Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel Considerations - Mexico....

Hey All -

I am vacationing in Mexico next month and will be doing everything from beach to Mayan ruins. I intend to take my K5, DA* 60-250, Wide Angle Kit Lens, flash in my LowePro ProTactic.

A lot of the hotel / travel reviews mention stolen items in hotels, cars and other places. I will staying in some AirBNB and Hotels - and since I will also be doing some beach visits - not sure how to protect my gear when not in use. I am not worried when it is with me - as it will likely be on my back and the places I am traveling seem pretty safe.

Any suggestions / experience while traveling with gear? It's very unlikely that the places I visit will have safes that can accommodate my gear not in use.

I will be getting a rider on my homeowners - but would rather not have to use it.

Thanks for any input.

jcsnyc

01-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #2

Pacsafe 85 Security Web - Medium

These devices will make someone really break-in to your things-- i.e. use a wire cutter. I think that is a pretty good deterrent. they come in different sizes
01-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pacsafe does look interesting. From what I have read, most of the theft are easily taken items that might not be missed. Pacsafe would definitely make it harder and more obvious that a theft occurred.
01-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's too bad this isn't available for Pentax...

Gary Fong GearGuard Pro Kit for Nikon GG-PRO-N B&H Photo Video

I do think the cable would be the weak point - and you might be better putting a lock through the lens caps and using many locks interconnected by the cables but there are not going to be a lot of full proof options. The netting above in the other post seems like a good option.

Maybe this bag?

http://www.travelsmith.com/pacsafe-camsafe-venture-v8-antitheft-camera-bag/689062

01-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

re: Camsafe bags

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
PacSafe makes a v17 camsafe that might actually work with the 60-250 and that you could get cheaper than the bag you link to if you shop around. However, it won't really help when you leave the bag in your room.

I just bought the v16 slingbag which has a funny clasp that you really have to fiddle with to get the wire-reinforced sling detached. The idea is that you can strap it around a chair arm or a tree and a thief can't snatch the bag without taking the chair or tree with him. It will probably work for snatch and grabs, but not so much for leaving the bag in your room unattended. Also a sling bag has the tremendous security advantage (even without all the special Pacsafe security features) of being easy to swing around in front of you, and the disadvantage of not supporting the weight of a 60-250 as well as a good backpack.
01-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I generally lock things in a room safe when I am out without it, and when it is on me I keep my hands on it. A small lock on the zippers for your backpack is good. Also consider threading piano wire in your camera strap.
01-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I generally lock things in a room safe when I am out without it
This is the best deterent. You could also see if the hotel has a safe room you can leave things while you're out. I wouldn't leave it in anything that could be overcome with a utility knife.

01-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Any suggestions / experience while traveling with gear?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/286537...#ixzz3PaaHdWb5

Yes I recommend a point and shoot.
01-22-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've traveled to Mexico quite a bit. TBH most of the time I had the K5 with my 18-135wr on it. That will get nice pics, is WR, will fit in the room safe, and will likely stay on you when not in the rooms safe at your hotel.
01-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Overseas I rarely let my camera gear out of my sight. Thus, travel light is a good idea. I find the DA* 60-250mm plus a small kit of Limited lenses does the job nicely.

Michael
01-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great suggestions. The 18 to 135 is a good suggestion - as I can travel pretty simply with that - but I did buy some pretty solid lenses to be used.

I can't see leaving home without the 60 - 250 for the quality and ability to shoot wildlife and may supplement with my kit lens (18 to 55) or pick up a WR wide zoom.

I also want to bring my flash for the mayan ruins AND i like to use a flash for bird photography.

So I think the strategy is backpack with me at all times and some hotel safe solution for when I am going to snorkel or similar.

I also like the piano wire through the strap idea - will try that out this weekend.

I spend night and day with my gear in NYC - so not overly daunted but appreciate all the feedback.

Will definitely be adding a rider to my homeowner's just in case!

I will report back as I prepare more and after the trip.
01-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I live in Costa Rica and in some tourist places, it is very similar to Mexico.

Regarding safety of tour gear, let me share a couple of statistics related to stolen photo gear from tourists.

1. When photo gear is stolen, it would be that the whole camera bag is stolen, not opened and stel just some of its contents.

2. The actual stealing will happen at moments of "distraction"(sometimes created by the same thiefs), like when boarding buses, loading or unloading cars or any transport, at restaurants, while swimming (ocean or pool).

3. Steals by means of armed robbery or "grab and run" are rare but it may happen. It just takes a "flashy enough" piece of gear to provoke an attack on you.

4. Burglars will always target "anything" you seem to care much about. Handbags, pouches, backpacks, shoulders bags, messenger bags, purses, etc. They do not know what is in there. They just know it has some value for you. Photo gear, phones, binoculars, tablets, laptops, etc. Anything has a value!

You would be amazed on how much burglars "know" about photo gear (value). Do not underestimate their knowledge thinking they have no idea whats the value of whatever you carry.