Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you think of this ebay-listed travel tripod?

I will be travelling internationally twice in the next few months and would like to take a tripod with me. Mine is small but not travel-sized small, so I am looking at picking up a travel tripod. Just saw this on Ebay (ignore the tripod head, which I would replace). Is it worth considering, especially for the price and since it converts to a monopod?

Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod Monopod w Ball Head for DSLR Camera Travel | eBay

01-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks large for travel. Also, if the brand was mentioned I did not see it. Red flag.
01-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This Sirui tripod might fit the bill. It is reviewed here.
01-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #4

For close to that price, you can get an aluminum mefoto. Great travel tripods. Looks like the one on eBay is a knockoff of it.

01-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I found the same tripod on Amazon (with other color options). Its a "Koolehaoda."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolehaoda-Professional-Carbon-Tripod-Monopod/dp/B00KZG0DCE

(When in doubt, Google Image Search is your friend with these un-named listings. )
01-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The tripod head is clearly based on the Beike head that's ubiquitous, itself copied from many other heads.

18 inches is too long for travel.

at that price, for carbon, I have strong doubts.

With tripods, everyone (including me) makes the mistake of buying cheap and end up upgrading, having paid more in total. You should start with a more expensive tripod but keep it for decades.

The Sirui T-025X is the best travel tripod hands down. Smaller, lighter, not too expensive, well made, a good head, sturdy, there is literally nothing wrong with it.
01-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I will be travelling internationally twice in the next few months and would like to take a tripod with me. Mine is small but not travel-sized small, so I am looking at picking up a travel tripod. Just saw this on Ebay (ignore the tripod head, which I would replace). Is it worth considering, especially for the price and since it converts to a monopod?

Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod Monopod w Ball Head for DSLR Camera Travel | eBay
I have something similar bought from Korea at a similar price and I have to say for travel, personally I love the tripod.
For small cameras like K-5 felt always sturdy and never really had any issues with it. It is my main travel tripod.
Not to mention that the mono-pod came in handy lots of times.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-19-2015 at 07:31 AM.
01-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at the Benro Angel II. It's legs fold up backwards like the Gitzo Traveller but cost less and is well made, compact and light (2.6lbs) Still cost more than this listing ...runs around $550 here in Canada.
01-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

Another pro is that you can use it for macro (it hangs upside-down) and also for table top pics
01-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Take a look at the Benro Angel II. It's legs fold up backwards like the Gitzo Traveller but cost less and is well made, compact and light (2.6lbs) Still cost more than this listing ...runs around $550 here in Canada.
That's why the Sirui is such a nice product. It's about 260$ CAD, lighter, more compact, just as sturdy as the Gitzo and Benro