Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
540FGZ & auto power off

Has anybody figured out how to defeat it?

I'm trying to incorporate the 540 into my strobist setup, but it's not make it easy for me. The flash shuts down after about 3 minutes. Not a problem if the flash is in the hot shoe, attached via a F5P, or in Wireless mode. Just tap the shutter release and you're good to go. However, if the 540 is off camera being triggered by a PC sync cord or optical slave, when it goes to sleep you have to turn the flash off, turn it back on, and then input all your settings again, unlike my SB 26s that remember all their previous settings.

What I wouldn't give for a firmware update, or a clever workaround.

Help.

05-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Groundloop,

I looked at the online version of the manual (found on the Pentax site) and on page 17 it seems to explain how to disable the auto shut off feature.
Go to http://www.pentaxslr.com/files/scms_docs//AF540FGZ_web.pdf

Now set up and get shooting !!!!

The manuals I received with my two 360's & my 540 were not very substantial. The online versions must be upgraded manual version (created from too many questions) and seem to include more information.

Spyglass
05-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks, spyglass! You're one of the reasons why this is such a great forum. I didn't know that the online manuals were more detailed than the printed ones. Thanks again and kudos!
05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Spyglass! You're my newest personal hero! Thanks so much. I too wasn't aware that the online manuals could be more informative.

Of course, when I get home, if I check the paper manual I got with the 540 and discover that nugget of wonderful is in there, I'll feel like a bit of a boob.

A lesson to us all...RTFM.

05-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, there is a lot of support on this site and I know that I have benifited from others here.
I try and download the latest manuals for all my gear because I have found that manufactures will make updates and changes from time to time. Plus I like being able to print out a page or two, take it into the field, scribble notes on it, etc. This is especially useful for automotive manuals, grease covered hands, or part runs.
Pentax is quite good about having online documentation for their product line. They even offer a basic (and I mean basic intro stuff) tutorial on their Flash units.

Good luck!