Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot Shoe Cable Jammed in My K-50

Howdy,

I mounted a cable in reverse direction, and complete jammed it in the hot-shoe mount. Doesn't matter how hard I pull the cable, it won't come out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

01-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a wide flat head screwdriver and very gently tap from the front of the camera. Try not to have the metal edge of the screw driver touch the cable mount, but have something like a piece of wood between the cable mount and screw driver, that would be much safer. If it slips stop before damaging anything. The piece of wood (or whatever else would be non marring) need to have a flat edge about the size of the edge of the cable mount to avoid damage. Be very careful.

Maybe some duct tape on the screwdriver blade would work as well as wood to avoid scratches.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 01-21-2015 at 02:17 PM.
01-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't understand. How does a cable get stuck in the hot shoe?
01-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a big pair of channel lock pliers and crush the plastic head on that cord - if it is metal - ignore me.

01-21-2015, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Get a wide flat head screwdriver and very gently tap from the front of the camera. Try not to have the metal edge of the screw driver touch the cable mount, but have something like a piece of wood between the cable mount and screw driver, that would be much safer. If it slips stop before damaging anything. The piece of wood (or whatever else would be non marring) need to have a flat edge about the size of the edge of the cable mount to avoid damage. Be very careful.

Maybe some duct tape on the screwdriver blade would work as well as wood to avoid scratches.
That's probably what I'd do if I can't force the mount out by tomorrow. Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-21-15 at 03:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Take a big pair of channel lock pliers and crush the plastic head on that cord - if it is metal - ignore me.
My friend who's significantly taller and heavier than me won't let me go home easily if I destroy his cable
01-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See if a very thin feeler gauge leaf will slip between the two parts. You've got something hung on a slightly raised contact in the shoe.

Enough gentle pressure between the parts MAY bend and lift the plastic part just enough to clear the shoe's hang up too.

Look at the shoe on another camera to get a feel for what might be causing the conflict.
01-21-2015, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Brooke Meyer

It's probably a spring loaded contact dropped into the hole for the flash locking pin. A very thin feeler gauge may work but you may have to simply sacrifice the hot shoe taking it apart from above.

I stupidly put a Yongnou 603II trigger on a K-5 backwards and the destructively disassembling the $18 trigger was the least expensive option.

01-22-2015, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright. I admit I'm a person who don't really take care of my gadgets. I don't really care too much about cosmetic issues as far as the functionality is not compromised.

I essentially forced the plastic around the locking pin hole to be deformed by at bit and gave the spring loaded contact (like Brooke Meyer described) some room to retract. Meh, the locking pin hole is larger now, but at least I got the hot shoe out.

Here's a tip: don't ever reverse mount a non-Pentax hot-shot...

Last edited by whk1992; 01-22-2015 at 02:39 PM.