Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a pair of waterproof extrication gloves and I use glove liners with them to avoid sweat buildup within the waterproof glove. The combination is relatively warm, blocks wind, remains waterproof during snow and rain, and has sufficient dexterity to operate all the buttons.

I chose extrication gloves because they have waterproof variants that are more flexible (due to their nature of use) than waterproof winter gloves (like ski or snowboarding gloves).

01-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I start with a set of thin Columbia brand gloves that are thicker than glove liners but thin and flexible enough to be used like liners. That's good at around the freezing point. In colder weather I add a set of driving gloves on top.

If it gets too cold for that combo I switch to a thicker glove on my left hand, and keep my right hand with the thin gloves in a pocket with a handwarmer between shots.
01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the regular photographer gloves from off the shelf at Heny's, the only label on them is Keep in Touch" You can poke your index finger and thumb out through slits in the gloves. In really cold weather I wear thin wool gloves inside them. The ones with the rubber grippers. Then we have a larger set of fluffy insulated mitts to put on in case our fingers get really cold and need to be warmed up. And we also carry chemical hand warmers that we can activate and slip into the gloves or mittens, in case of a real disaster.

The mitts usually stay in the camera bag, but sometimes they are needed.

When it's cold out, prepare for anything that can happen.
01-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've only really shot down to about -10 C on a few trips. One trip, I used my bare hands (with a K10d). I had no real problems other than I didn't ever have the camera in my hands very long. I was snowshoeing at night, and I wore ski gloves while I wasn't shooting a camera.

Of course, more important, was that when I was in Iceland, the temp was more like -5 C, and some glove liners were perfect for photography. I got some that were likely polyester that actually keep my hands quite warm. I had outer gloves that were relatively thin, but they were a bit too bulky and I couldn't control my K5 much. The liners were just fine. I suppose if conditions were wetter, I would have had issues. But, when it was cold, it was dry.

The liners were some from REI and relatively cheap. I still use them for photography, but they are great for running too.