me when I wanted to copy images over the old fashioned way.
01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine seems to work as I'd hoped, except I've been using it this way so long I don't remember how I set it up. I think I had to go through a few phases of trial/error, but it works fine now. I shoot RAW/JPG and set the card up to send jpgs to my phone so I can check out photos on the bigger screen, and maybe edit with Snapseed or share on occasion. I take the card out and send RAWs to Lightroom the old-fashioned way. My biggest problem is remembering to either reformat the card when I'm done, or take it out of the computer and put it back in the camera. I hate it when I get somewhere to find my camera has no card.

01-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

BTW are talking about EyeFi mobi or pro?
01-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine is the Eye-fi pro. Transferring jpegs is very quick but raw files take some time because they are substantially larger. It usually isn't a problem but if I don't want to wait I just pop the card out and do it the old-fashioned way.
01-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What is the difference between Mobi and Pro?
01-29-2015, 02:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have both the pro for me and the Mobi for my wife's camera, but Pro would send raw files and could either act as its own WAP or through the one in your location. The Mobi only works as its own access point, and it does not transfer RAW over wifi. As someone else mentioned, I never found RAW transfers on the Pro all that useful because they are very slow.

I bought the Eyefi back when it was just about the only mature product, but now there are other solutions I like better. Ezshare, for example, is cheaper and works better for raw. You can set up to view jpegs as shot, and download the raw later.It also works with or without an app.
01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see the jpegs on my phone within seconds using my Eye-Fi Pro X2. That suits me perfectly because I don't typically have a computer available when I'm out shooting.
02-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

FWIW I find the transfer speed for raw files much more acceptable on the Ezshare with the mobile app. The trouble is that without some other hardware, the storage on the phone is pretty limited. The phone really is only useful for viewing or sharing the JPEG. I usually have my JPEG set small for that reason.
02-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have more storage on the phone than I have in the camera. The phone is primarily for quick review of my shot and it also passes them on to the EyeFi server which in turn downloads them to the desktop computer's One Drive folder which is then synchronized with OneDrive in the cloud. Maybe not the most efficient way to handle them but it works for me.