Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone have a Billingham Hadley Small bag for a compact K-5 II kit?

Hi, I often wonder if the perfect camera bag is like the Holy Grail; a lot of people have searched for it but it remains elusive for us mortals. Earlier this year I upgraded to a K-5 II and acquired three pancakes (DA 21, DA 40, DA 70 Ltds) over the past 6 months. Presently I cary them in a Timbuk2 Snoop camera Messenger (small) bag along with an AF FGZ 360, a Stofen, a remote, a few filters, and 3 Lenspens. The bag fits everything in but I have to keep the Ltds in their leather pouches to keep them from bouncing around.

I'm looking for a small high quality bag to carry this assortment. Preferably a bag where I can stack two primes and not use the leather protective cases. I have looked at the Think Tank Retrospective 5 and it seems to fit the bill nicely however a Billingham Hadley Small doesn't cost much more. Unfortunately there is no camera store on this island that carries the Billingham or would be willing to bring one in unless it is paid in full (and non-refundable). Does anyone in the Pentax community have experience with the Billingham Hadley small? What will it carry?

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 01-08-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
01-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Love my Domke "little bit smaller". The one with the rougher material. My favorite part is never hearing the silence shattering Velcro (hook and loop) every time I want something out if it. Fits plenty but there is two larger sizes if you want bigger. Comfortable, quick and easy. Doesn't scream to people that you are carrying a camera around either. Little less flashy than the Billingham but I like it that way.
01-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/285230-crumpler-6-m...b-h-50-fs.html

Smokin' deal!
01-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you see this, on the Hadley Pro.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/272709...small-bag.html

http://www.billingham.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/67/category/4/

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-08-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add link
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. The Crumpler is a deal but I was looking for a more traditional, simple bag. The Domke may be an option; does it have a fully padded insert? The specs on the Hadley small indicate that the depth is only 3 /18" while a K-5 II measures just under 4" from the bottom to the top of the pentaprism/flash. What I'm wondering is if the K-5 will fit if you stuff it in and will there still be room for two primes and the 360 flash? Thanks for the Youtube link also. Cheers.
01-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

In the domke I keep my k5 with one lens mounted of the group of tak's and old k mounts I have. I have a tak 100mm macro f4, a m-50mm 1.7, smc 28mm f3.5, a smc tak 55mm f1.8, smc 135mm f3.5 and the kit lens 18-135mm. I stack the small lenses but all the hoods and everything is in there. The older lenses are smaller than new ones and if I need more space one day when I get more primes, the kit lens will probably free up enough space for two. Not the heaviest padding but I am not rough with my equipment. Thick bottom pad and the lenses are in a divided section. Domke sells other sections that can be used in their bags and the website indicates which inserts fit which bags. I also keep the charger and cables, cleaning cloths and such in the front pouch and a m42-kmount adapter in the top little zippered pouch with a remote control too. I still have room for little odds and ends and the kit lens will be gone when I get a flash.

It works for me. I just liked the product and am very happy I got it. I don't have experience with any others but with what I know I wouldn't hesitate to get another Domke. Doubt it would be because this one wore out either. Solid, built to last kind of thing.

Last edited by Handlebar; 01-08-2015 at 05:39 PM.
01-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #7

I have a billingham bag, ( bigger than what you are looking for) that is probably 35 years old and still going strong; been banged around all over the world. I also have a much smaller Domke bag that I really like except for one flaw; when closed, the top tends to leave a gap at the ends of the bag, so if the weather is funky you have to be careful. It has inner pocktes, but not padded.

01-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We use two of the older original Headleys (among some other BIllinghams and many other LowePros ect.). The Billingham Headly will swallow a K5 and one sizeable flash gun (a Metz 54 for instance) and one larger lens on the camera + 1 more large or 2 more small lenses. But you will need to provide your own separator if you stack lenses. I always use pieces of outdoor foam sleeping matresses for that prupose. I am not quite sure, whether the Headly Small is the same size or a bit smaller than the old Headly, though. Anyway Billingham bags are nicely made and nearly indestructible, which justifies their pricing in my eyes.

Ben