Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help! with stuck tripod screw

So, I went to switch out my Acratech ballhead for my gimbal-style head, and I found to my dismay that the tripod screw was stuck in the Acratech head. See photo below. That leaves me no way to use the gimbal. Naturally, I tried to free the screw (WD40, screwdriver, etc), but to no avail. So, assuming the screw is there to stay, where can I get another tripod screw to put into the gimbal head? I looked online but didn't find anything matching; it appears to be a 3/8" but with that smaller diameter end, which I assume is on both ends.

Harumpphh!

Suggestions?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-18-2015, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Get two 3/8 nuts, tighten them together so they lock. You can then put a wrench on them to loosen it out of the head. Something like this:

01-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ice down the bolt, which should make it contract in size for a while, then try to unscrew it. You can also take two 3/8" nuts and thread them on the bolt, put one on half way, then put the other on and tighten it up against the first. That should provide a flat surface to use a wrench to unscrew the bolt from the ballhead.

01-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Although I am unfamiliar with that mount, Generally to remove a stud, you take two nuts And screw them onto the stud, and tighten them together. This will give you something to put a wrench on. And always turn from the lower nut.

01-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, that was simple, creative, and quick. Tried the two nut solution, and it worked perfectly. Can't believe I hadn't heard of that technique before.

Many thanks.
01-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Can't believe I hadn't heard of that technique before.
That's where the forum comes in real handy, cos someone it seems has always had the same problem too.