Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Backpack for DA*60-250 and 16-50

Anybody backpacking with the 60-250? What are you using for a bag? I've been looking at the the LowePro Flipside 15l and the photo sport 200 but they both look to small for the 60-250. Ideally I'd like to carry some other non photo gear with me so I don't really think the flipsides will work but the photo sport 30l looks to large. Any recommendations? Ideally I'm not looking to spend any more than $250. Does not have to be LowePro.

01-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Clik Elite ProBody Sport w/ Computer Sleeve - fits my K-3, DA* 60-250 + 1.4TC attached and has sling-style access to your camera
01-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
or the Clik elite Venture 30. It does fit my K-7 with DA16-45 attached and a Tokina 400 MM lens (plus another small lens/flash). So it should also fit the 60-250. If not, the bigger model Venture 35 will for sure fit it. Otherwise, the Naneu Alpha L will fit it for sure.
Another solution would be, smaller bag for the camera with 16-50 and the 60-250 in a lens holster with you will hang off the hip-band. (my solution for the venture 30, when i take a bit more lenses with me.
01-21-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi. I've been laid up and unavoidably off the Forum for awhile, but I saw this up front after just getting back to look in and wanted to alert you to this -- the (fairly new) Andy Mann Signature Descent Sling Pack by Mountainsmith. I bought one. Plenty of space for other stuff in there, or complement it with a fanny pack. Much, much slicker in use than a backpack, if taking pictures is what you're out there for. Go to Andy's personal video on this model at the Mountainsmith main (not mobile) website, and everything will become clear.

01-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gastch Quote
Anybody backpacking with the 60-250?
Yes, often.

If you're serious about backpacking, please don't get a camera bag. Get a backpacking bag well fitted to you. Then get an insert for your camera gear.

As for me, I use a large 75 litres bag for long hikes, and a smaller 28 litres bag for day hikes. the latter is great because in addition to having a mesh back and a water bladder pouch, it has a bottom compartment fitted perfectly to an Ape Case Cubeze insert. The side pockets (for water bottles) are perfect to hold my tripod, and the 60-250 is either on the camera or in its own case in the top pocket of the bag (since it's a tad big for the bottom pocket).

You'll never find a camera bag that's really, perfectly well suited for hiking. And a poorly fitted bag can be the source of pain, discomfort, or plain injury.
01-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yes, often.

If you're serious about backpacking, please don't get a camera bag. Get a backpacking bag well fitted to you. Then get an insert for your camera gear.

As for me, I use a large 75 litres bag for long hikes, and a smaller 28 litres bag for day hikes. the latter is great because in addition to having a mesh back and a water bladder pouch, it has a bottom compartment fitted perfectly to an Ape Case Cubeze insert. The side pockets (for water bottles) are perfect to hold my tripod, and the 60-250 is either on the camera or in its own case in the top pocket of the bag (since it's a tad big for the bottom pocket).

You'll never find a camera bag that's really, perfectly well suited for hiking. And a poorly fitted bag can be the source of pain, discomfort, or plain injury.
well, actually you can find camera bags that are perfectly fitted for hiking. With internal aluminum frames, shoulder bands that can be completely adjusted. It is a big misconception that these days you do not have good camera bags for hiking. Years ago yes, these days no.
01-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It sounds like you are talking about carrying your gear in a backpack, and not backpacking (camping with only what you carry on your back).
If that's the case I can say that a Lowepro Flipside 300 will just barely hold both of those DA* lenses, each with a body on it. It's a tight fit but it works. Not much room for anything else. Without the second body, there is a little more room for small items the the fit is better.

If you really are backpacking, I think a backpack made for that is best with some kind of protection for your gear (wrap, insert, etc) to have it in there too. I know there are newer packs designed for backpacking photographers but the ones I have seen are expensive and not all that well designed for backpacking. Maybe there are better ones I haven't seen but I'd rather have a pack I know is practical to keep me alive and comfortable and I'll just make adjustments to bring photo gear.

01-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Mattb is correct that this carrying my gear in my backpack not backpacking. Mostly day to half day fishing excursions off the beatin path or out for a hike looking for something interesting to shot. Nothing overnight......at this point. I like the concept of the flipside but there is no room to store some other items like a jacket,snacks etc. The Photo sport looks to short from the video I saw on YouTube of a guy cramming a 70-200 2.8 in the back of it but then again I think the 60-250 is an inch shorter.
I like the looks of the Decent but again no room for non camera storage really from what I see and no place to strap a tripod to. The clik elite Probody looks like it might be a decent fit with out getting to cavernous in the top area. I also looked at F-Stop bags in particular the Guru with a Small Pro ICU. Its pushing the budget up to get it here in Canada and it kinda gets under my skin they make you by the rain fly and straps as extras. Oh and for at least now I'll only have one body the k-3 with me with maybe the battery pack down the road.
01-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

For a day hike I still use a hiking backpack with a travel tripod strapped to the side and wrap my gear in Clik Neoprene wraps to keep it from bumping together in the pack.
I have that Flipside and a Timbuk2 camera pack and they are nice for around town but not up to a wilderness hike and carrying water and other survival gear. I briefly had an expensive Clik pack but returned it because it was too bulky and not functional enough for my needs, especially for the money.
01-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gastch Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Mattb is correct that this carrying my gear in my backpack not backpacking. Mostly day to half day fishing excursions off the beatin path or out for a hike looking for something interesting to shot. Nothing overnight......at this point. I like the concept of the flipside but there is no room to store some other items like a jacket,snacks etc. The Photo sport looks to short from the video I saw on YouTube of a guy cramming a 70-200 2.8 in the back of it but then again I think the 60-250 is an inch shorter.
I like the looks of the Decent but again no room for non camera storage really from what I see and no place to strap a tripod to. The clik elite Probody looks like it might be a decent fit with out getting to cavernous in the top area. I also looked at F-Stop bags in particular the Guru with a Small Pro ICU. Its pushing the budget up to get it here in Canada and it kinda gets under my skin they make you by the rain fly and straps as extras. Oh and for at least now I'll only have one body the k-3 with me with maybe the battery pack down the road.
I think the Venture 30/35 would be better for your need than the probody sport. Especially the 35 will easily fit your equipment. The 30 also, but will be a bit tighter. And the top compartment is plenty big for other stuff.
01-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
well, actually you can find camera bags that are perfectly fitted for hiking. With internal aluminum frames, shoulder bands that can be completely adjusted. It is a big misconception that these days you do not have good camera bags for hiking. Years ago yes, these days no.
Let me be clearer.

You can find camera backpacks that are well made, sturdy, light. Sure.

What I meant is that when leaving for many hours/days, you will need a bag well fitted to you. Hip strap padding and length, shoulder strap width, length, top distance adjustment, chest clips, weight distribution, bag thickness, compression, you get the drift. Women also have different shapes than men, and require different bags (shoulder straps in particular). That's why there are so many brands and models of backpacks, because if you're going to wear it for a day or days on end, you need it properly fitted. Otherwise you're going to hurt and maybe injure yourself. (of course it's different if you're not going to wear the bag for more than a hour or two).

Now, Lowepro has maybe what? 3-4 true hiking models? Other brands less or equal than that. You COULD find a well-fitted bag for your particular shape. It's possible. But not likely. Plus all those I've seen were great as camera bag, but not nearly as good as backpacks (not enough space for extra stuff, for water, etc, not really designed for long hikes). The last time I checked was three months ago. And you're going to pay a lot more for a bag that's not very likely to be a perfect match.

My bag cost me 50$ (with rebates). My insert 15$ on Amazon. Comparable (but as good) products from Lowepro cost over 150$. Or more.

That's what I meant.
01-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Let me be clearer.

You can find camera backpacks that are well made, sturdy, light. Sure.

What I meant is that when leaving for many hours/days, you will need a bag well fitted to you. Hip strap padding and length, shoulder strap width, length, top distance adjustment, chest clips, weight distribution, bag thickness, compression, you get the drift. Women also have different shapes than men, and require different bags (shoulder straps in particular). That's why there are so many brands and models of backpacks, because if you're going to wear it for a day or days on end, you need it properly fitted. Otherwise you're going to hurt and maybe injure yourself. (of course it's different if you're not going to wear the bag for more than a hour or two).

Now, Lowepro has maybe what? 3-4 true hiking models? Other brands less or equal than that. You COULD find a well-fitted bag for your particular shape. It's possible. But not likely. Plus all those I've seen were great as camera bag, but not nearly as good as backpacks (not enough space for extra stuff, for water, etc, not really designed for long hikes). The last time I checked was three months ago. And you're going to pay a lot more for a bag that's not very likely to be a perfect match.

My bag cost me 50$ (with rebates). My insert 15$ on Amazon. Comparable (but as good) products from Lowepro cost over 150$. Or more.

That's what I meant.
Well that is excactly the thing. my photopack, i can adjust about everything, lenght of shoulderstraps (individually), the angle, the width etc. wasitband I can adjsut bit more up, bit more down. even leftright if needed. It has an internal frame. a very good adjustable sternum strap. and as I have one bad shoulder, I have adjusted it so that it takes most weight of that shoulder (yes it is that adjustable). And the longest I have had it in my back now is on a 4+ hour photo shoot. and no my back shoulders etc did not ache. So yes there are bags out there that can fit many people. ofcourse not all, and you have to look for them. But it is a very big misconception that there are no fully good adjustable photo backpacks out there, because there are.
01-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

But it is a very big misconception that there are no fully good adjustable photo backpacks out there, because there are.
To add to the confusion (more accurately, my confusion) about backpacks that might be good for camping and photo use, I was in a camping store the other day and saw some great looking 'Lowe alpine' backpacks, with a logo that closely resembles the same 'Lowepro' logo I have on some of my camera gear.

Turns out the Lowe brothers, through a history of various corporate changes, spawned several companies that now do outdoor gear, including backpacks.

Lowepro: Lowepro | About Us
Lowe alpine: Lowe Alpine - Our Story

However there seems some corporate agreement where Lowe alpine doesn't offer camera backpacks, whilst Lowepro does. That's a pity, since Lowe alpine seem to have lots of really well-designed proper trekking/hiking etc backpacks.
01-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

These are nice too if I am bringing much but the wraps are more compact and lighter.
01-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well that is excactly the thing. my photopack, i can adjust about everything, lenght of shoulderstraps (individually), the angle, the width etc. wasitband I can adjsut bit more up, bit more down. even leftright if needed. It has an internal frame. a very good adjustable sternum strap. and as I have one bad shoulder, I have adjusted it so that it takes most weight of that shoulder (yes it is that adjustable). And the longest I have had it in my back now is on a 4+ hour photo shoot. and no my back shoulders etc did not ache. So yes there are bags out there that can fit many people. ofcourse not all, and you have to look for them. But it is a very big misconception that there are no fully good adjustable photo backpacks out there, because there are.
That's nice. I'd like to know two things:

1-what model is that? Because I've never seen such a nice bag

2-how much did it cost?