Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

gloves for photography (only with Pentax ;))?

What gloves do you recommend for use with Pentax system ?
I have some gloves from Lowe Pro, but at temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees Celsius do not feel comfortable with them.

01-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a very good question. Something I've never considered. Than again I've lived in the desert my whole life.
01-10-2015, 01:44 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Forum Member

looks like this is timely video for you;

01-10-2015, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
What gloves do you recommend for use with Pentax system ?
I have some gloves from Lowe Pro, but at temperatures of -5 to -10 degrees Celsius do not feel comfortable with them.
I use unlined leather gloves (warmer than you think if not too thin) which give excellent grip and contact with the camera and lens. I also bring wool mitts to wear over the gloves when I'm not shooting. I've used this combo down to -20 degrees C and it works great. If you're shooting constantly for longer periods of time it might be too cold, but especially in cold weather I tend to search out a motif, plan ahead, shoot and then mitts on until the next motif.

01-11-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers.
01-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I just read somewhere that it is extremely dangerous to touch anything made from metal(such as a lens) when you are in below 0 temperatures. Your skin will instantly freeze causing a painful frostbite and may even come off. The article also recommends using silk liners under mittens, or something like Pero described in his post.
01-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I just read somewhere that it is extremely dangerous to touch anything made from metal(such as a lens) when you are in below 0 temperatures. Your skin will instantly freeze causing a painful frostbite and may even come off. The article also recommends using silk liners under mittens, or something like Pero described in his post.
That's not quite true. I've touched many things made of metal with temps below zero, with no ill effects. However, you certainly do not want to hold something made of metal in those temps more than a moment or two. With photography, I find it cumbersome wearing gloves while actually taking the photos; so handle the camera with my right hand bare; and then putting my glove back on.

As a side note, growing up; many kids did damage their tongues by following dares to stick their tongue on a lightpost in cold temps! No, I was not one of them!

01-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The nice thing about the K10D and K20D is the shell is polycarbonate which doesn't transmit cold. I've had mine out in Yellowstone at -25F/-30C with no problem. I have a pair of thinly insulated leather gloves I can use to shoot with but not for very long in those temps. Better would be to set the camera on a tripod and use the IR remote to shoot from inside the car!
01-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That's not quite true. I've touched many things made of metal with temps below zero, with no ill effects. However, you certainly do not want to hold something made of metal in those temps more than a moment or two. With photography, I find it cumbersome wearing gloves while actually taking the photos; so handle the camera with my right hand bare; and then putting my glove back on.

As a side note, growing up; many kids did damage their tongues by following dares to stick their tongue on a lightpost in cold temps! No, I was not one of them!

Came straight out of the Nikon School of Photography handbook, but I don't remember having any problems with Metal lenses in the cold either and I live in Minnesota.
01-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you have costco in your neighborhood I recommend the 'smartphone gloves' for US$10.00 a pair. They are very good.
01-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just came back from taking photos in +5 degree weather with no gloves and my Pentax K-5 II. Actually I had leather gloves, but they were too thick to push the buttons on the camera so I left them in the car. No my skin did not peel off, but after about 5 minutes or so, I could not move my index finger. It felt like rigor mortis was setting in...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 01-11-2015 at 04:59 PM.
01-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use the Mechanix gloves. They are made for working so you can operate many of the controls and buttons without removing them. There will be times when you just have to take the gloves off, no getting around it. On really cold days, those hand warmer packets are wonderful. My K10D was much better for winter shooting than the K5. It was slightly larger and didn't have that stupid locking button on the mode dial that the K5 has. All that said, I can do a lot of shooting outside on cold days once I have the camera set up as I have no difficulty operating the shutter button, both half press and the shot, with even my extreme ski gloves on.
01-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

hjoseph you must have not lived in Minnesota very long, but at moderate temps (ie, between 5 and 95 degrees F) I have never frozen my skin handling a camera or a steel tool. At -10F, do not lick a steel pole. Most Minnesota kids either did this or watched as the doer was instantly frozen to the street sign. The danger is from the wetness on a tongue. Dry hands are Happy hands.
01-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried gloves like those dave shows, and while they are better than nothing, anything that has exposed fingers is not really good for extreme conditions. I have , over more than 30 years tried everything from work gloves, to thin leather gloves to gloves with flip up finger tips (like dave's) to hunting mits where the whole end flips up.

I think everyone will have a different perspective on this issue. For me, in near zero, the flip finger, or good work gloves are best. Below zero, I use well made insulated leather gloves. They are fairly good, and I can operate the switch , shutter and zoom if needed. The 4 way controller needs fingers exposed,must if you plan your setup before you go out, you shouldn't need to touch this
01-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Livnig in quebec city I have some experience with true cold... What I do during winter is use thin gloves inside larger mittens or gloves. That way when I need to take a picture I remove the outer, clumsier glove and my hand is still protected to some extend. I take the picture, put the larger glove back on, and keep moving.

I just read somewhere that it is extremely dangerous to touch anything made from metal(such as a lens) when you are in below 0 temperatures. Your skin will instantly freeze causing a painful frostbite and may even come off.
Even if that's 0 F, you won't instantly loose a finger if you touch something cold. Otherwise when you grab something in your freezer it would be a life hazard...

cold is bad but it's not as dramatic as what you describe.